Home Main Category Clubhouse

Hurricane Dorian (9/2019)

Replies

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    12: 15 slight drizzle, winds 20 - 30 mph (guessing)

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    1:30 AM, eye wind 110mph, 761 milabars, moving NNW @7mph, my house moderate rain, wind 37 mph.

JAY 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,400 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #64
    Now its off of Daytona Beach, still picking up speed - up to 8MPH now. Never really heard any wind here even after I went to sleep at about 1:30, even though we're still only slightly below peak wind even now at 30MPH - it was supposed to drop of quicker.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,008 Senior Member
    You know what caused this?  I just shipped a gun back to PSA in NC.  It’s gonna hit there.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    9:15 am, well past us, no real high winds, no flooding, no damage, just some small branches down, now all we have to worry about is grandkids on the outer banks in N.C.

JAY
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member
    Glad to be hearing from all the folks it has passed.

Hopefully it'll continue to follow the coast until it turns back out to the mid-atlantic and never make a landfall
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,636 Senior Member
    Storm center is about even with St. Augustine, FL now, at 10:21 AM Wednesday.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Here is a view of the outer rain bands approaching, taken from behind my house. We are 65 miles from the ocean.
    Those rain bands have been coming over my house all day.
    I went out at 8AM for the newspaper and under a clear blue sky, saw the rain bands approaching, and thought it would be an interesting photo.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    And?

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    Hope that danged old heathen heifer takes a hard starboard turn and burns out in the middle of the Atlantic. Jawja and the Carolinas don't need that mess crashing into them. All y'all stay safe and hope it misses y'all!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    My pistols and rifles are all put away again, and BAMAAK needn't worry: The Hi-Point is just fine! :D

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,634 Senior Member
    Wife talked to niece and they had wind to about 30mph and rain. No problems at her house.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,277 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #74
    Well it's headed to my back door right now, should be here later today.  Oh, fun!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Hopefully it will stay far enough out to sea as to not have any significant impact.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Well it's headed to my back door right now, should be here later today.  Oh, fun!!!
    Don't you have gated security at your place?  Just don't buzz Dorian in or give him the pass code.

Easy peasy...
    Overkill is underrated.
    zorba said:
    Hopefully it will stay far enough out to sea as to not have any significant impact.
    Last projected path shows it SLIGHTLY headed east.  Maybe it'll be a glancing blow.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

edited September 2019 #78
    GunNut said:
    Don't you have gated security at your place?  Just don't buzz Dorian in or give him the pass code.

Easy peasy...
    Hum, why didn't I think of that...  Well we are as good to go as it gets.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:

Easy peasy...
    Stay safe
    We were ready for the worst and got hardly anything. Hoping for the same for you guys.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:

Easy peasy...
    Stay safe
    We were ready for the worst and got hardly anything. Hoping for the same for you guys.
    Me too.  Glad you guys are Ok! 

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    Stay safe
    GunNut, hope you and that crazy Marine, Nutty Ned, and anyone else in the path don't get anything wind wise and that the rain isn't a flooding event. Heard Norfolk, VA is in for some heavy rains, so Vic and Larry are in that zone of way too much rainwater runoff. Now if that old heifer just HAS to come ashore, I recommend it squat over the Capitol Building. :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    GunNut said:
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    Stay safe
    GunNut, hope you and that crazy Marine, Nutty Ned, and anyone else in the path don't get anything wind wise and that the rain isn't a flooding event. Heard Norfolk, VA is in for some heavy rains, so Vic and Larry are in that zone of way too much rainwater runoff. Now if that old heifer just HAS to come ashore, I recommend it squat over the Capitol Building. :D
    Neduardo should be pretty good.  Looks like the rain bands are dumping all they have pretty close to the shore.  That's great because the folks inland usually take a beating with the flooding so it's a great thing this thing is just skirting the shore instead of shooting inland.  We've had some interesting "bands" go through and some small local tornadoes but nothing of significance. 

edited September 2019 #83
    zorba said:
    And?
    See Photo's above. (page 2)
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    zorba said:
    And?
    See Photo's above. (page 2)
    Ah! Ok - I thought you were talking about other pix - never mind...

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,008 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    tennmike said:
    GunNut said:
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    Stay safe
    Neduardo should be pretty good.  Looks like the rain bands are dumping all they have pretty close to the shore.  That's great because the folks inland usually take a beating with the flooding so it's a great thing this thing is just skirting the shore instead of shooting inland.  We've had some interesting "bands" go through and some small local tornadoes but nothing of significance. 

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    GunNut said:
    tennmike said:
    GunNut said:
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    Stay safe

:D 

All is well in the home front.  Winds were a little nasty last night but all that means is weekend cleanup.  No damage anywhere I cam see and the only PIA is having to lug the freaking patio furniture outside again.  Lost power overnight but the refrigerator/freezer(s) kept cold all night so all is good.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,761 Senior Member
    Glad all ya all came out unscathed! I know what it's like sweating out a hurricane!! B)
    Big Al1 said:
    Glad all ya all came out unscathed! I know what it's like sweating out a hurricane!! B)
    I'm beginning to feel like they are chasing me.  3 in the last 4 years and two in FL before that.  This is really starting to suck...

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,857 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #89
    It's looking really bad for the Bahamas.
    They're gonna have very rough road ahead.
    I'm praying for them.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Having lived through Hurricane Andrew while working for the electric company and living in the 100% claims area, I can tell you the areas of the Bahamas that got it the worst just need to be emptied, dozed and rebuilt if they want to do this.  There are 50,000 people that need housing, electricity and food.  As for the USA, just like Hurricane Matthew, I consider it prayers answered.  Glad everyone is OK.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    Well, T+ a week. That was uneventful and dumb.  But it was safe and we were fortunate.  I tended to a hurricane shelter for three days.  My paycheck will make me grin, so I won't complain. Ha.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers