Home Main Category Clubhouse

Veterans

rbsivleyrbsivley Senior MemberThe Heart of DixiePosts: 1,259 Senior Member
Any other Veterans on here? I served in the Army Reserves from 75-85 then went Active Duty from 85-07 to include one tour in Iraq.
Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
«1

Replies

  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,690 Senior Member
    Just a few!! USAF 1969-1995
    DaNang 1971
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,831 Senior Member
    Just 4 years in Army 86-90..... All at Ft. Richardson Alaska

    I used terminal leave to ETS 30 days early. If I hadn't, I would have got stuck there for another winter due to everyone getting locked in for Desert Storm
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,564 Senior Member
    1977-1997
    Desert Shield/Storm, Panama Invasion, Mogadishu 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,823 Senior Member
    USMC '77-'81. Luckily, I missed all the fun stuff.

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Just a few!! USAF 1969-1995
    DaNang 1971
    Did you ever meet any sailors from VF-96 while you were in DaNang?
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,291 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #7
    U.S. Army, 1969 - 1974 Aside from stateside posts I served with the 38th ADA Brigade in Korea...
    1976-1978 Michigan ANG,110th Tactical Fighter Wing...Law Enforcement Specialist
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Swampland, FLAPosts: 5,100 Senior Member
    1957 - 1958, 99 BW,  ARW SAC, Mt. Home AFB Idaho
    1958 - 1960, 3922 CSG SAC, Nauasseur AFB Morocco 
    1960 - 1961, 4045 ARW  SAC Selfridge AFB Michigan 
    1971 - 1975, VP-62 NAS (USNR) Jacksonville Florida

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    1972 to late 1976 aboard the USS Dale DLG/CG 19. Then 1977 to 1982 in the TN Army National Guard with the 1st/278th Armored Cavalry in commo unit setting up field radios, phone systems, and whatever was needed to communicate. On the Dale had a front row seat during the '73 Israeli-Egyptian war, and had lots of fun with the Russians during that dustup. My ship operated alone mostly so we had many opportunities to get the Russians nervous, and did. Fun stuff!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,291 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
    1957 - 1958, 99 BW,  ARW SAC, Mt. Home AFB Idaho
    1958 - 1960, 3922 CSG SAC, Nauasseur AFB Morocco 
    1960 - 1961, 4045 ARW  SAC Selfridge AFB Michigan 
    1971 - 1975, VP-62 NAS (USNR) Jacksonville Florida

    JAY
    Selfridge! Do you remember where the 661st Search radar was? I was at the 28th Artillery Group in the blockhouse...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,823 Senior Member
    Well....if I was specific......

    Sitting inside a ship or 'chopper staring at walls wondering where we were and where we were going and when we were going to get there. . You never knew for sure. More often than not we landed where we started .

    Sometimes we didn't though. Those times were cool.

    Mike 
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,242 Senior Member
    University of Science Music and Culture, 82-86.

    Swing with the wing baby. EA-6B electrician. Went to; Connie, Kittyhawk, Fallon NV, MCAS Yuma, Mirimar but since I picked overseas first, east coast second, and west coast dead last, the Corps decided I was in the training sqd for all Marine and Navy personnel on Whidbey Is WA for the most part.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Tarpon Springs FLPosts: 1,281 Senior Member
    USAF 1962-1966   Eglin AFB, QF-104/F-104B Crew Chief
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Swampland, FLAPosts: 5,100 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    jaywapti said:
    1957 - 1958, 99 BW,  ARW SAC, Mt. Home AFB Idaho
    1958 - 1960, 3922 CSG SAC, Nauasseur AFB Morocco 
    1960 - 1961, 4045 ARW  SAC Selfridge AFB Michigan 
    1971 - 1975, VP-62 NAS (USNR) Jacksonville Florida

    JAY
    Selfridge! Do you remember where the 661st Search radar was? I was at the 28th Artillery Group in the blockhouse...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I seem to remember a radar site off the N. E. end of the runway.

    JAY 
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,690 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    Big Al1 said:
    Just a few!! USAF 1969-1995
    DaNang 1971
    Did you ever meet any sailors from VF-96 while you were in DaNang?
    Don't remember any Navy guys but there was a lot of Marines. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,291 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
    Jayhawker said:
    jaywapti said:
    1957 - 1958, 99 BW,  ARW SAC, Mt. Home AFB Idaho
    1958 - 1960, 3922 CSG SAC, Nauasseur AFB Morocco 
    1960 - 1961, 4045 ARW  SAC Selfridge AFB Michigan 
    1971 - 1975, VP-62 NAS (USNR) Jacksonville Florida

    JAY
    Selfridge! Do you remember where the 661st Search radar was? I was at the 28th Artillery Group in the blockhouse...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I seem to remember a radar site off the N. E. end of the runway.

    JAY 
    Yep...that was the place...the Army and the Coast Guard had their barracks on that side of the base...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,564 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #17
    Does anyone know of a good legitimate sight to locate old Military friends?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,690 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Does anyone know of a good legitimate sight to locate old Military friends?
    I just found my best friend in Nam by doing a quick Face**** search. Hadn't seen him since 1971!, but we were best friends for two years!!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #19
    US Army 4/70 to 4/73. Basic Training at Ft. Dix, NJ, Advanced training at US Army Medical Center, Ft. Sam Houston, TX, Medical Laboratory Specialist, US Army Medical Center, Ft. Knox, KY, Blood Bank Specialist. Did last 19 months at USAREUR Blood Bank, Landstuhl, Germany. It was the best job ever, but I had to take an extra year for a guaranteed school, in order to not take my chances with what they would randomly give me, and I attained rank of SP5 in 2 years. MOS: 92B20/M4
    M4 was the Blood Bank designation.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Does anyone know of a good legitimate sight to locate old Military friends?
    I am a member of this one: https://togetherweserved.com/   It's free to join for basic membership, but if you want "advanced privileges" there's a fee. I don't recall what the fee is, but it's not a lot of money.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Gila said:
    Big Al1 said:
    Just a few!! USAF 1969-1995
    DaNang 1971
    Did you ever meet any sailors from VF-96 while you were in DaNang?
    Don't remember any Navy guys but there was a lot of Marines. 
    We only showed up when one of our F-4s broke, so we could fix it to get it back aboard the ship.  Once our work was done we were always looking for a beer...  :D
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • 1911LVR1911LVR New Member Posts: 21 New Member
    Spent 10 years in the Navy's Silent Service.
    US Navy Veteran * NRA and GOA Member
    =================================
    Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,690 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    Big Al1 said:
    Gila said:
    Big Al1 said:
    Just a few!! USAF 1969-1995
    DaNang 1971
    Did you ever meet any sailors from VF-96 while you were in DaNang?
    Don't remember any Navy guys but there was a lot of Marines. 
    We only showed up when one of our F-4s broke, so we could fix it to get it back aboard the ship.  Once our work was done we were always looking for a beer...  :D
    The Marines had planes on the other side of the field. They flew F4B's, A-6's and A-4's.
    I crewed F-4E's, (plane caption in Navy jargon)
    We had plenty of beer, I'm surprised we never met!! B)
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member The Heart of DixiePosts: 1,259 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Does anyone know of a good legitimate sight to locate old Military friends?
    I am a member of this one: https://togetherweserved.com/   It's free to join for basic membership, but if you want "advanced privileges" there's a fee. I don't recall what the fee is, but it's not a lot of money.
    Yes I belong to them, but I never really use it. As a matter of fact I just had to change my password to get in.
    Randy

    Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #25
    Big Al1 said:
    Gila said:
    Big Al1 said:
    Gila said:
    Big Al1 said:
    Just a few!! USAF 1969-1995
    DaNang 1971
    Did you ever meet any sailors from VF-96 while you were in DaNang?
    Don't remember any Navy guys but there was a lot of Marines. 
    We only showed up when one of our F-4s broke, so we could fix it to get it back aboard the ship.  Once our work was done we were always looking for a beer...  :D
    The Marines had planes on the other side of the field. They flew F4B's, A-6's and A-4's.
    I crewed F-4E's, (plane caption in Navy jargon)
    We had plenty of beer, I'm surprised we never met!! B)
    We may have if you ever ran into any sailors in their dungarees having a beer there.  Not so much on the flight line, because they stuck us on the ramp all by ourselves, away from other aircraft.  I remember a sandbag bunker being near where they parked us.

    I was an AT (aviation electronics technician) with VF-96, and we had a blaçk falcon painted on the vertical stabilizer.

    Fighting Falcons VF-96 Randy Duke Cunningham

    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    rbsivley said:
    Diver43 said:
    Does anyone know of a good legitimate sight to locate old Military friends?
    I am a member of this one: https://togetherweserved.com/   It's free to join for basic membership, but if you want "advanced privileges" there's a fee. I don't recall what the fee is, but it's not a lot of money.
    Yes I belong to them, but I never really use it. As a matter of fact I just had to change my password to get in.
    Yeah, I don't use it much either. Without the advanced privileges, it doesn't do much. I have been matched up with names of people I worked with in Germany, though. I just don't want to pay the fee.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I was headed for the Navy right out of HS but dad wanted me to be a Doctor so he successfully blocked it (long story).  I tried again after 9/11 but the Marines said I was too old.  So now I have to be content with both my kids on active duty.  
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,073 Senior Member
    I've played Call of Duty a few times, so I'm basically Special Ranger EOD Forces. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    I've played Call of Duty a few times, so I'm basically Special Ranger EOD Forces. 
    Yeah, I'm sure we have a huge Special Ops Reserve force out there that are Call of Duty trained. 😁
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,222 Senior Member
    I barely made it back onto the helicopter... Good thing I had lots of lives on CoD! ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Get to the Choppa!

    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement