Home Main Category Personal Defense

New Springfield Armory 9mm Subcompact Pistol

CSRoss0CSRoss0 Posts: 1 New Member
Springfield just dropped their new 9mm subcompact pistol (the Hellcat) and it is poised to take over the concealed carry market. This pistol was designed to challenge the P365 in that market. What does everyone think of this new pistol? 

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/springfield-hellcat-9mm-subcompact-review/368037

Replies

• CSRoss0CSRoss0 Posts: 1 New Member
    Springfield just dropped their new 9mm subcompact pistol (the Hellcat) and it is poised to take over the concealed carry market. This pistol was designed to challenge the P365 in that market. What does everyone think of this new pistol? 

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/springfield-hellcat-9mm-subcompact-review/368037
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,692 Senior Member
    But how will I know where to grip it?  

It needs.... GRIP ZONE!!!!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,692 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #4
    edit- CSRoss0 is Digital Editor for Outdoor Sportsman Group, the parent company of Guns & Ammo.  

Full disclosure.  

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,715 Senior Member
    But how will I know where to grip it?  

It needs.... GRIP ZONE!!!!
    My thoughts exactly.

As with most folks now that it's been announced on social media.  
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,447 Senior Member
     CSRoss0 is Digital Editor for Outdoor Sportsman Group, the parent company of Guns & Ammo.  

Full disclosure.  

Nice to know 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Good detailed article.  Much better than some of the fast gloss over pieces that dominate the publishing world nowadays.  Thank you.

Now on a personal note...  CRAP!!!   Just as I’m finally convincing myself that the P365 is my next investment in a SD gun THIS comes out 🤬
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,773 Senior Member
    Topic of discussion at work this morning. First thing co workers said:  Did you get that P365 yet? I said hoping for a drop in price, then he told me about this one.  Geez looks like a great gun but expensive. Hoping to hold one before too long
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Topic of discussion at work this morning. First thing co workers said:  Did you get that P365 yet? I said hoping for a drop in price, then he told me about this one.  Geez looks like a great gun but expensive. Hoping to hold one before too long
    Yep, and notice the grip safety is gone?!?!? 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,405 Senior Member
    Got a 365, and I'm not interested in the SA.  I'm sure it's a good gun,  but I've got a sub-sub compact I like and I'm not in the market.  As of now, it's untried and I expect it will be for a while until tests and reviews.  Pretty premature at this point.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,561 Senior Member
    CSRoss0 said:

Welcome, hey. To answer your question, it looks interesting, I have not shot a P365 yet, I have a compact 320 , and I like how that shoots better than a Glock 19
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 889 Senior Member
    edit- CSRoss0 is Digital Editor for Outdoor Sportsman Group, the parent company of Guns & Ammo.  

Full disclosure.  

So this is a commercial?
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    For me the P365 shoots way better than the Glock43.  After shooting it  next to the 43, it became a no brainer to me. Now I have to take a look at  this one too.  
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Accipiter said:

Full disclosure.  

So this is a commercial?
    Not when you own the station.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,686 Senior Member
    From the article: "In our opinion, the two-year-old SIG Sauer P365 and Springfield Hellcat Standard and OSP models antiquate all other subcompact, 9mm pistols."
    This is exactly what I said when the P365 came out - right after I bought my LC9s. By comparison, the Hellcat and LC9s are the same length at 6 inches, but the LC9s is taller by about 1/4 of an inch. Mossberg and Kimber, among others, got caught flatfooted by the P365 having new sub-compact nines already well along in their engineering pipelines when Sig introduced theirs. Everybody else has been trying to catch up ever since! I'm sure SA has patented their magazine design as well, there are only so many ways to do this in the space required, so it'll be interesting to see how many others - if any - manage to compete with these. Glock put out a half hearted effort with the G43X, but that isn't really the same thing.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,166 Senior Member
    I heard one time, Never go to a gunfight with anything that don't start with a 4
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God 9 not by works, lest any man should boast.
    Ephesians 2:8-9
    So no .50 Beowulf then? ;)

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,432 Senior Member
    Accipiter said:

Full disclosure.  

So this is a commercial?

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,447 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

Not when you own the station.
    LOL #truth
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 889 Senior Member
    I don’t see how it is any less a commercial because G&A owns it.  Stations run commercials for their own content all the time.  This is a commercial, simple as that.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,561 Senior Member
    Might help if the original poster stopped back in and introduced his/herself
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,715 Senior Member
    Not really my thing. If I'm carrying a double stack, I want a full grip, and if I have a full grip I may as well have a 4 inch barrel. 

Overkill is underrated.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,814 Senior Member
    FAR more interested in the Glock 48 and 43x options with their standard 10-round stacks, and for those who care, an aftermarket flush-fit 15 rounder may soon be available.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    I don't have interest in any SA polymer gun offering.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,405 Senior Member
    I understand the feeling, although I love plastic guns.  I'm not warming up to the 365, which is excellent in all respects.  Instead, I'm more drawn to my J Frames, which I carry in my pocket, and my PPKs, one in .32 and one in .380.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #26
    zorba said:
    From the article: "In our opinion, the two-year-old SIG Sauer P365 and Springfield Hellcat Standard and OSP models antiquate all other subcompact, 9mm pistols."
    This is exactly what I said when the P365 came out - right after I bought my LC9s. By comparison, the Hellcat and LC9s are the same length at 6 inches, but the LC9s is taller by about 1/4 of an inch. Mossberg and Kimber, among others, got caught flatfooted by the P365 having new sub-compact nines already well along in their engineering pipelines when Sig introduced theirs. Everybody else has been trying to catch up ever since! I'm sure SA has patented their magazine design as well, there are only so many ways to do this in the space required, so it'll be interesting to see how many others - if any - manage to compete with these. Glock put out a half hearted effort with the G43X, but that isn't really the same thing.

I took my new P365 out the first time yesterday.  As a Glock fanboy, this is what I found:

Pros:
    1) The 10 round mag with the pinky extension fit me perfectly.  
    2) Trigger - significantly better than my G43/19’s.  The lack of the trigger safety made it much easier to shoot.
    3) Unlike my LCP, I am confident that I could shoot it accurately.  Recoil was mitigated to the point that I didn’t care at all.
    4 ) Virtually identical to my G43 in size.

Cons: 
    1)  The trigger is almost too good for a concealed carry gun.  For safety reasons, I think a lot of Hellcats will be sold vs the Sig.  

2)I had more than a few failure to go into battery events.  Since my Buddy didn’t have a similar problem, I assume it was a “me” problem and noticed it went away as I got more rounds downrange.  Nevertheless, I’ll need more practice with it before I trust it over the G43.   A good cleaning and lubrication tomorrow is part of my “fix it” plan. 
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    zorba said:

I took my new P365 out the first time yesterday.  As a Glock fanboy, this is what I found:

Pros:
    1) The 10 round mag with the pinky extension fit me perfectly.  
    2) Trigger - significantly better than my G43/19’s.  The lack of the trigger safety made it much easier to shoot.
    3) Unlike my LCP, I am confident that I could shoot it accurately.  Recoil was mitigated to the point that I didn’t care at all.
    4 ) Virtually identical to my G43 in size.

Con: 
    1)  I had more than a few failure to go into battery events.  Since my Buddy didn’t have a similar problem, I assume it was a “me” problem and noticed it went away as I got more rounds downrange.  Nevertheless, I’ll need more practice with it before I trust it over the G43.   A good cleaning and lubrication tomorrow is part of my “fix it”plan. 

The better than most trigger is why the P365 also comes with a manual safety.  Not for everyone, but a choice for those that prefer it.
    edited December 2019 #29
    When I bought my LC9s, it was a neck-to-neck run between it and the G43 in my mind - so if the P365's trigger is better than a G43, it's gotta be pretty decent at least. @Diver43 Yea, I like a manual safety as well.
    @uncle fester Thanx for the range report!

)O(
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,131 Senior Member
    JasonMPD said:
    This. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    JasonMPD said:
    This. 
    Is that because you are staying with the Glock platform only,  or is there something about SA?