Home Main Category General Firearms

I have a 1942 all original Winchester M1 Carbine what is one like.this worth?

Answers

• jcarter1207jcarter1207 Posts: 28 New Member
    I have 2 of this particular model made around the same time. The serial numbers are not far apart. The other one has the reworked stamp. I also have the bayonet for one. Then, a army issue 1911 made in 1915. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,706 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #3
    Welcome!

Carbines aren't exactly my thing, but WWI and WWII U.S. hardware somewhat is.

I am pretty sure that an "all original" carbine from 1942 would NOT have a bayonet lug and NOT have the slider-type elevation adjustment on the rear sight - rather, it would be a two-aperture flip type.  So I think what you have was in good enough shape not to get a true "arsenal rebuild" but rather has probably been "arsenal-upgraded" to what became the later spec for the gun.

Not a value killer by any means.  If indeed it does otherwise have all '42 vintage parts from Winchester, that is a GOOD thing, but it won't get the collectors quite as itchy with their wallet hand as an unaltered early rifle.

Now 1911's ARE my thing, and originality of parts is pretty much the whole ball of wax when it comes to determining their value.  The WWI-era guns like yours very often have replacement barrels (corrosive primers in wet, northern France = BAD) and any number of swapped out government repair or civilian replacement parts.  Refinishes come in all styles and quality levels.

Suffice to say, when it comes to dealing in these things, buying the books and doing the homework on what they SHOULD look like is the best investment you can make.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,694 Senior Member
    Most people here don't have the ability to do an appraisal on such fine old firearms. The best would be find a professional appraiser of old military weapons, or go to an auction site like Gunbroker and see what similar guns are selling for. 

Nice old collector pieces you have there!! Both highly sought after and collectable!!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Nice 1942-made indeed. Adjustable rear sight (Instead of the original 2-position switch blade one) and barrel band with bayonet lug shows an arsenal rebuilding process during its lifetime. Must check for the stamps of other parts (bolt, trigger guard, slide, etc.) to see if it's a mix-master as many of these Carbines are or if it still has matching parts (Most are only receiver & barrel matching with parts from other makers and different periods).

Might be better to check places like www.gunboards.com or collectorsfirearms to get a better idea about potential price range from other M-1s like this.
    All of the pieces have the correct W on them or except the barrel band and front sight. The rear sight is correctly marked. Not sure If I stated but my Stepfather worked at the Anniston army Depot where all of these were stored. I'm sure he added the other pieces because it was what he preferred. He got them back in 1960. I have the documents where it was transferred over to him from the US Government. I've tried other post but getting where I can post has annoyed me to all end. I am not the most patient woman. I'll try over there again. Thanks for all the info! 
    Sorry, once u touch a pic it adds it and I can not figure out on my phone how to delete. It wouldn't let me add a comment once the pics were added. The markings all over the gun are Winchester. Except the 3 I stated before. 2 sights and sling holder. I could buy the original ones right now. Would it be worth it or just sell it as is? I'm not into guns nor do I want them. I have plenty of memories in other possessions. 
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    They did not start putting bayonet lugs on til the end of after the war.  As was said the rear sight is not original.  
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    I'm on gunbroker. The prices are all over the map. I'm the kind of woman who wants to know exactly what I have so I do not give my stuff away. I don't mind a good deal but to be ignorant is just not in my DNA. I may not know everything about guns, but that is why I am trying to learn. What forum site would be best to ask on? 
    Yes, I know I left out punctuation. I am shopping, so was rushing. 
    So would they have been put on at Anniston Army Depot after the war? That is where they came from in 1962
    edited October 2019 #13
    they were used in the Korean war also.  Probably some came back from countries we gave/let borrow.  Go to the CMP forum, lots of experts there.  Sometimes they can help trace the history as well.  Or contact the CMP store in Anniston, if there is a record of the s/n, they will have it.  They are great help to people like you.

Thanks BAMMAK
    I'm pretty sure the have a full time historian at the store.  Let us know what you find out.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/
    This place specializes in these types of firearms and has the customer base your looking for. They of course take a commission but you will likely still net more than selling on your own.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #17
    I cannot believe that not a single person here suggested asking Garry James about this.
    [email protected]
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    jcarter1207

I finally got time to read all your posts. I cant help in your inquiries, but offer my condolences for the loss of your father. I hope you're able to keep some of his things for keepsakes.
    Thanksfully, I have the pieces that have meaning to me. The guns were not one of them. They were actually my grandfathers. My Stepfather got him in so he could buy at the Sale. It was not open to the public. My father passed years ago. I'm the only one left. A lot of only child generations. My 92 year old granny surpassed everyone until last April when she lost her will to live. Now I'm either blessed or cursed with all the possessions left behind. 
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Hard to determine exact potential value unless someone with real apprisal knowledge about these particular guns evaluates it.

Hard-core collectors (Who are those willing to pay top price) will value more original M-1 Carbines, that means as-issued in WWII with no rebuilds or non-correct period parts (or other makers) replacements. On top of that some brands will fetch more money than others (Like I.B.M., Rock-Ola and maybe Winchester in 3rld. place).

Second in value will come those with replacement parts that can be easily swapped for the correct ones; then maybe rebuilts with some documented history linking them to a relevant event or person.

From then downwards we're talking PROBABLY below or close to 4 figures and that includes what some call "Shooters" with historical relevance but part of the hundreds of thousands (or millions actually) rebuilt in the field and/or by military  depots. Seem to me that this gun falls into this category although as a very nice one instead of the usual still serviceable beater with so-so finish, loose tolerances and a mix of parts.

M1A1s, M-2s and M-3 Carbines are a whole different game, usually commanding the highest prices.

Here are some links that might give you an idea:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/winchester-m1-carbine-30-w9964/

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/search.php?search_query=%22m1+carbine%22

Thanks! I'm trying my best to learn about these, but being so ignorant when it comes to guns has made it challenging. It is a lot of variables and you truly need to know what you are looking at. Something my father or grandfather would know. I think my hubby has talked me into finding a local buyer and just selling everything as a bundle, including the antique cabinet they are in. I listed some of the other ones on guns America or something. Was gonna put it on there and whatever it sold for is what it sold for. Idk, I'm just overwhelmed with everything and this just added to it. I have put these off for months because I did not want to deal with it, but now we are almost finished with the house. We have no use for them and we are both hot tempered lol, but for real. He doesn't hunt and we have been forced into hording type situation. We may do a estate sell once I finish renovation the house to sell. That way we can move everything we are not sentimental to quick. Thanks, for the links. I'll check them out. 
    The 2 M1s are from the first lot made in 1942. One has a rework stamp the other doesn't. The one that does not is 95 original. It looks like someone added the better sites and the piece that goes on the barrel. Other than that every piece has a W or Winchester markings. The 3 pieces would be less than 500 to replace and then it would be fully Winchester and one of the first 50k to be made. The other was made a few months later which part of the serial Number is in one of those pics. Would u know anything about a old Remington 1903A4 it is missing the scope and I can not find any that have sold without one. That is making it hard for me to know a good starting price. It is marked 03A3 but the serial # plus the gun itself and paperwork say it is a A4 before they changed the stamp. 
    Then a 1915 Colt 1911 in Mint condition. Doesn't look to have ever been issued. 
    Or maybe it is 1923. I can't remember. Let me find the pic and look up the serial again. I get confused with all these years and models lol 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,291 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #25
    Use caution..beware the appraiser who offers to buy your collection...the best bet is finding an appraiser who has no interest in buying your firearms. There are lots of folks who will low ball the value of your firearms because they intend to sell them for their true value
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"