Home Main Category Clubhouse

Late October, early (I think) November

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,628 Senior Member
I am an old guy, 74 YOA, and have been lucky most of my life.  Went through VN in 68-69 uninjured, had three open heart surgeries in my life, 33 years as a LEO, where I saw some awful things. A divorce and a widower.  For me, the calendar of life is in the title of this thread.

So now I'm indulging myself.  Decided I can't bury my money, what little I have, and decided to go for tasteful purchases and accessories  in my guns. The stag grips on my 65 is an example. I've got a lot of guns I need to sell, just to get rid of them, but haven't done so at this time.  I keep collecting them, lately handguns.

So if I appear ostentatious, it's only so you'll be able to share some of my temporary pleasure and completely without any other reason.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,857 Senior Member
    If you gotta flash Gene, be flashy! If you gotta show, be showy. I enjoy seeing what others have.
    ;)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,740 Senior Member
    I'll be looking foward to the pics. Don't let that cat scratch up the leather furniture🐱
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    My bastard cat is now an outside cat.  I wish a coyote would get him.  He likes me, though, and spends the days beneath my truck.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,767 Senior Member
    A cat that actually likes you is a thing to be cherished.

As are wood handled Case knives, Hebrew National hot dogs,  and crispy French Toast.

Been close to the edge myself. Focusing isn't so hard anymore.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    I think my cat likes me, but he bites.  Almost cost me my good right arm when he bit me for no reason, drawing blood.  We were in bed, I was reading and he was sleeping when he reached over and nailed me.  Cat saliva has a lot of bad stuff in it.  Second time he bit me, first time was on the web of my thumb and index finger, not so bad but I bled. I was disabled for about a week or so with the arm bite, had to wear a sling and couldn't close my right hand because of swelling.  Went on antibiotics (strong) which made me crap in inconvenient times.  But I survived.
    Most cats only see a resource. They'll kiss butt if they want something from you. Otherwise, don't bug me I'm busy (sleeping).
    Cats and Cons have a lot in common. They want more than they give.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,426 Senior Member
    Spend some of that cash and drive to a SE Shoot, (like I can talk), share some of your cool guns to shoot.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    Did you get rid of your archery stuff?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,400 Senior Member
    Lookin' forward to the pix - and I'll second Chiro's suggestion: Drive over to the shoot next year, I'd love to meet you and I'm sure many others would too!
    But - what's the Oct/Nov timeline?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,279 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #11
    Gene L said:
    I am an old guy, 74 YOA, and have been lucky most of my life.  Went through VN in 68-69 uninjured, had three open heart surgeries in my life, 33 years as a LEO, where I saw some awful things. A divorce and a widower.  For me, the calendar of life is in the title of this thread.

So now I'm indulging myself.  Decided I can't bury my money, what little I have, and decided to go for tasteful purchases and accessories  in my guns. The stag grips on my 65 is an example. I've got a lot of guns I need to sell, just to get rid of them, but haven't done so at this time.  I keep collecting them, lately handguns.

So if I appear ostentatious, it's only so you'll be able to share some of my temporary pleasure and completely without any other reason.
    Quite frankly that's an interesting perspective that I really never considered.  It never occurred to me that showing your latest acquisitions to a bunch of likeminded folks would ever be taken as ostentatious by anyone, but nevertheless, show away.  I for one really look forward to seeing any members' new acquisitions and would never in a million years do anything but share in your pleasure of finding something that will bring you joy.  And yes, those grips are beautiful and I'm glad they make you happy!  Looking forward to more Gene.

And hey, let's settle on late September  B)

Oh, and God willin' and the creek don't rise, I'll be going to the shoot next year and will be driving through a whole lot of GA to do so so if you need a ride, I'd be happy to pick you up.  Actually I make the run from my NC to Atlanta to visit family relatively often.  If you are anywhere near the route, I'd love to stop in a buy you lunch.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

October/November is a metaphor for my life expectancy.  And jbp. pretty well out of the archery phase..Got one yew stave I need to finish. Not strong enough to bend much of a bow.
    Gene L said:
    October/November is a metaphor for my life expectancy.  And jbp. pretty well out of the archery phase..Got one yew stave I need to finish. Not strong enough to bend much of a bow.
    Oh crap! I was afraid that was the case (I don't take hints easily). Anything we can do for ya?

