Home Main Category General Firearms

358 range report.

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberColorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
I took the 358 out today for an initial “get to know ya” out at the range. I don’t think the V8 weaver is holding zero. I had a 4” group at 25 yards with some factory hornady ammo.  I’m going to strip the scope off and try again..... 
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,561 Senior Member
    Hope that is all it is.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Hope that is all it is.
    Yeah, me too. 
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,689 Senior Member
    The rifle's junk!! I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands!! B)
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    As we discussed, if it's not the scope, It seems (from my google searches) the .358 Winchester 99 has a 1:12" twist barrel.  The 200gr Hornady bullet MAY be a little light for it.  My .35 Whelen shoots that same bullet to .5 MOA with Factory ammo but the twist is 1:16".
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,069 Senior Member
    Rifle is toast. I’ll let you recoup half your cost. 

Cause I’m nice like that. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    Oh sure, you hit the range the day I leave Colorado!!
    sakodude said:
    Oh sure, you hit the range the day I leave Colorado!!
    Why the heck didn’t you shoot me a call, or text?
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I'm betting on the scope.  My .358 puts the 200 grainer in less than 1.5" at 100 yards.  I could probably do better with hand loads, but hunting with it was a one deal for me until I bloodied it, so it will probably take an honored place in my safe for now.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I'm betting on the scope.  My .358 puts the 200 grainer in less than 1.5" at 100 yards.  I could probably do better with hand loads, but hunting with it was a one deal for me until I bloodied it, so it will probably take an honored place in my safe for now.
    That’s what Im hoping....
    My money is still on the scope too.  Anyway, here's an excellent article on the .358

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.358+Winchester.html
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,038 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #12
    GunNut said:
    As we discussed, if it's not the scope, It seems (from my google searches) the .358 Winchester 99 has a 1:12" twist barrel.  The 200gr Hornady bullet MAY be a little light for it.  My .35 Whelen shoots that same bullet to .5 MOA with Factory ammo but the twist is 1:16".
    I'm not sure that a faster twist rate is a problem with lighter/shorter bullets.  The article you list says that 1:12 is usually only a problem with lighter bullets driven fast in magnums, say at velocities over 2,950 fps.  Elk Creek's ammo's more like 2,500 fps in a 24" barrel, which I don't believe his rifle has.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Two sets of 4 rounds at 50 yards with irons. The rear sight is in its lowest setting. Not stellar by any standard 

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Not stellar, but the potential is there. Need more variety of ammo. If the shots are rising and pulling right with heat. Some forearm tinkering might help.

I'd buy some ammo and reduce groups to two shots. Nothing round' here is gonna soak up more n' two a those big slugs.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,038 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    Two sets of 4 rounds at 50 yards with irons. The rear sight is in its lowest setting. Not stellar by any standard 

Looks better than 4" at 25 yds...
    I'm just here for snark.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #16
    Elk creek said:
    Diver43 said:
    Hope that is all it is.
    Yeah, me too. 
    About 4 years back my 7 mag Savage 110 went bonkers on me. It was shooting 5 inch groups at 100 yards all of a sudden. This had always been  one of my most accurate rifles. I bought it used off a Gun Broker auction and it was pretty old when I got it so Iwas ready to throw in the hat and rebarrel it. I mean a 40 year old 7 Mag. could easily be shot out. Then as a last resort I started to remove the scope and put another scope on it to make sure it was the barrel and not a scope problem. I had a 35 year old Weaver K6 steel tube on it and was also wondering if the scope had left the building along with Elvis. It had Weaver style claw mounts on it. When I went to loosen the back ring from the base I saw the whole problem. The rear claw bolt was broken. I put some new rings on it and it was back to 3/4 inch groups.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    Elk creek said:
    Diver43 said:
    Hope that is all it is.
    Yeah, me too. 
    About 4 years back my 7 mag Savage 110 went bonkers on me. It was shooting 5 inch groups at 100 yards all of a sudden. This had always been  one of my most accurate rifles. I bought it used off a Gun Broker auction and it was pretty old when I got it so Iwas ready to throw in the hat and rebarrel it. I mean a 40 year old 7 Mag. could easily be shot out. Then as a last resort I started to remove the scope and put another scope on it to make sure it was the barrel and not a scope problem. I had a 35 year old Weaver K6 steel tube on it and was also wondering if the scope had left the building along with Elvis. It had Weaver style claw mounts on it. When I went to loosen the back ring from the base I saw the whole problem. The rear claw bolt was broken. I put some new rings on it and it was back to 3/4 inch groups.
    It shot “better” with irons still 16” high. I changed out the front sight and really gave the barrel a scrubbing. It was surprisingly filthy! It sure looked a lot cleaner. I’m going to load some Sierra 225’s and go from there. 
    Now we’re talking 😁
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,602 Senior Member
    My 99 was ridden had and put away wet. It took a long time to get the barrel clean. Have you looked at the muzzle? Indiscriminate  cleaning from a past owner may have damaged it.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: