Home Main Category Clubhouse

Hurricane Dorian (9/2019)

124»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,392 Senior Member
    We were fortunate indeed. Of course the media acted like idiots throughout, even when it was painfully obvious that the stupid thing was going to miss us completely - and the "authorities" weren't a whole lot better.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,855 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #93
    Be glad it didn't stall over Florida like it did over the Bahamas. No one predicted that.
    Better safe and complaining than sorry and SOL.
    Every year I see stories of folks crying on TV saying they had no warning or weren't prepared for how big and bad a storm was going to be. Many of these folks start with, "I've been here for xx many years and I..." Well, it only has to happen once.
    I'm glad the earliest models were wrong. Damn glad!

On the bright side, at least Alabama wasn't hit. 😉
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #94
    Spk said:
    Be glad it didn't stall over Florida like it did over the Bahamas. No one predicted that.
    Models did predict that.  Just didn't predict the duration of the stall.  Which lead to the storm weakening more than they thought due to land interaction and upwelling.

Better safe and complaining than sorry and SOL.
    First world problem: complaining over the internet and with full that you weren't hit as badly by the storm as you could of been.  

Every year I see stories of folks crying on TV saying they had no warning or weren't prepared for how big and bad a storm was going to be. Many of these folks start with, "I've been here for xx many years and I..." Well, it only has to happen once.
    I'm glad the earliest models were wrong. Damn glad!
    Someone did an animation of each successive official cone as issued by NOAA.  The models did a pretty good job of forecasting the path if you stayed within the 3-day cone.  Timing and strength were a little iffy, but the path stayed good.  That being said, I'm glad it didn't follow an early advanced track.

On the bright side, at least Alabama wasn't hit. 😉
    It would have been in the cone.  Have Sharpie, will travel...

Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    We're back online-------no serious damage-----just one big limb and other small stuff down in the yard. Prayers do help!

We seemed to fit between rain bands. Lost pwr for 3/4 of a day----generator worked this time.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Welcome Aboard!
    Overkill is underrated.
    Yep. That's why I camped out on the NOAA/NHC website and ignored the fools yapping on "the news". Boarded up, and was ready to go at a moment's notice - as slow as the storm was, I would have had at least 2 days notice. There was some moron on the local news standing on Cocoa Beach right about the time of closest approach trying his best to spin it as something horrid.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,855 Senior Member
    There's always some weatherman that's gonna try and hype things up. That's what your built in filters are for.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Filter? How about "wall off"? That's the only way to keep the crap at bay!

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    NN said:
    We're back online-------no serious damage-----just one big limb and other small stuff down in the yard. Prayers do help!

We seemed to fit between rain bands. Lost pwr for 3/4 of a day----generator worked this time.
    No pictures? You are usually prowling the neighborhood with some storm damage by now, besides you didn't have to fiddle with the generator ;)
    Glad you guys missed it hey
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    NN said:

Glad you guys came out well
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5