Home Main Category Clubhouse

Moonbow

mosseybuckmosseybuck MemberSan Luis Valley, CoPosts: 566 Senior Member
Last night we had an unusual thunderstorm after midnight and we had almost half moon in western sky. It caused a moonbow to be formed. My wife called to me to come look and it was pretty clear but not as colorful as normal rainbow. I have never seen one before and was pretty impressed. Just curious how many others here have seen one?
USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,225 Senior Member
    Once or twice.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,824 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #3
    I've seen three here in Colorado Springs while near downtown, which makes me wonder how they would have looked 30 miles east on the plains, away from the lights. Wish I could have seen that.

Never saw one in Louisiana and I figure humidity levels have a lot to do with it. Never even heard of a moonbow until I moved here, but I'm sure glad I saw the ones  I did.

The colors are more subtle than a rainbow, but  still, pretty striking all on their own. Kind of reminded me of those "dark night" paintings on black velvet, but done by a much better hand with no added drama.

Mike

edited to add....When I saw my first one 9-10 years ago, I posted a thread here about it.  Seems they're pretty common in northern Wyoming and Montana.

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Swampland, FLAPosts: 5,100 Senior Member
    I've seen a few but only in the high country.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,673 Senior Member
    I have seen them up at the hunting shack, only light is from us and the neighbors and the stars and moon
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Seen them once or twice. They're caused by droplets in the air and only available were conditions allow. I've seen them mostly around Spring or Fall but sometimes in the Summer when the conditions are just right (rare storm blows through then the wind dies off and lots of Moon breaks through the cloud cover).
    They're pretty cool to look at. 👍

More common than the Moonbow is a lunar halo, which is caused by ice crystals very high up.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,824 Senior Member
    We get moon halos here in the winter so often they don't even warrant comment. A moonbow, otoh, is a whole different critter. Like a glass of water or a mug of beer.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    I've seen moon halos before, but never saw or even heard of a moonbow.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Once you see one, you'll remember.
    👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain