Home Main Category Clubhouse

Turn you fool, he's headed right for us!

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,654 Senior Member
Dorian that is.
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,778 Senior Member
    We got Florence last year.  You keep this one down there...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    There's still hope - the Cape has never been sustained a direct hit from a hurricane.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    It’s a Cat 2.  Stock up on beer and canned spaghetti and your good to go.  That’s what the locals do.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Hopefully it stays "low", but I'm hearing Cat 3 - but the truth is nobody really knows and its still out a fair ways - look at what happened with Irma.
    If it follows the currently projected path, its the worst possible scenario. Wind and rain don't concern me nearly as much as storm surge.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Hopefully it stays "low", but I'm hearing Cat 3 - but the truth is nobody really knows and its still out a fair ways - look at what happened with Irma.
    If it follows the currently projected path, its the worst possible scenario. Wind and rain don't concern me nearly as much as storm surge.
    Better batten down the hatches!! We are prepared this year. A year and a half ago I bought a 17.5 KW portable generator and got an electrician to hook it into the main power line with transfer switches and plug-in outlets to the switches. Not quite enough power to run the AC, stove and hot water heater, but will run most everything else, including the well pump.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    You must have a HUUUUGE A/C, as my 15KW will run mine (3 ton) with enough capacity left over to run the (unfortunately) electric dryer!
    Current plans are to put up the shutters on our house on Friday, then do the rental units on Saturday - if it actually does come this way. I don't trust the media to get anything right - hysteria, spin, and  exaggeration is about all I can expect.
    Interestingly, Wunderground seems to think we're going to get a couple of inches of rain, and the wind will peak at 50MPH at daybreak Monday. Even the hurricane center says they really don't know at this point. All we can do is monitor...

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    Checklist:
    Done 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Just pay no attention to the morons in the Weather Channel aka as the CNN of weather news.  Go straight to the NOAA site and get your unfiltered and unadulterated info and REAL forecasts not tuned for ratings.

That's exactly what I do. Right now, it ain't lookin' good - but even they say that they have "little idea" this far out (in time).

zorba said:
    That's exactly what I do. Right now, it ain't lookin' good - but even they say that they have "little idea" this far out (in time).
    My daughter is in the panhandle area.  She says some models have it crawling up to them after it crosses the mainland.  Big Al certainly doesn’t need this crap.  They took a beating last.

"The cone" covers the whole damn state - but where the center goes remains to be seen. It still might blow into the gulf or up towards the Carolinas.

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    So all those people that just had their houses fixed are gonna need them fixed again?
    edited August 2019 #14
    zorba said:
    You must have a HUUUUGE A/C, as my 15KW will run mine (3 ton) with enough capacity left over to run the (unfortunately) electric dryer!
    My situation is a bit more complex. My stepson lives with us in an attached apartment. We have 2 AC units, a 3 ton and a 1 ton along with 2 air handlers. There is a refrigerator for both areas and we also have an upright freezer in the garage, a stove for us and a hotplate for the apt. 2 dishwashers and a well pump for the water. The only things left out were the stove, AC and hot water. The electrician advised us there wasn't enough room in the transfer panels to supply much more power, so that's what we're left with. I had to save some money on the generator capacity, as the in-ground units were a lot more for anything 20KW and above, not including the installation, the transfer switches and the propane fuel supply.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #15
    Thanks for your concern!! This is puny compared to the cat 5 we went through!! Not much left to FUBAR anymore!! Anyhow, I'm still in Wisconsin, but the PR Ggramma, hurricane Ann Marie will turn it. She's at home. Looks like the spaghetti models have it turning north east before it gets to the gulf.
    Zorba, you better get the culottes out of moth balls so your skirt don't blow up over yur head!! B)

The models still insist that its heading right for us, I guess this one didn't get the memo about staying away from the Cape - although the center line has drifted south an insignificant amount. I'll start putting up shutters tomorrow, and hope I don't have to evac.

Now NOAA is worried, so now I'm paying more attention.  My daughter is on call at her AFB just in case they have to get all the planes out in a big hurry.  There goes her 4 day weekend.  Oh well, I told her to load the dog in the car and head home to us.  The rest of the crap is insured so I might get visitors this weekend.

For the folks in FL, I hope you see Jim Cantore in your town!  That's always a good sign the hurricane will land elsewhere.  :D

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Just get all the FL Democrats to gather 1 mile inland from projected landfall and tell them to bash Trump. All that hot air will blast that hurricane back across the Atlantic to Africa. :D
    Seriously, hope all y'all down there catch a break and this one weakens quickly BEFORE landfall and fizzles out quickly. Fingers, toes, and eyeballs crossed to make it happen.  :)
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    Just get all the FL Democrats to gather 1 mile inland from projected landfall and tell them to bash Trump. All that hot air will blast that hurricane back across the Atlantic to Africa. :D
    Naw, that'd blow it all the way around the globe to the US west coast - hey! Wait a minute... (!!) ;)
    All prayers, well wishes, moon rituals and chipmunk juggling appreciated!

If the current track holds out, Zorba, Jaywapti, Breamfisher, JasonMPD and I will be right in the general pathway of this storm.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    I'm hearing the European model is completely different.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,905 Senior Member
    The darn cone of death covers the flipping peninsula.
    This one has to stay north. We just spent $$$$$ on the house, most of it outside. The only good thing about these storms is you may get a new roof that the insurance pays for.
    New outdoor lights, fascia , house painted, new fence.  Ugh
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    As long as it doesn't hit us from the ocean side, we'll be fine. We'll probably lose the fence I patched together after Irma, but it needs to go anyway. We're in a 1963 vintage house - one of the really low ones that doesn't have the silly snow sloped roof so most of the wind just goes over us. Longtime residents here don't seem too concerned. European model has it coming ashore at Ft. Lauderdale then either going up the peninsula over land, or bouncing out over the west coast then hooking east into Ga.
    We'll see. Shutters start going up tomorrow.

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    I am off tomorrow and will be prepping the house.  New fence is metal and slats come off with 2 screws so wind can blow through the frame.  Shutters go up quickly
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member

:D:D:D
    SO true
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member

Or being chased by a George Romero shambler.
    "We're in terrible danger if we wait here and do nothing!"

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    Hoping the 0500 track changes cause it is beelining toward our house
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    According to the tv news this morning. This is the end of the world as we know it.
    According to the tv news this morning. This is the end of the world as we know it.
    Tell me about it. The news has more spin than the storm!

Cone of death from the Keys to Georgia  line.  
    I am almost ready, just in case it comes in low,  but I predict WPB is landfall and the it follows the coast up.