Home Main Category General Firearms

The 9mm

rbsivleyrbsivley Senior MemberThe Heart of DixiePosts: 1,259 Senior Member
I was reading a gun rag today and the ads are flooded with 9mm handguns. I've never owned one and wouldn't consider one if I was in the market for a handgun but I guess they're popular.
Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,821 Senior Member
    Consider it somewhat between a .38 Spl and .357 Mag though closer (and a bit better ballistically) to the the .38 Spl.

Projectile choices, however, leave the competitors in the dirt. The 9mm  has many more. 

A .44 Mag is always a great choice, unless you don't care to stuff a 3 lb handgun down your pants.

I'm thinking I'm okay with a 9.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    In the past, poor bullet choices and factory loadings of insufficient velocity caused some unreliable performance. Or so Ive read. Today's modern bullets and loadings seem to have given the little cartridge the perfect balance of size and performance with many LE agencies opting for it more so than other choices. Ammunition price is also a big plus.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    I've kinda notice things seem to happen in cycles. I remember when Beretta was fighting for a military contract and the 9mm was the answer to everyone's prayer but then it fell out of favor in the civilian market so the .40 stepped up to filled the void and became the new great caliber but it to had trouble getting a foothold and then the .357 Sig popped up but didn't really catch on. The 400 Corbon poked it head up briefly but fell flat. The .38 Super tried to make a comeback beyond just competition circles, no dice. The .45 regained some popularity when all the talk about the military searching for a new Pistol/Cartridge combo but the military decided on the 9mm.
    Now we seem to be back again. I don't blame those in marketing, they're doing their jobs. Sell, sell, sell.
    I just take those adds with a grain of salt.
    B)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #5

Or so Ive read.
    And THIS.......my friends..........is a key reason for resurgent popularity. 

(and cheap bean counters)

I am about to forcibly become well acquainted with the 9mm. 

Ain’t by choice. But, I promise you, whatever opinion I form will NOT be from something I’ve read. 

:popcorn:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #6
    But, after years and years with the “snappy” .40cal.............I’m gonna be a ROCK STAR on the range with a 9!!!

😁

:ajoke:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    I've got a couple of 1911s just because.  They're good pistols for combat, no so good for everyday carry; for me, they're range guns, too heavy for me to lug around and fairly difficult to conceal.  So a 9mm is the most powerful SD round I carry. Since I'm 74 years old and have never had occasion to defend my life with a handgun and almost certainly never will, I will carry what pleases me most without regard to one-shot stopping power.  You might say I carry for fun.  I now carry either the 9mm Sig 365, a PPK .380, or a PPK .32 ACP.  If I were in a urban combat zone, I'd up the ante a bit, maybe, but maybe not. 
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Texas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
    How many of them were for compact and/or subcompact pistols?  

Thanks to modern concealed handgun laws, people are avoiding big guns like the Beretta 92 and buying a ton of guns that can be easily concealed.  With small guns forcing capacity/size constraints, the 9mm is a good choice.
    Zee said:

Or so Ive read.
    And THIS.......my friends..........is a key reason for resurgent popularity. 

(and cheap bean counters)

I am about to forcibly become well acquainted with the 9mm. 

Ain’t by choice. But, I promise you, whatever opinion I form will NOT be from something I’ve read. 

:popcorn:
    Well....
    If I ever actually shot a 9mm I don't remember it. So...... I read about instead.😋
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    I've seen 9mm do the job and not do the job--at least not always in a timely manner.  And I've seen the same dichotomy from 40, and 45.  Seen it with 223/5.56, too; and that one by my own doing.

If the interwebs could somehow market inexpensive shot placement we'd have a good bit more room temperature bad guys.  But shot placement is a skill and that takes ammo and range time and that takes money AND time.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

I had a Ruger P97DC chambered in .45 ACP (is there any other chambering?  Probably not.).

I liked it.  It gave me flawless performance, I could shoot it well, but it was way too heavy for concealed carry.

So, I traded it on a Kahr 9mm CPW 9mm.  The Kahr is ok, but I don't shoot it that well.  It's a whole lot more convenient for carry, though.  I figure a 9 tucked away inside my waist band provides a whole lot more protection than a 45 left at home.

In other words, it all boils down to intended use.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    But, after years and years with the “snappy” .40cal.............I’m gonna be a ROCK STAR on the range with a 9!!!

😁

Can we have some video?  I've seen what you can do with the snappy .40.  I'd like to see you running a 9mm like it's a .22  :D

I had a Ruger P97DC chambered in .45 ACP (is there any other chambering?  Probably not.).

I liked it.  It gave me flawless performance, I could shoot it well, but it was way too heavy for concealed carry.

