Home Main Category Hunting

What is you favorite?

AccipiterAccipiter New MemberPosts: 885 Senior Member
cervid that is.  I am just curious about which you find most tasty.  To my best recollection I have only had white tail deer.  How would you compare the flavor vs elk, moose, mule deer, etc.
Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #2
    My absolute favorite, although I've had it only once, (thanks, JerryBobCo), is moose.

As to the rest, it kind of depends on age and sex. I've had young antelope doe that was great, but I finally tossed the meat from the nicest antelope buck I've ever taken. Simply couldn't eat it.

The best elk I've had was from a bull calf I shot some years back.

As for deer, I've targeted doe for three decades.

I am, admittedly, a meat hunter.

Mike 
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Best I've had was Axis deer.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    It's really hard to beat Wisconsin corn fed deer, love elk and moose but like any game I have had some bad ones, like Linefinder I to am a meat hunter.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,811 Senior Member
    Elk, but I’ve had some GREAT venison.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Of all the venison out there, I have eaten a lot of Whitetail and Mule Deer .had some Moose that had probably been in the freezer too long, so I can't give that an accurate assessment on that...Now Elk? I have eaten a lot of it, most coming from cows or young bulls, and consider it the best...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #7
    GunNut said:
    Dude! Elk IS venison! Any meat from a Cervid is venison...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,018 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #8
    No favorite. But........

Elk
    Muley
    Axis
    Blackbuck

Are a darn good eat.  

Whitetail is low on the list. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,811 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    GunNut said:
    Dude! Elk IS venison! Any meat from a Cervid is venison...
    You are absolutely correct.  Should have said Whitetail.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

While not asked, my least favorite is raccoon closely followed by buffalo (bison).

I've eaten one raccoon, and it took much longer than its size should account for.

I've eaten 2 buffalo, and that took a while too.

I still like SPAM.

Mike
    N454casull
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Moose, cow elk, whitetail doe, and then bucks. Just my preference. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    I like it all, hard to pick one, depends on how it is prepared, antelope chops were awesome, white tail chops are awesome, elk and moose loin is awesome........
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    I’m not a hunter but white tail and rabbit has never disappointed me. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,155 Senior Member
    Elk and axis are tied at the top of the list for me.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    edited August 2019 #15
    I have eaten one elk T-bone, from a 500 lb.cow elk taken by my BIL. It was nearly as good as prime beef, in my opinion. I've eaten a lot of Texas whitetails and I like the steaks (chicken-fried) and the stews and chili that I have made from the tougher cuts, about as well as anything but beef or pork. I like ground meat dishes made from the deer meat when it has been mixed with pork fat or bacon ends - same-same with the patty and link sausage. It varies from deer to deer, according to fat content and the diet of the animal. When I get one that doesn't taste great, I chunk it up and mix it with pork or beef, add more salt and seasonings, and make stew. I love beef stew and chili, so it is never going to be wasted.

Linefinder mentioned raccoon, and I have to agree that it isn't great, but it's not that bad. I think, with a little creative preparation, it would be as good as some of the worst whitetail meat that I've found a way to make somewhat tasty. I think I could make a good stew with it, by chunking it into small pieces and mixing it with fatty pork or beef. The carrots, potatoes, onions, bell pepper, and garlic are what makes a great stew, anyway.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    Moose wins in my book, too, followed not terribly far behind by elk.  Of course, all of it is good when proper field care is at the top of the hunter's list.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,953 Senior Member

Like Mike, the best I've ever had was moose.  I only had it once, but it was great.

I've eaten my share of elk, deer and antelope.  Some times the eating is great, other times not so much.  I think it has as much to do with they the animal has been eating and how it was treated after the kill as anything.  I can't rank those three in any particular order.

I also agree with Mike regarding bison.  It's ok in small doses, but by the time I eat an entre animal, I'm tired of it.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    The best meat for me was a Beautifully cut and aged Elk steak grilled over charcoal
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    Thanks for all the input.  I have read often that moose and elk are superior to white tail.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Bison.  Best meat there is IMO.  Big fat bison steak cooked medium, very juicy and tender.  I've also enjoyed Moose the one time I had it.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:
    Bison.  Best meat there is IMO.  Big fat bison steak cooked medium, very juicy and tender.  I've also enjoyed Moose the one time I had it.
    Yep. Buffalo burgers!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Your experience with bison is 180 degrees opposite of mine. I shot the second one simply because I figured I got a "bad" one on the first try. Nope....equally rewarding. I'll take a cold can of pork & beans any day.

Mike

N454casull
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,497 Senior Member
    Elk and Axis.  Only had Axis once, but it was good. Never had moose, so I can't comment there
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    BAMAAK said:
    I have never had “wild” bison/buffalo.  Only store bought, and it was really good.

same with nilgai antelope.  I have had farm raised, and it was pretty good.  On a par with wild whitetail.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,953 Senior Member
    Elk and Axis.  Only had Axis once, but it was good. Never had moose, so I can't comment there

I've heard nothing but good things about Axis.  I hope to try it one of these days.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 604 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    I have eaten one elk T-bone, from a 500 lb.cow elk taken by my BIL. It was nearly as good as prime beef, in my opinion. I've eaten a lot of Texas whitetails and I like the steaks (chicken-fried) and the stews and chili that I have made from the tougher cuts, about as well as anything but beef or pork. I like ground meat dishes made from the deer meat when it has been mixed with pork fat or bacon ends - same-same with the patty and link sausage. It varies from deer to deer, according to fat content and the diet of the animal. When I get one that doesn't taste great, I chunk it up and mix it with pork or beef, add more salt and seasonings, and make stew. I love beef stew and chili, so it is never going to be wasted.

Linefinder mentioned raccoon, and I have to agree that it isn't great, but it's not that bad. I think, with a little creative preparation, it would be as good as some of the worst whitetail meat that I've found a way to make somewhat tasty. I think I could make a good stew with it, by chunking it into small pieces and mixing it with fatty pork or beef. The carrots, potatoes, onions, bell pepper, and garlic are what makes a great stew, anyway.
    As far as the **** goes I know people that forgot to remove the scent glands before cooking. I don’t know if that’s what caused the meat to not be that good or not. All of the fat should be removed also. If handled and prepared properly I think it has a very similar taste to lamb.

Nothing much to add, but I did have cast iron seared (in bacon fat) whitetail tenderloin for lunch today
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    I second the Fallow, was going to ask if you had it there, luckily I read the whole thread first
    Fallow closely followed by yearling Red. 
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,188 Senior Member
    My best venison experience was elk in an upscale restaurant.  I'm assuming it was farm raised as a commercial endeavor, but anyway, it was exceptional.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Overall, probably elk and bison. It is very hard to beat good, young, local white tail deer, cooked medium rare, fresh.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain