Home Main Category Personal Defense

Chest rigs that work for you?

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,973 Senior Member
Really enjoyed hiking in Glacier National Park last week, but my pack gets in the way of my hip holster.  I think a chest rig would be better, so I am looking into them.

I have a choice of the following hand guns:

G20 - Like it for power, not so much for weight.
G22 - Like it for power, weighs less. Hardball .40 S&W not as good as 10mm
G23 - Like it for power and compactness - possible winner. 40 S&W
G19 - Like it for compactness, not so much for power - 9mm hardball is meh...
GP100 - 6 inch - .357 weighs a lot - good power

A chest rig that firmly holds the gun between my backpack straps that is accessible and has good retention is the goal.

Some of those trails were so narrow it was a bit scary.  If a bear had been walking the same path there would be no way to get away from them, aggressive or not.  I had to let a family of mountain goats walk by me within 3 feet.  One head butt would have sent me falling 100 ft straight down.  I am convinced that in the woods with a pack a chest rig is the way to go.

FWIW we saw four black bears in 6 days and no grizzlies, none were threats.

Thoughts?

D

"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,171 Senior Member
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I have one of these and it’s nice because it fits multiple firearms.

But, I’d prefer a kydex if I was only picking one gun. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018867585
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,367 Senior Member
    Im going on a back pack later this month.

I made my own. YMMV
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I looked at the Kenai and liked it.  Seems like a popular choice for a lot of people, and I can get one style to fit the G19 / G23 / G22, and that's 60% of my gun options in one rig.  $150 is a bit sharp...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Zee said:

What is your opinion of a drop thigh holster vs a chest rig?
    BigDanS said:
    Zee said:

Thigh rigs are The Devil. Thankfully, they died a decade ago for anyone but folks still living in the 90s. 

They are uncomfortable for anything but standing still trying to look cool. You can’t sit, run, drive, sleep, lay down, walk, or any life function except........stand still. 

Useless in my opinion. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    I won't say a thigh holster is the end all and be all - nor is it particularly comfortable. But, the few times I've used one, I've been able to navigate life OK - and NOBODY knew anything about it.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Uh, yeah. 

Wrong part of the thigh. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    Gotta be the right part if it works! ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    I won't say a thigh holster is the end all and be all - nor is it particularly comfortable. But, the few times I've used one, I've been able to navigate life OK - and NOBODY knew anything about it.
    When I wear a skirt...  I'll try that.   NEXT!

D
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 4,367 Senior Member
    BigDanS said:
    Zee said:

If you ever have a chance strap one on and walk about 20 feet and then decide if you want this thing on your leg for miles.  Have you thought about just carrying in a regular cross draw rig?
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    If you ever have a chance strap one on and walk about 20 feet and then decide if you want this thing on your leg for miles.  Have you thought about just carrying in a regular cross draw rig?
    My backpack belt gets in the way.  I tried strapping my Serpa holster to my chest with a regular belt, and made a cross shoulder strap from another belt and it worked pretty good for $0.00.  I think I might work on strapping it to my chest with my own webbing / design for a challenge.
    BigDanS said:
    GunNut said:
    My backpack belt gets in the way.  I tried strapping my Serpa holster to my chest with a regular belt, and made a cross shoulder strap from another belt and it worked pretty good for $0.00.  I think I might work on strapping it to my chest with my own webbing / design for a challenge.
    IIRC they have all sorts of plates for the back of the Serpa ( I have not looked at mine for a while) that allow for different configurations of attachments, straps and such.  I'm pretty sure you can make that work fine with minimum investment.  Also don't know if this is the case with yours but in several of my packs, the belt is removable/replaceable.  You might find some alternative in a padded belt with molle straps in place?

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I have used the paddle holster backer on the padded hip belt of a pack. 

The holster fits between the strapping and the padding. 
    Zee said:
    I have used the paddle holster backer on the padded hip belt of a pack. 

The holster fits between the strapping and the padding. 
    I’ll have to try that with mine when I take the 10mm for a walk.  Great idea, thanks.

It appears I can load .40 S&W hardball 180 gr ammo that will make over 1100 FPS and can penetrate about 36 inches of gel block, using Longshot.  My G23 will hold 13 rounds +1 and a G22 mag gets me another 15.  Thats a lot for a little backwoods hiking protection so I am going to concentrate on that.  Should be plenty for protection  from everything I might run into in the Oregon woods.

As a bonus I could pack my Keltec Sub 2000... but I have no idea where I might hike where I would need that for a day trip.  OTOH,  great overnight rig...

D
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,646 Senior Member
    If you want any modicum of concealment, I am a huge fan of the Hill People Gear rigs.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • tinytank1tinytank1 Posts: 10 New Member
    I could name an entire list of my favorites! But if I had to pick one I would go for a Kydex. It works nice if all you need to carry is one gun.  
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,505 Senior Member

Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,996 Senior Member
    Interested in seeing where this thread goes.  Chest rig is a backpacking no-go for me - - that's where the binoculars go.  I've pretty much settled on a pocketed .357 J-frame - - would like to roll with the GP-100, but have not yet found "the way".
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Anyone ever use one of these???

Not just as a novelty but as an actual field holster for all day carry????
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,348 Senior Member
    edited June 27 #24

Yes, sure have.  Most of my Military time was as a Traffic Manager, spent several assignments with MTMC, now called SDDC working ports.  I was not a stevedore but spent lots of time loading and unloading ships. Climbing over trucks, tanks, helicopters, 
    everything and anything while trying not to trip over tie downs and chains.  
    We did not get issued M-16s for those missions, but M1911s then later M9s.  For moving and climbing up, over and down things, it couldn't be beat.  Out of the way, secure, and quite a bit of adjustment. Ones we were issued were black not brown
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    That's good info there. They often come up on sale. Sound real handy.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,195 Senior Member
    edited June 27 #26
    My Badlands Superday pack has a holster built into the waist belt, carries a J-frame or my 4" Redhawk same same.
    Stock Photo, not my gun:
    Boating  Watersports Badlands Superday Pack Sports  Outdoors
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

El Paso Saddlery makes a really high quality version of this holster.  When they show on eBay they sell swiftly.

CHIRO1989 said:
    My Badlands Superday pack has a holster built into the waist belt, carries a J-frame or my 4" Redhawk same same.
    Stock Photo, not my gun:
    That’s pretty cool. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,996 Senior Member
    Indeed, pretty cool.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,195 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Stock Photo, not my gun:
    That’s pretty cool. 
    Bigslug said:
    Indeed, pretty cool.
    Badlands makes several packs with similar holsters, they can be found on sale for reasonable prices and come in different camo patterns, they are guaranteed for life, I have had one zipper pull break off,  I can get enough stuff in this pack to spend a week at an all inclusive in the carribean, I LOVE travelling with this pack in airports.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11