Home Main Category General Firearms

.17 HMR VS .22WMR

2»

Replies

• AntonioAntonio Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Diver I have been thinking about a new 22 and was looking at my lgs last night. He told me about a cz that they no longer make but are still out there that you can get 3 different barrels for.  22lr, 22mag and 17. He found at one of his distributors a package 22lr and 17 for $500.  Barrels are a little over $100. I have not owned a cz but have heard great things about them.
    The CZ your LGS seller must be talking about the CZ 455. Indeed that rifle can switch calibers between .22LR, .22WMR and .17HMR by changing barrels sold as kits (around $ 120 each) , along with magazines (.22WMR & .17HMR use the same ones, either plastic or steel ones) and a plastic spacer for the magazine well if using the .22LR kit.

Barrel is fixed in place by a couple of bolts and are specific for each available model (American, Varmint, Lux, etc.). I have a 455 FS (Full Stock) in .22LR as my main small game hunting rifle and it's VERY accurate even with cheap bulk ammo; no plans to change it to another caliber anyway.

If you don't care about swapping calibers you can also look for a CZ 452 or 453 (with set trigger); out of production recently to simplify manufacturing but you might still find them NIB for reasonable prices ($ 500-ish?). The 455 has also been recently dropped in favor of the newest 457 model (Shorter bolt throw and angle, different "American style" safety, etc.) but still using the same barrel kits of the 455. Problem with this new model is that they're still solving the bugs so not all are as accurate and reliable as their predecessors.

For me under 600 bucks you won't find something better in old-school quality, looks and performance than a CZ 452/453 and also 455.

If staying below 150 yards, my choice would be .22WMR. Have only shot a single .17HMR that belongs to a friend (Brand new Ruger 77/17) and due to a mild crosswind performance was less than expected. We shot  scoped (Nikon rimfire if memory doesn't fails me) @ 200 yards with Winchester hollowpoints and Remington plastic tips and best average group for both of us was around 2"; also many fired brass showed longitudinal cracks from the mouth, so very dissapointed with this caliber so far.

In the other hand was testing a friend's Zastava Precision Mannlicher (I have a .22LR one) in .22WMR @ 150 yards using assorted new and old rounds (Most Winchester and Remington FMJ, SP and HP) and although that rifle needs some tweaking out of the box to perform properly, performance was very good despite some crosswind.

As far as I recall, the only .22WMR round that is cooper coated like the .22LRs instead of fully or partially jacketed is the Winchester Dynapoint hollowpoint which has a rather slow muzzle velocity (around 1,600 fps) for its cartridge family.

Good luck in your search!
  • orchidmanorchidman Posts: 8,419 Senior Member
    I will just leave this here................. :D

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • AntonioAntonio Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Those and the Anschutz are also great choices too, but quite a lot more expensive than a CZ. Accuracy out of the box  for them is excellent and overall quality very good. 
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I case form and reload for the .17 K Hornet. And regarding reloading, you end up getting involved in tiny funnel hunting as it requires its own funnel (mine is a tiny tempered glass lab funnel), and you'll then go on a 'bug hunt' for the perfect tweezers to hold that tiny bullet as you get it started into the seating die and case mouth. I got lucky with the tweezers; found some plastic ones at Science & Surplus that work great.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 12,645 Senior Member
    I have decided to go with the .22wmr.
    Probably a Savage 93 fv-sr or Savage B22 fv-sr. If I dont find one from a local shop will order from Buds.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • sakodudesakodude Posts: 4,797 Senior Member
    Well bummer, I was about to offer you a deal on a 17 HMR.....
    sakodude said:
    Well bummer, I was about to offer you a deal on a 17 HMR.....

You have mail
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigDanSBigDanS Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I have the CZ in .22 wmr, and if you search the threads somewhere I have a range report on it.  If you use ammoseek.com, you can get .22 wmr pretty inexpensively, and as far as accuracy goes, I shot a dime sized 100 yard group, with a cheap scope.  I would take a .22 wmr over a .17 unless I had the extra coin for the supplies and the extra ammo costs.  I know you don't reload but the .22 hornet would be the reloadable alternative.  

IMHO.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Diver43 said:
    Probably a Savage 93 fv-sr or Savage B22 fv-sr. If I dont find one from a local shop will order from Buds.
    OK, I I was made a very fair offer, so I will have a .17hmr and a little down the road will have one in .22wmr also.
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    OK, I I was made a very fair offer, so I will have a .17hmr and a little down the road will have one in .22wmr also.
    You really can't have too many rimfires! :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,707 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Diver43 said:
    Be sure to try both 17 and 20 grain bullets. My .17 HMR rifles shoot much better groups with the 20 grain bullets. 
    JKP said:
    Diver43 said:
    Diver43 said:
    Be sure to try both 17 and 20 grain bullets. My .17 HMR rifles shoot much better groups with the 20 grain bullets. 
    Thanks
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Diver43 said:
    I think he's making room in that safe of his.
    Poor guy
  • jbohiojbohio Posts: 5,617 Senior Member
    @Diver43 An observation on light and fast verses a bit bigger and heavier.....

I forget exactly what Scooter shot in his .204 (I know that's not .17 cal, but it's the closest I have any experience with), but I think it was a 32 grain Sierra Varminter, and I know he launched them at throat-melting speed. OTOH, I was shooting a .223 Rem with 40 grain VMaxes at 3700-3800 fps, which was noticably slower than his stock .204, and way slower than the custom .20 cal he had built.

But at the end of the day over the dogtowns, he considered a 500 yard hit an accomplishment while I was routinely center-punching them at 600 and beyond. And I can tell you from plenty of BR matches against him it wasn't because I was the better shot. In fact, deep down, I think he was a better shot than me. It was simply a ballistic difference, though I can't tell you why.

If the wind was really tough, I'd break out the 6mm Rem with 75 grain VMaxes at 3800 fps and easily double his range.

Maybe the solution is heavy and fast. But, in the real world.....that comes at a price.

Mike

Scooter settled on the 39gr Blitzking for his pet 204 load.  Pushed by an off the reservation dose of RL 10.  Rem 7.5 BR primers must be used, as they're the only ones that dont pierce.  Mine run 3800+, his were faster.
    Weatherby said:
    Diver43 said:
    Diver43 said:
    I think he's making room in that safe of his.
    Poor guy
    Well, the decision is being made for either a new safe or a second one.  Either way can not have empty space
  • LinefinderLinefinder Posts: 7,836 Senior Member
    jbohio said:
    @Diver43 An observation on light and fast verses a bit bigger and heavier.....

I forget exactly what Scooter shot in his .204 (I know that's not .17 cal, but it's the closest I have any experience with), but I think it was a 32 grain Sierra Varminter, and I know he launched them at throat-melting speed. OTOH, I was shooting a .223 Rem with 40 grain VMaxes at 3700-3800 fps, which was noticably slower than his stock .204, and way slower than the custom .20 cal he had built.

But at the end of the day over the dogtowns, he considered a 500 yard hit an accomplishment while I was routinely center-punching them at 600 and beyond. And I can tell you from plenty of BR matches against him it wasn't because I was the better shot. In fact, deep down, I think he was a better shot than me. It was simply a ballistic difference, though I can't tell you why.

If the wind was really tough, I'd break out the 6mm Rem with 75 grain VMaxes at 3800 fps and easily double his range.

Maybe the solution is heavy and fast. But, in the real world.....that comes at a price.

Mike

Scooter settled on the 39gr Blitzking for his pet 204 load.  Pushed by an off the reservation dose of RL 10.  Rem 7.5 BR primers must be used, as they're the only ones that dont pierce.  Mine run 3800+, his were faster.
    In that case, he should have been out-shooting me by a decent margin. OTOH, when I took him out for his 1st pdog shoot, I was already an old hand at it. That can make a big difference.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull