Home Main Category Clubhouse

911 calls from a cell phone?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPodunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

How do they get routed?

I'm guessing that they get routed to the LE agency that is closest to the number of the phone.  My wife and I have phones we bought when we lived in Colorado.  I'm not sure how the PD where we live now would be notified if we called on our cell phones.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Oh man, good question.

Im assuming computer routing based on nearest cell tower relay???
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    My cousin was bit by a fire ant in Texas.  She started to go into Anaphylactic shock and called 911 on her cell phone.  It routed her to the 911 in Tennessee where she lived last and got her phone.  Before they could get her transferred to the her local emergency services she passed out, and was only saved because her neighbor found her and called the local 911.  So at least in her case and at that time it was to her local provider.  That was three years ago, I have no idea if things have changed.  It seemed about the stupidest thing I had ever heard when my aunt and uncle where relating the story to me.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Swampland, FLAPosts: 5,100 Senior Member
    A few years ago I called 911 from home (Brevard Co. Fla.) and it was received by the local PD, Our cells have 303 and 970 (Colo.) numbers.

JAY 
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    That's good to know, Jay.  So many people, us included, only have cell phones.  I opted to not have a land line because it just didn't make sense to spend the money on something we wouldn't use.
    Jerry

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    That's good to know, Jay.  So many people, us included, only have cell phones.  I opted to not have a land line because it just didn't make sense to spend the money on something we wouldn't use.
    The wireless company knows which tower your calling from and some (if not all by now) 911 systems even get your GPS location from the phone when you call and route accordingly.  For even more peace of mind call your carrier and tell them you are using your phone as your home phone and they will tell you how to associate your actual address with the number.  There is a database for that.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Eupora, MSPosts: 2,814 Senior Member
    I was recently in a neighboring county and had to call 911 for a wreck. It went to the county I was actually in. 
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Swampland, FLAPosts: 5,100 Senior Member
    As i was led to understand if your phone is GPS enabled your 911 call goes to the closest 911 operator and gives your location, I was also told that even if your phone is dead, a 911 call will still go thru, I have not tried it myself.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I've only called 911 once to report a herd of horses on the road @ 4:30 AM. The operator knew who I was, but had to ask where I was. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL said:
    I've only called 911 once to report a herd of horses on the road @ 4:30 AM. The operator knew who I was, but had to ask where I was. 
    They ask so they verify what’s in their screens and also to make sure you’re not BS’ing them with a false call.
    jaywapti said:
    As i was led to understand if your phone is GPS enabled your 911 call goes to the closest 911 operator and gives your location, I was also told that even if your phone is dead, a 911 call will still go thru, I have not tried it myself.

JAY
    You can call 911 from a cell phone with no service provider and the local wireless operator HAS to send the call through but the 911 folks will not get your GPS location and they can not call you back if the call disconnects.  You can’t call from a dead phone.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    The wireless company knows which tower your calling from and some (if not all by now) 911 systems even get your GPS location from the phone when you call and route accordingly.
    I thought they did a triangulation calculation from multiple towers?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    The wireless company knows which tower your calling from and some (if not all by now) 911 systems even get your GPS location from the phone when you call and route accordingly.
    I thought they did a triangulation calculation from multiple towers?
    No need to when they get GPS info from your phone.
    For phones with GPS - which I actually think mine does.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member North DakotaPosts: 2,985 Senior Member
    I used to keep an old cell phone in my car just for 911 calls, no service. Called 911 twice with it. Did this in two different cities and went to local 911 operators.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    My wife and I still have our Kansas numbers and our 911 calls are routed to our county dispatch here in MI
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    zorba said:
    For phones with GPS - which I actually think mine does.
    I don’t know that anyone makes a phone without GPS anymore.  Also folks think you can actually turn your GPS off so you can’t be tracked.  When she was still in telecom my wife and an FBI agent with a warrant proved to a kidnapper that you can’t.
    Thanks for all the responses.  Now I'm  just not sure if it makes me feel better or worse. :)
    Jerry

edited September 2019 #19
    GunNut said:
    I don’t know that anyone makes a phone without GPS anymore.
    The flip I had before the flip I have now certainly didn't. But that was then, this is now. Still, looking at specs on flips, most of them don't mention GPS if they do indeed have it. I still have that previous fone and keep it charged as a backup and/or 911 device.
    I sure do miss my Panasonic "Bag Phone"!

)O(
    Thanks for all the responses.  Now I'm  just not sure if it makes me feel better or worse. :)
    As I get older I feel a lot better about it, and NO I'm not getting into a merit discussion of the capabilities.  I just know that it makes me feel better knowing that if I suddenly wake up in the middle of the night with chest pains all I have to do is say "Hey Siri, call 911" and the phone charging next to me will get me though swiftly while delivering my EXACT location to the operator without me having to say another extra word.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #21
    There is a non-smartphone option:

http://www.lifealert.com/
    I'm just here for snark.

We had life alert for my late father, with less than stellar results. At least twice, nobody answered - don't remember the details. But a flip works just fine - and the "Jitterbug" is a great choice for many.

)O(

Yeah but I have my phone with me at all times and so does my wife.  Anyway it's the right option for me and my needs/lifestyle.
    Hate to agree with gun ska, but he's right. If you're in "that situation", you need to have *something* with you. Even me - think "35 year old car" and "no payphones" and "late night gigs", and I should always have  my cell phone with me - even though I often forget about it. I generally keep it in a holster in my dance bag so it goes with me automagically.

)O(
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

Yeah but I have my phone with me at all times and so does my wife.  Anyway it's the right option for me and my needs/lifestyle.
    You prefer tools that multitask.  For those that like unitaskers (I have a GPS!  I have a camera!  I carry a laptop with an air card!) a Life Alert adds that extra item that a multitasking tool like a smart phone doesn't.  
    I'm just here for snark.
    I could have written that. We have 3 of just about everything, 3 GPSes, 3 cameras, 3 laptops (albeit without 4G cards as we don't have that particular need), and even 3 cell phones come to think of it. Only 1 MP3 player though - and its built into a rather large speaker. 1 video cam. Don't ask me how many sewing machines we have though... (!!)

)O(
    zorba said:
    I could have written that. We have 3 of just about everything, 3 GPSes, 3 cameras, 3 laptops (albeit without 4G cards as we don't have that particular need), and even 3 cell phones come to think of it. Only 1 MP3 player though - and its built into a rather large speaker. 1 video cam. Don't ask me how many sewing machines we have though... (!!)

How many sewing machines do you have?
    Jerry

Looks like 14, including a couple of toys that are actually pretty capable.

)O(
    edited September 2019 #29
    GunNut said:

You prefer tools that multitask.  For those that like unitaskers (I have a GPS!  I have a camera!  I carry a laptop with an air card!) a Life Alert adds that extra item that a multitasking tool like a smart phone doesn't.  
    I get it.  But for me with the amount of travel in my life I need to be as compact and mobile as possible.  All in one suits my needs better.  Between my iPad Pro and my iPhone I can handle just about anything I need done and they are redundant, so again, for me, it's an ideal solution.

For example, I have this down to the point that I can make ALL my travel arrangements, go on a trip and manage just about an entire trip without having to interface with a single human except TSA at the airport.  Online tickets and check in on my app, boarding passes on my phone.  Electronic reservations and check-in with phone based keyless entry into my hotel room.  Check out from my app and hotel bill goes right into my expenses app.  Even the rental car I can do all with my phone now.  Grab one from the aisle, drive out the gate and return, leave keys on the seat and go catch my flight.

For expense reports I scan receipts at the table for feeding directly into my expense app too so I never have to find paper receipts or do an actual expense report.  A few keystrokes and my money is coming to me.

When I go to my corp HQs everyone is working on their big laptops.  I have an iPad Pro with a keyboard with an 8 hour battery life.  Which also seamlessly provides all my electronic coms and entertainment while on the road.  I don't watch TV in the room, I have all my streaming apps.  While driving I answer emails and text messages using only voice commands in the car with Apple play.  I use voice commends to get directions from my apps too.  Never have to touch the phone once it pairs with the car whether it's my personal car or a rental.

Wife and I share calendars so she booked two doctor appointments and a dentist for me today without having to ask me if I was available.  I just received the invites and they are automatically added to my calendar.

So again, two devices that handle probably over 95% of all my electronic needs.

I'm NOT trying to tell anyone else how to go through life.  Just giving an example of my personal advantages of being "connected".  I know many folks see a lot of disadvantages based on their specific needs and boundaries.  I just find the scales tipped heavily in one direction for myself.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    The Telcos have been collecting a 911 fee for years (key zorba) to fix 911 calls made from cell phones being sent to the wrong area as well as location pinpointing.  Wonder where all that money has gone?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,677 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:
    The Telcos have been collecting a 911 fee for years (key zorba) to fix 911 calls made from cell phones being sent to the wrong area as well as location pinpointing.  Wonder where all that money has gone?
    Just a guess, but probably towards fixing 911 calls sent from cell phones going to the wrong location as well as location pinpointing.