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:

Oh crap! I was afraid that was the case (I don't take hints easily). Anything we can do for ya?
    I caught that metaphor the first time.
    See what happens when you refuse to watch movies deviod of symbolism and metaphorical value.
    ;)

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
    Don't worry Zorba. I don't know what it means either. 

Reckon I ain't too bright.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member
    I believe he's referring to it getting nearer to the end of his "year" (life)

Kind of like they call a much older/younger relationship as a May/November relationship.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Sigh...

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
    Makes sense now. 

edited August 2019 #19
    RugerFan said:
    Makes sense now. 

Yea, I missed the tail number on that 747!

knitepoet said:

Kind of like they call a much older/younger relationship as a May/November relationship.

These days -- Older woman/Younger man = Cougar
    On the other hand:
    Older man/Younger woman = Dirty old cradle robbing shameless bastard.
    Doesn't sound fair to me.
    :D

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,607 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    knitepoet said:

On the other hand:
    It doesn't seem fair... but, if you can make that work, wear the badge with pride!🤣
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,767 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #22
    Hmmmmm.....

Just a guess here........Most of you've never heard "Autumn of My Life", by Bobby Goldsboro, right???

Well, if you have you'd likely be there I suppose, and we wouldn't be having to explain it.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    edited August 2019 #23
    Spk said:
    knitepoet said:

On the other hand:
    It doesn't seem fair... but, if you can make that work, wear the badge with pride!🤣
    When you're my age, older women looking for younger men (like me) isn't all that appealing.

BBC produced a show called "Sugar Mummies."  It dealt with English older women with younger men...an excellent show.  Some of the difference in ages were extreme, like a 65 year old woman with about a 30- year old man who apparently loved her.

It wasn't mentioned that the women were well-off, like Sugar Daddies.  The subject wasn't breached; they might have been, but they didn't look/act like it.

This video is not available now.  It was fascinating.  One constant in the video is that the couples thought they were being negatively judged by others, paranoia in a couple of the cases, but the video didn't bear this out.  Mostly, except for the man's relatives, they were ignored. People who saw them in public places thought (probably) it was a guy out with his mother, or in a couple of cases, his grandmother.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    knitepoet said:

On the other hand:
    It's fine with me.  If I'm being called names for being with a young hottie, someone is jealous...  :D
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Yeah, I got the same problem with the Nursing Home.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,357 Senior Member
    im 58 YO and my dad has slowed way down the last year.  Ive been selling off my toys a couple at a time just to get the numbers down.

Im still buying too, but being more selective and some are more expensive.

Also, still traveling.  Thats my main focus. 

but do what you want and have fun.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    I’m easily lost (along with Zorba) but I have to ask. Gene, are you indicating that your time is knowingly short?
    Not knowingly (well, not exactly not knowingly; I don't have any terminal disease I know of)  but the end isn't all that far away. Hell, I'm 74 YOA.  My family history isn't good: father died at 47, sister died at 57 more or less, older brother died at about 49 or so, oldest brother died at about 65.  I'm the longest living male in my known history.  Three open heart surgeries, (78, 87, 2002 or so) and I figure I'm living on borrowed time.  When it happens, it happens.  I don't see me living another 8 years or so, maybe 4,  so yes, it's inevitable.  As for us all.
    Hang in there Gene! I'm planning on living forever, myself. So far, its working out well!
    More seriously, even I'm beginning to feel my age...

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    That’s a sigh of relief. You had me worried there for a bit. We might disagree on damn near every aspect of life but I still enjoy you being here! Stay healthy my friend.
    Thank you FFL...the nicest post I've ever read from you.