Home Main Category Clubhouse

Turn you fool, he's headed right for us!

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Cone of death from the Keys to Georgia  line.  
    I am almost ready, just in case it comes in low,  but I predict WPB is landfall and the it follows the coast up.
    Best wishes to y'all in S Florida. In the panhandle we are hoping your forecast proves correct!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,279 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #33

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,857 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

"Run Away, Run Away!"
    :D

I wonder if there's ever been a hurricane Baltar that never made land fall because it turned away early.
    Enquiring minds want to know.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    Last update looks more like further north.
    Zorba, Jaywapti, Jason, baton down the hatches and stay safe
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,400 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #36
    Coming straight across Jamaica, West Palm Beach, and hooking hard right at Okeechobe to go up the peninsula overland is the latest NOAA/Hurricane center map. It keeps getting pushed southward more in alignment with what I understand the European model is showing - but I apparently cannot directly access the European model, and have to depend on secondary sources that are all woefully out of date.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited August 2019 #37
    You'd think that with about a 70% cloud cover right now, I could put up hurricane shutters in the shade. I almost passed out from heat stroke this AM, and that sun is merciless even now that I'm working on my own house. Go away sun!
    Nephew is going to help me with the other rentals tomorrow.
    The good news is that telescoping extension ladder I bought after discussing it with Jerm - rocks!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,049 Senior Member
    Hope you guys stay safe.
    Got home late last night from another day getting the charter boat it ready for its survey inspection which is today. Saw this thread then decided to test my weather predicting ability. I think it will hit the coast near Orlando. Winds will be up to 50mph with a 1.5-2m storm surge..........

I base this on the usual methods I use to predict weather over here........which involve extremely scientific calculations taking into account the following.......My arthritis, consulting the entrails of a recently killed deer, the level in my JD Single barrel bottle and the number of female roadkill possums I saw while driving home and the direction they were facing when hit.

I hope I am wrong and it turns out to just be some heavy rain with small wind gusts.

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    Y’all have more patience than I. I don’t have any use in being inconvenienced that often, having to blockade my house, leave, deal with insurance companies, clean, rebuild, then have to do it again a year or so later. Destroy my house once, shame on you. Destroy my house 8 times, shame on me.
    edited August 2019 #40
    I hear you, trust me. But if I can't live in California, and I don't want to deal with snow, what am I gonna do?
    Kentucky would have been my first choice, but it snows there...

Got my house half done with shutters, nephew is going to help with the other rentals tomorrow, I just can't do it in this heat anymore.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,767 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #42
    Pulling for you Florida guys......

Just juggled the Norwegian Forest tactical-throw cat while breathing the fumes of a burning old nylon hammock while prancing around in silk manties.

If that doesn't work, God help you, because I'm all out of stuff.

Keep your heads down, dudes.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,636 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #43
    Diver43 said:
    Cone of death from the Keys to Georgia  line.  
    I am almost ready, just in case it comes in low,  but I predict WPB is landfall and the it follows the coast up.
    Wundermap has that exact track.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    I rode out every hurricane in Florida from 1939 to 1980, with the exception of Donna 1960 ( I was in Africa) never evacuated, the 2 worst were 1947 we lived in Little River (Miami) we had 4' of water outside and 2' in the house, we shared living space with gators, snakes, coons, deer etc. The 2ed was 1965 we lived on the water in Miami Beach, the surge flowed across the island into Biscayne Bay, Collins Ave. was covered with sand, Grandpa built that house 6' above grade so we were dry.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I hear you, trust me. But if I can't live in California, and I don't want to deal with snow, what am I gonna do?
    Ya could try southern Arizona, New Mexico or SW Texas.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    We originally were going to retired to ABQ, but didn't for a variety of reasons. LOVE the state and that area.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #47
    Ya know Zorba, as much grief as I have with California politics, I'll take it, AND the potential for earthquakes over what you Gulfies deal with EVERY. . .SINGLE. . .YEAR.

Keep yer heads down boys.  I suspect keeping your powder dry is out of the question.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,067 Senior Member
    Y’all have more patience than I. I don’t have any use in being inconvenienced that often, having to blockade my house, leave, deal with insurance companies, clean, rebuild, then have to do it again a year or so later. Destroy my house once, shame on you. Destroy my house 8 times, shame on me.
    I have lived in this house for 20 years, been through multiple storms (including Charlie) and have not had any damage.......yet.  But this house was built in 1954, back when they knew what they were doing....
    Bigslug said:
    Ya know Zorba, as much grief as I have with California politics, I'll take it, AND the potential for earthquakes over what you Gulfies deal with EVERY. . .SINGLE. . .YEAR.

Keep yer heads down boys.  I suspect keeping your powder dry is out of the question.
    I'm with ya - I'd take an earthquake any time over this crap.

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
    zorba said:
    Ya could try southern Arizona, New Mexico or SW Texas.

