Home Main Category Personal Defense

How do y'all carry?

13»

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    GunNut said:
    Doing a little Christmas shopping.  Does this gun make my ass look fat?

:D 
    The gun didn't change a thing...  :D
    It was actually really funny.  My wife INSISTED I try on a new jacket she wants to buy for me and I said Ok, I need a dressing room.  My wife says, just try it on here and I look at her and the young man that is helping us and I say purposely, "NO, I need a dressing room.".  The young man looks at my quizzically and shows me to the dressing room.  I go to try on the jacket and my wife just opens the door to the dressing room and the kid sees me standing there just like you see in this picture.  He starts laughing and just says "Ooooooooh, now I get it!".  He was a good sport.  B)
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,048 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Doing a little Christmas shopping.  Does this gun make my ass look fat?

:D 
    No. But your ass does. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,048 Senior Member
    Serious question. 
    You have a forward canted holster worn at the 2:00 position. 

How’s that work for your draw?  Assuming you either have to start with a crappy grip and adjust as you draw or you have to excessively crank your wrist and move your shoulder/elbow forward?

I’ve tried pos FBI Cant holsters forward of 4:00 and can’t (pun intended) stand them. Don’t allow a full grip for me until post draw. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Serious question. 
    You have a forward canted holster worn at the 2:00 position. 

How’s that work for your draw?  Assuming you either have to start with a crappy grip and adjust as you draw or you have to excessively crank your wrist and move your shoulder/elbow forward?

I’ve tried pos FBI Cant holsters forward of 4:00 and can’t (pun intended) stand them. Don’t allow a full grip for me until post draw. 
    You are ABSOLUTELY correct!  It is NOT ideal but there is SERIOUS lack in the market of good leather OWB holsters that hang straight without some sort of a forward cant (#wishwecouldgetoutoftheeffing80s) so I have been forced to train my ass off (never a bad thing) to come up with a reasonable AND fast draw that will work without shifting my grip as I go.  

I now have it down but as you keenly observed it means me having to excessively crank my wrist as my shoulders move forward.  Some of it is mitigated by my moving my hips back a bit during the draw and the fact that I don't have a gut in the way anymore REALLY helps.  Looks weird but it leaves me in a good position for shooting.  The only times it truly sucks is when I have to draw and shoot to my right immediately.  That slows me down but I'm figuring out the mechanics for that one circumstance.

In any case this is NOT my most common setup nowadays.  It just happens that I wanted to carry the newer Commander sized Kimber and this is the most comfortable holster I had in hand for following my bride through a whole day of Christmas shopping.  Ideally I should have carried the 43 in my Uncle Mikes soft IWB right over my appendix but I REALLY wanted to take the Kimber out since we were headed to an outdoor outlet mall where distances are pretty long (and I'm REALLY happy with the accuracy I'm getting with carry ammo in this gun) and I'm still NOT happy with my longish shot abilities with the 43.  Working on it...
  • jameskelvinjameskelvin Posts: 1 New Member
    Nice Information..! Thank you..!

Hello Friends, This is James Kelvin. I am currently working as a professional staff author at field engineer which also known as global market place for freelancers who looking for freelance cyber security technician job opportunities across the globe.

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    Accipiter said:
    Thanks!  I have a very similar holster but because of the loop configuration it does not draw the gun as tight/flat to the body as the pancake style.  Sticks out a little too much when carried appendix.  Pretty good if I go to 3:00.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Renton, WashingtonPosts: 2,598 Senior Member
    I have both OWB and IWB options for all of my carry guns.  I like Crossbreed and Raw Dog Tactical for IWB, and Versacarry for OWB.  Which I use depends on where I'm going; then I decide what I'm going to wear, and then whether I can appropriately conceal based on what I want to wear.  Most of the time, I just grab the XD Mod 2.0 subcompact and the Raw Dog tactical, a spare mag & pouch, and then add the rest of my EDC loadout. 

Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member South DakotaPosts: 2,040 Senior Member
    IWB, Sticky, small of back
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain