Home Main Category Clubhouse

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Nice products.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,222 Senior Member
    Nice enough, but the amount of money being asked for a "House Ball", I'd expect at least a 10K rating. The clevis/hook thingie looks cool, but a standard pintle hook would do the same thing more securely.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,291 Senior Member
    How is a trailer hitch " tactical"?
    Could you paint a regular trailer hitch flat black and convert it to a tactical hitch? A spray can field modification as it were...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Have Zee paint it!
    Our '63 GMC 1 ton had a hitch that might have been "tactical", it was a "Tour-Aide" that was far more massive than anything I've seen today, and it stuck out a good 6 inches. That truck was rear ended by a flatbed truck once - the driver apparently lost his brakes, knew he was going to hit, saw that trailer hitch and decided he didn't want any part of it, so turned to where the his front bumper corner hit the GMC's rear bumper and avoided the hitch altogether. The GMC was pushed into the middle of the intersection, there was a half-dollar sized dent in the rear bumper that you really had to look for to find.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    It fades, it fades... Thinking about it, the hitch on the old GMC didn't stick out 6 inches, it was at least 9, maybe more. It was welded to the bumper, it was welded to the frame, it had cross braces for at least 2-1/2 feet under the truck, all welded together. Pretty darn serious! Quarter inch diamond plate bumper - what's supposed to be on the back end of a truck!

)O(
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    It fades, it fades... Thinking about it, the hitch on the old GMC didn't stick out 6 inches, it was at least 9, maybe more. It was welded to the bumper, it was welded to the frame, it had cross braces for at least 2-1/2 feet under the truck, all welded together. Pretty darn serious! Quarter inch diamond plate bumper - what's supposed to be on the back end of a truck!
    Mine is a class IV bolted entirely to the frame, and not touching the bumper at all.  I've never measured how far it sticks out, but my knee sure knows the measurement. 
    I'd say it's a real hitch the way it's supposed to be...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    edited October 2019 #8
    Yep, our knees got barked on that thing more than once. I don't think there were "classes" back then - all I know is that I've never seen any other hitch as H.D. as this one. It wasn't just a simple bumper weld, there were several braces connecting it to the bumper - which was in turn welded to the frame - as well as massive cross braces connecting the hitch directly to the frame as well. Way overbuilt I'm sure, probably weighed several hundred pounds! The spare tire no longer fit under the bed of the truck as a result, but it was a stepside truck and there was plenty of room for the spare on one of the steps. A propane tank and a big steel "military box of some kind" was on the step on the other side.

)O(
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,291 Senior Member
    While useful for their intended purpose, when it happens, I have an intense hatred for those knee-knockin bastards...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,823 Senior Member
    Hmmmm......

"Black balls".

That's a new one.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    Hmmmm......

"Black balls".

That's a new one.

Mike
    Yeah, usually they turn blue...  :D
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I bet them knurled edges on that adjustable height hitch would remove the hide off a shin better than a wood rasp! :D:D:D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    I bet them knurled edges on that adjustable height hitch would remove the hide off a shin better than a wood rasp! :D:D:D
    They would. The standard Class 11 I have has scraped my shins more than once, and I wouldn't want those knurled edges to bite me either.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    tennmike said:
    They would. The standard Class 11 I have has scraped my shins more than once, and I wouldn't want those knurled edges to bite me either.
    The sharp edges on a regular hitch are bad enough. Those 'rasp' edges would be brutal. That mess was probably designed by someone that has never contacted a hitch with shin or kneecap.
    Glad I have a shop and tools. I've made the hook type and pintle type receivers, and the one with the U-shaped part. That one with the U-shape attachment is great for tow straps. I don't have any 'hollow' receiver hitch parts. They are all solid steel, and a close fit with the receiver so they don't rattle, and the bolt isn't subjected to so much shear force between receiver and hitch shank.
    Having a shop is a double edged sword. It's kept me busy and, therefore, out of trouble, but has the potential to get me into all kinds of trouble if I 'went off the reservation'.

― Douglas Adams
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    B&W hitch’s best hitch ever. The stow option is awesome pull the pins flip it around out of the way. The best. 
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    How is a trailer hitch " tactical"?
    Could you paint a regular trailer hitch flat black and convert it to a tactical hitch? A spray can field modification as it were...
    No olive drab 
    My hitch ball is 'tactical red rust'. Going for that 'retro' browning look. The receiver it's bolted to is painted flat black, and is greasy.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • tgjunkietgjunkie Posts: 3 New Member
    These are cool, thanks for sharing. I just might have to purchase one.