So, I traded it on a Kahr 9mm CPW 9mm.  The Kahr is ok, but I don't shoot it that well.  It's a whole lot more convenient for carry, though.  I figure a 9 tucked away inside my waist band provides a whole lot more protection than a 45 left at home.

In other words, it all boils down to intended use.

I keep going back and forth on this.  I've been carrying a Kahr .40 AIWB for months now and it is a peach of a CC gun.  BUT I recently decided to start doing the same with my Kimber Ultra Raptor and I'll be dammed, no one has noticed I switched to a bigger gun and I shoot the Kimber 10X better than the tiny Kahr.  It's a little heavier and bigger but not enough to make me wish for the Kahr.  
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member The Heart of DixiePosts: 1,259 Senior Member
    I qualified on the Army combat pistol range with the 92. I'm still carrying a full size 1911 on a daily bases.
    Randy

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    rbsivley said:
    I qualified on the Army combat pistol range with the 92. I'm still carrying a full size 1911 on a daily bases.
    Isn't America Great?  We all get to make choices.

Carrying a full size 1911 in South Florida wearing t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops may be difficult though.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Here's some good news. Soldiers are liking the new M17 MHS by Sig.
    And some even better news.
    The primary service round for the MHS will be the new M1153 9mm special purpose cartridge, a 147-grain, jacketed hollow point for improved terminal performance.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/10/22/armys-new-service-pistol-getting-rave-reviews-range.html?ESRC=eb_191023.nl

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member OregonPosts: 1,526 Senior Member
    when i first got into guns, my 1st is a 22LR rifle.

Then my 2nd gun was a 44 mag revolver.

Back then i made a conscience choice to make a list of what i wanted long term and stuck with it.

no such thing as 40 Short and Wimpy, but there was the Bren 10, Miami Vice at that time, so the 10 was added to fill that void along with the 9.

Since i did my homework and figured out the 45ACP was a good round, but it was strictly a USA round, not many chances  of finding many guns outside of the USA made for the 45 back then.  

So i opted to add more calibers at that time including the 9, 10mm, 357 mag, 44 Mag, 45LC and some others just so i wouldnt get board with my collecting and collect.

If the 9 is making a resurgence, then its nothing new to me.  I still have alot of toys in various calibers to keep a smile on my face including the 22LR

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member The Heart of DixiePosts: 1,259 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    rbsivley said:
    Isn't America Great?  We all get to make choices.

Carrying a full size 1911 in South Florida wearing t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops may be difficult though.
    America is great and we all have choices.  
    Randy

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    I've seen deer die by .30-06 and .45-70.  I've seen Zee's vids of hog dispatches with handguns.  It seems to take them about the same amount of time to end up on the ground regardless of what you shoot them with, provided you shoot them about the same.

Consequence - as a long-time .45 guy, I now fall pretty firmly into the bigger ain't automatically better camp. 9mm with bullet that penetrates - ideally with some crush & tear action - will suit me fine.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    Yeah, I've go more 9s than 45s and carry them more often.  I've not got a killer instinct, and don't much care if a larger caliber handgun is a one-shot pistol. A .45 is a good pistol if you're willing to carry the weight, but a whole lot of bad people don't want to get shot with a .32.  My objective is not to kill anyone necessarily, but to stop the threat.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #21
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:

😁

Can we have some video?  I've seen what you can do with the snappy .40.  I'd like to see you running a 9mm like it's a .22  :

My 9mm pcc literally does shoot like a .22. When i shoot 100 grain 380 bullets out of it you would think it was a .22.  My times between the .22 and 9mm are almost identical.  1.6 seconds difference over a 39 string match.  Only difference is the weight.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK said:

My 9mm pcc literally does shoot like a .22. When i shoot 100 grain 380 bullets out of it you would think it was a .22.  My times between the .22 and 9mm are almost identical.  1.6 seconds difference over a 39 string match.  Only difference is the weight.
    That sounds like fun!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    The AWB had a big hand in the .40 gaining traction. If you can only have 10, they might as well be 10 bigger rounds.

When the AWB expired it swung the other way. You can get 2, 3, 4 more rounds with a 9mm
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Staggered column magazines have also slimmed down, improving carry and handling.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    BAMAAK said:

That sounds like fun!

It is, PCC has become a big thing in competition.  The "peak" times or time you have to shoot to become a Grand Master is the same for PCC and .22 rifles.  Rimfire still wins most speed steel matches but PCC is often in the top 3 or 4.  My daughter shoots pcc faster usually.

"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK said:
    GunNut said:
    BAMAAK said:

That sounds like fun!

It is, PCC has become a big thing in competition.  The "peak" times or time you have to shoot to become a Grand Master is the same for PCC and .22 rifles.  Rimfire still wins most speed steel matches but PCC is often in the top 3 or 4.  My daughter shoots pcc faster usually.

That’s awesome!