Home Main Category Personal Defense

Shoot, don't shoot

rbsivleyrbsivley Senior MemberThe Heart of DixiePosts: 1,259 Senior Member
Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,820 Senior Member
    Hell, if it was legal to shoot somebody over swiping a bottle of wine, I'd have no in-laws left.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,275 Senior Member
    Someone didn't pay attention in her class...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Swampland, FLAPosts: 5,100 Senior Member
    If he is running away, not poising any threat, than you are not justified in using deadly force. She was wrong.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,746 Senior Member
    A bottle of wine isn't worth a man's life.  Or a shot in the arm.  She was wrong and will probably pay the price.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Grapes of wrath?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Grapes of wrath?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Please! No more wine jokes. It could have a Ripple effect.
    😁
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• BufordBuford Senior Member CA. Beach citiesPosts: 6,721 Senior Member
    As far as I'm concerned shooting a thief should be encouraged and legal.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,746 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #9
    Not unless he puts your life in danger.  Back when I started LEO, you could shoot a fleeing felon, like a thief who was offering no threat.  And we did.  Then came the SCOTUS decision, back in 1989 or so in the case Graham v. Connor,  which as I recall was a LEO acting under color of law.  You can read the details. What it boils down to is Can't shoot an unarmed fleeing felon for a non violent crime.  I'm pretty sure this applies to civilians, too.

If you can get in serious trouble for shooting a fleeing, unarmed FELON, imagine if you shot a fleeing misdemeanant.

As a civilian, I wouldn't kill a person if he could tote off my furniture but offered no physical threat.  Shows what could be referred to in court language as "an abandoned heart.".
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Someone didn't pay attention in her class...
    Most folks don't pay alot of attention in class, they seem more preoccupied with being somewhere else. Most of the ones I see have that, "Let's just get to the range so you can sign me off" look on their face. You can only do so much in a 6 hour class. Kinda hard to instill good judgement with that sort of time frame.
    Worst of all, some walk out with that, "Now I'm a crime fighter" look on their face.
    Here's my thoughts on judgement (to paraphrase Jeff Cooper)
    "Owning a firearm doesn't make you a crime fighter anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
    Her heart was in the right place but she used poor judgement.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain