Home Main Category Clubhouse

Hunting at Arnold Engineering

mosseybuckmosseybuck MemberSan Luis Valley, CoPosts: 564 Senior Member
edited October 2019 in Clubhouse #1
Mike I just read your comments about hunting at Arnold Engineering. It was before A-10s came along but my cousin and I archery hunted there a few times In the '60s. I saw some really nice bucks but only shot I got was at a doe that was too far, I missed. Too far away for me now but I'd really like to hunt there again. Not far from my old homeplace near Nashville.
USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Still a good place to hunt. But it can get crowded quickly, and unless they changed the rules, gun season is shotgun and slugs only; no rifles. And the last couple of years I hunted there, the TWRA game wardens were as as abrasive as a 10 grit sanding belt applied to your butt. THAT is why I quit hunting there when I did. There are some big deer out there in that area, though. Give it a shot. And archery season allows crossbows now so that's a plus.
    Just don't go hunting at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) facility. There are some big bucks there, too. But they have to pass the radiation testing to be allowed offsite when you get one. The methyl ethyl bad stuff also tends to collect most heavily in the antlers. Some of them tend to glow in the dark, which makes them easier to see at first and last light. :#
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams