Home Main Category Hunting

Opening day

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
August 30 is opening day for grouse, snowshoes, and black bears.

Does anyone else have any season starters? 
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,146 Senior Member
    Dove season is coming up Sept 1.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Bear opens after labor day here
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Dove season is coming up Sept 1.  

Idaho has a Sept 1 dove season, but there are no dove this far north.  :'(

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,930 Senior Member

We have dove out the wazoo here.  Problem is, though, most live inside the city limits.

There is public land open for hunting a few miles from here.  I suspect it will covered up with hunters come opening day, but I may give it a try later in the season.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #6
    Plenty of dove here. Got a 4 acre field as my front yard and no houses for over 1/4 mile all the way around, so that will work just fine as my hunting spot. At least until it's planted, which won't be until October. Plenty of public land around.  But of course, all the good spots with birds will likely be overcrowded with idiots...I mean "hunters."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Fall turkey season is coming up....Salmon and Steelhead as well...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    MO snipe/dove/rails seasons open Sept 1.

NE archery deer opens Sept 1  

Nebraska and MO teal seasons open Sept 7.  

MO squirrel is open right now (through Feb 2020).

Archery deer for MO opens Sept 15.

...of course, I'm missing all of these openers this year on account of being deployed.  Gonna be some catching up to do when I return.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    I wouldn’t rather not go snipe hunting....  :#

We have dove out the wazoo here.  Problem is, though, most live inside the city limits.

There is public land open for hunting a few miles from here.  I suspect it will covered up with hunters come opening day, but I may give it a try later in the season.

I have yet to show up to a dove opener on public land that wasn't a zoo - seems a season off of the trigger gets people fired up to get back out - BUT the shooting usually is good.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,708 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Snipe, the bird, are fast agile fliers---if ya can get in range because many places they are
    found in marshes or other wet lands.

Small ; but , good eating
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN said:
    Jay said:
    Snipe, the bird, are fast agile fliers---if ya can get in range because many places they are

Yes, they are quite a challenge.  We usually go for them after we get our limit on teal hunts.  The outskirts of good teal habitat is usually the kind of muddy flat that snipe love.  They are tough to see, but make a very distinctive squawk when they flush.  That's what we key in on during the hunt.

The snipe hunting joke went over a few heads...:D

Adam J. McCleod

Oh, I got it.  I just ran with Ned’s take on it. :D

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    I've found with dove, as long as it doesn't get crazy, the more shooters the better. Keeps the dove up and moving.

I've hunted a couple of fields that were covered with dove, but there were only 4 of us hunting 500+ acres. You'd fire a shot and the dove would simply fly a couple hundred yards down the treeline and land again.

Chasing dove during the late summer in the south isn't much fun.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    CaliFFL said:
    The snipe hunting joke went over a few heads...:D
    Who knows-----I have met too many people that have fallen for the other snipe hunt.
    edited September 2019 #17
    Six-Gun said:
    NN said:
    Jay said:

Yes, they are quite a challenge.  We usually go for them after we get our limit on teal hunts.  The outskirts of good teal habitat is usually the kind of muddy flat that snipe love.  They are tough to see, but make a very distinctive squawk when they flush.  That's what we key in on during the hunt.

I have shot a few at NAS Whidbey Island after jumping one that did not alow a shot. I would stand still and the bird would fly back over the spot, maybe 30 yds up in the air.
  • joyjoy22joyjoy22 Posts: 44 Member
    The hunting for black bears starts now. 
    joyjoy22 said:
    Which state?  I know Colorado bear season is about to open.
    Six-Gun said:
    joyjoy22 said:
    You need to come to Colorado Springs for bear. The DOW has responded to over 300 bear "incidents" here in the past few weeks and the fall feeding frenzy has barely started yet. It's pure craziness this year. Never seen anything like it.

Mike
    N454casull
    Six-Gun said:
    joyjoy22 said:
    You need to come to Colorado Springs for bear. The DOW has responded to over 300 bear "incidents" here in the past few weeks and the fall feeding frenzy has barely started yet. It's pure craziness this year. Never seen anything like it.

Mike
    Man, that's nuts.  I never realized C-Springs had this kind of bear traffic.  You need to tell MHS (who I think has a bear permit.)
    Like I said, I've never heard of a year like this. either. A couple weeks ago, less than 2 miles from my house (which is practically downtown if you recall), a bear was in a tree in a subdivision in the middle of the afternoon. A T'storm popped up, lightening struck the tree and, presto.....350#'s of cooked bear landed in the homeowners front yard.

City council is considering a reg that will require all CS residents west of I-25 to have bear-proof trash containers. And, no edibles left in a parked vehicle. We've had a couple dozen autos demolished by hungry bears just this year.

When I grab the trash can before daylight on Thursdays, I peek around that dark corner before I step around it.

Mike
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,930 Senior Member

When I first moved to Colorado Springs in 1990, my sister came to visit. She asked if bears were common in the city.  I explained that bears avoided populated areas, and that she had nothing to fear.

Before she left, a news story broke about a bear that entered a woman's garage.  It was a half-grown cub.  The woman user her automatic garage door control to shut the door and call the authorities.  By the time help arrived, the bear had tore her car up.

The moral of this story is that bears crap in Colorado Springs.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    Whitetail opened August 15th, early Canada gees is open and doves opened Sep 2nd
    Six-Gun said:
    NN said:
    Jay said:

It's a LOT easier to call them into a feed sack.  Come on out next weekend, and I'll show you haw to do it.  I have the perfect place.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    Squirrel opened Sept 1st, but the skeeters, fleas, ticks, and warbles are bad this early
    Deer archery is Sept. 28th
    Coyote open year round....
    Canadian gooses and teal opened yesterday..

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    What’s a warble? 

Adam J. McCleod

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,075 Senior Member
    AKA Wolves, or Bot fly larvae 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    No real danger from a warble, just looks disgusting
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,851 Senior Member
    Dove, goose, grouse, partridge and archery deer are open.   All I've done is worked and chased kids so far.  I may try to blast a duck or 2 this weekend.   Pass shooting only.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    I think stick chunking whitetail season opens next weekend. 

Its supposed to be 97 degrees. 
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov