Home Main Category Clubhouse

LEO's .. others.. does evil exist?

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberMiami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
I ask LEO's and their counterparts this specific question.  Does evil exist?  I live in a bubble, seeing only the news and living a darn good lifestyle.  I haven't had to  give bad news, rescue the victim, rescue and arrest a perp, etc...

As a neutral observer, I see what I believe are evil acts frequently.  I see good people turn and kill the ones they love on the news.  I see frustrated "InCEL's" commiting horrendous crimes against people.

So, my question to you, does evil exist?  On the front line, do you see it?  Is it something we made up to explain the actions of others?

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    Yes
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    One of many reasons I couldn't be a LEO. I would end up in jail eventually.

If I went to a call where a pedo has been molesting a child, I would taze him in the sack until the batteries wore out.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    I worked in EMS, Fire and LE....you damn betcha evil exists..

The public is so insulated from the reality of what goes on out there...they have no idea...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    edited September 2019 #5
    Any student of history, amateur or serious knows beyond doubt the certainty of evils existence. Reality makes Hollywood horror movies look like Disney Land.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    Yep.
    Only a fool would deny its existence. I see plenty of it every day, and that's just the politicians! Which reminds me of a quote from "The Godfather III": "Politics and crime -- they're the same thing." Which tells me all I need to know about politicians!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    Not an LEO, but yes- evil exists.   I’ve seen enough, and know people that have been hurt by it
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    Yes.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    Of course it does.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    Yes.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    I won't rant but YES.

When people value themselves over and above anyone around them. When they betray our trust to persue their own selfish ambitions. When they hurt others without remorse. Then YES evil exists.

Read Mark 7:21-23
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,033 Senior Member
    Evil is out there and you don't have to go far to find it.

You don't even have to look that hard.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    I won't rant but YES.

When people value themselves over and above anyone around them. When they betray our trust to persue their own selfish ambitions. When they hurt others without remorse. Then YES evil exists.

Read Mark 7:21-23
    I attend church most weeks, and I strongly believe in evil existing.  Believing good exists, a supreme being with good intent, makes evil a possibility, but not a certainty.  The manifestation of evil guarantees there is a good force, no matter how hard it is to get around that.  

So let's continue the discussion, is evil active? Do we face a real foe? 

I am somewhat interested in the new TV show, "Evil"  that has a fictional duo, a cop and a priest investigating crimes.  I find the concept has potential.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I believe evil is active all the time. Actively working or actively waiting to work against good.
    Here's a photo of North Korea at night.

The regime rewards the elite (those in line with the Dear Leader -- they live in Pyongyang) while all others face starvation, murder or public execution. That smacks off evil based on my understanding of it. There are many other examples around the world, especially in the Middle East but Korea is something we can see from space.

As for the TV show, it has potential if they don't make a comedy of it.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    If evil was not real, how would you even understand good?  The entire universe is a huge balancing act.  Yin and yang are real.
    Gunnut: That is one of the most succinct, and accurate, thoughts on the subject I've ever read. {BOW HERE}
    The balance is WAAAAAAAY off right now, but it *WILL* right itself - and mankind probably won't like it when it happens.
    As most here know, I'm a polytheist - and that certainly includes "dark Gods". Some even are both good and evil.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    To extend this even further... LEO’s and EMS , did you ever encounter a person you considered “possessed”.  
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Northland, New ZealandPosts: 954 Senior Member
    Yes, evil does exist.

On the other hand everyone is perfectly capable of anything, given the right circumstances, this I have seen and understand. 

The truly warped "evil" ones will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck, you pick up on them quicker after the first one, but the cleverer ones can surprise you with how they deceive and manipulate you with their mask.
    BigDanS said:
    To extend this even further... LEO’s and EMS , did you ever encounter a person you considered “possessed”.  
    There has certainly been a few cases were the difference between "possessed" or on drugs was a matter of perspective.

• GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    I am not going to get into theology here, even though that is where the answer to all of this can be found.  For anyone interested, it's in a book known as the Holy Bible.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 386 Member
    This thread brings back bad memories. Providing medical care to babies in diapers. One had been beaten so badly the autopsy found his liver had been ruptured. Another had bite marks and cigarette burns on his body. Never found out if he survived. Can't believe what some monsters are capable of.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    BigDanS said:
    Im not an LEO. Im a truck driver that spent most of my wheel time in afternoon rush hour traffic. Demonic possession is not only real, its intermittently epidemic. Pay days, pending hollidays, and full moons predicate the horror. Avoiding eye contact and chanting silent prayers are advisable at such times.
    BigDanS said:
    Im not an LEO. Im a truck driver that spent most of my wheel time in afternoon rush hour traffic. Demonic possession is not only real, its intermittently epidemic. Pay days, pending hollidays, and full moons predicate the horror. Avoiding eye contact and chanting silent prayers are advisable at such times.
    The Devil Highway route 666 redesignated route 491 in 2003. Like that's gonna make a difference.

• GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    BigDanS said:
    The Devil Highway route 666 redesignated route 491 in 2003. Like that's gonna make a difference.

I lived a half mile off of that highway out in the boondocks as a boy growing up.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    If evil was not real, how would you even understand good?  The entire universe is a huge balancing act.  Yin and yang are real.
    Good and Evil are the opposite sides of the same coin. Without something with which to compare, either concept alone has no meaning.
    And evil definitely exists, and is manifested in most of its forms daily around the world.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,461 Senior Member
    Another question comes to mind .
    Evil does exist & most of us know it ....... why do we allow it to continue & in some cases vote them back in ? Is stupid a form of evil ? If so we are really in a tub of crap .
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Evil does exist & most of us know it ....... why do we allow it to continue & in some cases vote them back in ? Is stupid a form of evil ? If so we are really in a tub of crap .
    Evil is by nature deceptive.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Old Ron said:
    When all available choices are evil, what do you do?

)O(
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Old Ron said:
    Pick the lesser of the evils.....OR...refuse to participate
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    zorba said:
    Old Ron said:
    I've done the 1st, EVERY SINGLE TIME I vote. Its ALWAYS "against" something, never "for" anything - although Trump was about as close as a "for" vote from me has ever gotten.
    I'm sick of the GAME. Somebody stop the planet and let me off!

)O(
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Jayhawker said:
    zorba said:
    Old Ron said:
    I've done the 1st, EVERY SINGLE TIME I vote. Its ALWAYS "against" something, never "for" anything - although Trump was about as close as a "for" vote from me has ever gotten.
    I'm sick of the GAME. Somebody stop the planet and let me off!

But, where are you going to get off at?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5