JAY
    Then he'd need to buy a new wardrobe, unless he moved into a big city in New Mexico...  :D
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    I have lived in this house for 20 years, been through multiple storms (including Charlie) and have not had any damage.......yet.  But this house was built in 1954, back when they knew what they were doing....
    I have zero experience with hurricanes other than what I see on the news so it’s nothing firsthand. I’m assuming those houses you see pummeled over are the ones right on the coast? All I know is that my basement flooded one time in my life, all of about 10 inches and I never wanted to have to deal with anything like that ever again. I didn’t mean to sound rude in my previous comment.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,634 Senior Member
    Looks like the prediction puts the storm hitting the cost right near my niece's area.
    I have zero experience with hurricanes other than what I see on the news so it’s nothing firsthand. I’m assuming those houses you see pummeled over are the ones right on the coast? All I know is that my basement flooded one time in my life, all of about 10 inches and I never wanted to have to deal with anything like that ever again. I didn’t mean to sound rude in my previous comment.
    While hurricanes are no fun, you get warnings several days out. You have time to stock up on supplies  prepare your house and if your in a flood zone or tidal zone to get out. Yes some times it's real bad like what happened to BigAl or those in Mexico beac . But that is rare. Earthquakes level big buildings, twist bridges.  Tornados level neighborhoods and you get maybe a few moments warning. .
    I have been through a few now, I have learned what to do and how to prep 
    I put up 20 gauge metal shutters on the windows that are not hurricane rated, my new fence is metal, with 2 screws I can remove the slats and the wind blows through. Everything comes in the house or fastened down.
    FYI it takes me 2.5 hours to prep without help.  If the storm turns or when it is over we put things back.
    I will take that 5 day warning over a few minute warning for a tornado or no warning for an earthquake.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,767 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Kentucky would have been my first choice.....
    There's all of Louisiana, southern Mississippi, East Texas, South Arkansas, and parts of Georgia and Alabama.

Choices galore.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,636 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #55
    Coastal areas south of Daytona are less likely to be destroyed than the Florida Panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas coastal areas. So many of these hurricanes have gone south of Miami, into the Gulf and north to the aforementioned, at least in my experience in Florida since 1990. A few of them have gone into the Gulf, gone north and then crossed Florida to the east.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Coastal areas south of Daytona are less likely to be destroyed than the Florida Panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas coastal areas. So many of these hurricanes have gone south of Miami, into the Gulf and north to the aforementioned, at least in my experience in Florida since 1990. A few of them have gone into the Gulf, gone north and then crossed Florida to the east.
    Yu . They talk about steering currents, but I think they follow the warmest water if possible. 
    edited August 2019 #57
    GunNut said:
    Just pay no attention to the morons in the Weather Channel aka as the CNN of weather news.  Go straight to the NOAA site and get your unfiltered and unadulterated info and REAL forecasts not tuned for ratings.
    GunNut said:
    Now NOAA is worried, so now I'm paying more attention.  My daughter is on call at her AFB just in case they have to get all the planes out in a big hurry.  There goes her 4 day weekend.  Oh well, I told her to load the dog in the car and head home to us.  The rest of the crap is insured so I might get visitors this weekend.

For the folks in FL, I hope you see Jim Cantore in your town!  That's always a good sign the hurricane will land elsewhere.  :D
    So my wife turns on the Weather Channel this morning and EXACTLY as I predicted Jim Cantore is on the beach in Florida where exactly nothing is going on explaining that even though the latest track shows the hurricane running away from him in a big hurry "we are not out of the woods yet".  I almost peed my pants.  

They had a second idiot at Disney World trying to see what kind of preparations the parks are going through to weather this "colossal storm".  Folks in the park are looking at her like she's got two heads.  She must have missed the latest forecast... 

They should grind these Weather Channel people and bottle them to be sold as hurricane repellent  :D

Anyway have to run and get some gas, water and canned Spaghetti'os, JUST in case ol'Jimbo doesn't make it here on time.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    Just pay no attention to the morons in the Weather Channel aka as the CNN of weather news.  Go straight to the NOAA site and get your unfiltered and unadulterated info and REAL forecasts not tuned for ratings.
    GunNut said:
    Now NOAA is worried, so now I'm paying more attention.  My daughter is on call at her AFB just in case they have to get all the planes out in a big hurry.  There goes her 4 day weekend.  Oh well, I told her to load the dog in the car and head home to us.  The rest of the crap is insured so I might get visitors this weekend.

For the folks in FL, I hope you see Jim Cantore in your town!  That's always a good sign the hurricane will land elsewhere.  :D
    So my wife turns on the Weather Channel this morning and EXACTLY as I predicted Jim Cantore is on the beach in Florida where exactly nothing is going on explaining that even though the latest track shows the hurricane running away from him in a big hurry "we are not out of the woods yet".  I almost peed my pants.  

They had a second idiot at Disney World trying to see what kind of preparations the parks are going through to weather this "colossal storm".  Folks in the park are looking at her like she's got two heads.  She must have missed the latest forecast... 

They should grind these Weather Channel people and bottle them to be sold as hurricane repellent  :D

Anyway have to run and get some gas, water and canned Spaghetti'os, JUST in case ol'Jimbo doesn't make it here on time.
    Yup, you better fill up the tanks and cupboards.  If the 1100 path holds you may feel more than us
    GunNut said:

Pretty much - much of the time they're working from obsolete data. Its tracking WELL offshore now - let's hope and pray that continues!

Latest NOAA track shows it well offshore.