Home Main Category Clubhouse

Another Soldier dead

rbsivleyrbsivley Senior MemberPosts: 1,166 Senior Member
https://www.foxnews.com/us/american-soldier-killed-in-afghanistan

And for what? I say carpet bomb the whole place. I spent a year, 03-04, in Iraq and for what? If we don't fight to win what is the use? The people of those countries won't fight for themselves and it seems to me the leadership is rich, disconnected and don't care.
Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God 9 not by works, lest any man should boast.
Ephesians 2:8-9

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,392 Senior Member
    We haven't been allowed to win a war since WW 2 - and it could be argued that we didn't finish that either and only "won" 50 years later.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,762 Senior Member
    I was all in for going in. Glad we did what we did. But....still there 18 years later?

I'm having a problem wrapping my head around that........

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,146 Senior Member
    It's been a West vs. Mid-East cultural war over there since before both Christianity and Islam.  If we're gonna call it containment, let's just call it containment.  I'm a little dubious when anybody says they're going to "fix it".
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I guess containment sounds better than endless occupation. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,762 Senior Member
    The Taliban originally needed to have their butts kicked, if for no other reason than to show the Russians it could be done quickly and efficiently. Mission accomplished in a week or two, IIRC. The Taliban , as the "official" Afghani government, had been effectively overthrown. The end game, for us I thought, is that the country is no longer a safe harbor for training international terrorists that fly jets into skyscrapers.

Almost 2 decades later, most of our combat deaths there are the result of "insider" attacks. The only way you can become an "insider" is if folks already on the inside give you some large degree of assistance or indifference.

So...pull the boots off the ground. Drone the hell out of anything suspicious. We can do that with impunity.

No need to attempt to build nations among populations that can't agree on what one is.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull