Home Main Category Clubhouse

Hurricane Dorian (9/2019)

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    Had a cousin lose his guns during Katrina. They had stacked all the mattresses on top of furniture and put the guns on top of the mattresses. 

The mattresses fell over during the storm. He and his son rode out the hurricane in his cabin cruiser next to the house. 

As soon as the water receded they went in the house and started oiling all of the guns. But, it was too late. The water/soup had already damaged them too much.

Idk what he ever did with them.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #33
    As I own mostly pistols, it was easy enough to pack them all up. Since they're collectibles, they're worth some money and need to go with me if I end up leaving.
    I sure hope I don't have to leave, but I also hope that if I truly need to, that I do! My main concern is getting back - situations like this bring out the absolute worst in petty bureaucrats.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    We're all boarded up, plenty of food water and whatever else we my need, nothing left to do but wait, It's 8:40 PM just came in, typical weather before the storm, clear sky's, lots of stars, not a breath of wind, the calm before the storm.

Hope all of us in it's path make it thru OK 

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    I'm hoping you guys just get a glancing blow. Maybe, power outages and a little flooding, at worst. Good luck out there 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,693 Senior Member
    Good luck guys and stay safe!

Ron, I see you're under "Tropical storm warning" according to the report in CNN; hope it degrades and causes no important damage.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,917 Senior Member
    We are out of the game now. Nothing but rain and some wind unless the weatherman is very wrong.  Dorian has to make a u-turn to hurt us much.   We need to worry about Zorba, Jason and Jaywapti now.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Just now CH-13 news, downgraded to cat-4, 140mph winds, 942 millibars, still over NW Bahamas. As i said before we are all boarded up and have plenty of food, water, ice, batteries, etc. Only thing left is just wait, hopefully it will turn N, or better yet head NE

JAY 
    Most likely path for the last 2 days has been 60-70 miles off the coast. Let's hope that's true - still ready to bug out at a moment's notice.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Stay safe Zorb.
    I hope you have a route already in mind because last minute bug-outs can lead to traffic pileups. We've all seen it before.
    🙏 Here's praying it stays far enough offshore.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Still praying for folks in the Bahamas. It looks pretty bad over there.

Spk said:
    Stay safe Zorb.
    I hope you have a route already in mind because last minute bug-outs can lead to traffic pileups. We've all seen it before.
    🙏 Here's praying it stays far enough offshore.
    Not going far if I go, just off this Island. 'Preciate the prayers.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Still praying for folks in the Bahamas. It looks pretty bad over there.
    Yeah. . .pretty much been spinning over their head for two days like the angle-grinder from Hell. . . 
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    I sincerely hope everyone in the path that I know through this forum and everyone that each one of you know will get through this safely.

Owen.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    Here is a view of the outer rain bands approaching, taken from behind my house. We are 65 miles from the ocean.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,693 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    We are out of the game now. Nothing but rain and some wind unless the weatherman is very wrong.  Dorian has to make a u-turn to hurt us much.   We need to worry about Zorba, Jason and Jaywapti now.
    Glad to know you're ok! Hope the rest of the guys in FL avoid damage too.

According to CNN it has downgraded to cathegory 2; too bad for the damage in the Bahamas but seems like this one is a goner.
    Apparently there's another one forming in front of Africa....hope it eventually downgrades.

Stay safe guys!
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Here is a view of the outer rain bands approaching, taken from behind my house. We are 65 miles from the ocean.
    Those rain bands have been coming over my house all day.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    As I own mostly pistols, it was easy enough to pack them all up. Since they're collectibles, they're worth some money and need to go with me if I end up leaving.
    I sure hope I don't have to leave, but I also hope that if I truly need to, that I do! My main concern is getting back - situations like this bring out the absolute worst in petty bureaucrats.
    Save the hipoint
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK said:
    Save the hipoint
    You bet! :D
    Neighbors are starting to come home, despite "the authorities" saying "its still dangerous" - its pretty obvious that the chances  of a hit here are slim to none. I'm leaving the guns packed just in case for the time being.
    Carolinas: Look to your preparations!

I'm in Titusville right now (8:20 PM) light winds some rain, my cousin in New Smyrna Beach has 57mph winds. We're supposed to get the worst of it about midnight.

JAY
    I'm about 10 miles south of you with non-existent to very light winds, tiny bit of misty drizzle from time-to-time, and that's it, and has been it. I find it interesting that NSB is seeing 57 MPH winds - that never blew through here. Wow - weather's weird!

edited September 2019 #53
    This is the BEST site I've found for finding out what's really going on mapwise. Its always in agreement with NOAA, but seems to update a bit more often and is FAR easier to read - includes "the cone". Note the Opacity slider on the RH side of the screen, let's you dial the clouds up and down so you can see the map underneath.

I will be most likely be up all night as my dogs get scared, so i will keep posting as the weather gets bad or not, will let ya know

JAY
    edited September 2019 #55
    I'll be up until at least 1, maybe 2, maybe even later - which is normal for me. Total night owl here.
    Center of the eye is now on a level halfway between Pineda (404) and 520, bearing east of the original track line. Still calm and essentially dry here.
    Heck, I'm doing some work on a new handgun safe right now!

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,658 Senior Member
    Hope all is well and stays that way, need to find out how my niece is doing, She is in the Melbourne area.
    edited September 2019 #57
    Storm center has already passed Melbourne, and is approx. 100 miles offshore.

This is IT! Storm center is straight offshore at the point of closest approach to us. Wind is gusty at about 35 MPH, I've ridden my bicycle in worse. Still basically no rain. Wunderground indicates we're at peak wind right now, but not quite bottom pressure - it'll be interesting to see how that actually plays out.
    I feel like a Jew at the original Passover...

11:20 PM very light rain, wind calm with minor gusts.

JAY
    Marie Laveau?

And now the storm center is straight out from Titusville, and the wind is indeed laying down here.
    Going to go take a shower, and read for awhile.