Home Main Category General Firearms

1943 S&C 03A3 with all SC stamping and no rework stamp. What is the Value?

jcarter1207jcarter1207 Posts: 28 New Member
I've inherited a lot of guns to say the least. My Stepfather was the head of Anniston Army Depot back in the day. Unfortunately, the same gun can be so differently priced it's crazy. This gun seems to have all the correct markings and no remake stamps. I have 3 that do possess these stamps. I have attached a lot of pics so someone who knows what they are looking at can tell me what it is worth and any additional info. Thanks in advance! 

Answers

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    The prices online fluctuate wildly depending on a number of factors including history, uniqueness, condition and how badly the sellers want to sell. The last category adds a lot of the variation.
    My guess based on want I can see and assuming the barrel and chamber are in fine condition is somewhere between $900-1300 dollars. But I can't see every detail so I'm guessing.
    American Rifleman did a nice write-up on the Smith Corona 03A3 awhile back, it's worth a read.

You can also get an idea of what it's selling point might be by browsing what others are going for.

Or for a fee you can have it expertly appraised.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• janesih1988janesih1988 Posts: 1 New Member
    I searched on internet for the value of it... and it's from 1000$ to 1200$

http://bit.ly/2W9ForT

• rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member The Heart of DixiePosts: 1,259 Senior Member
    I would say your guns are worth whatever you can find somebody to pay. I'd suggest price them with a swag and see what happens. 
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
  • jcarter1207jcarter1207 Posts: 28 New Member
    Thanks guys! From what I can tell all the stamps on the gun are correctly marked with sc or s. Yes, there is such a big fluctuation in pricing. It looks mint which is amazing for being close to 100 yrs old. My grandfather was able to purchase these during a close sell at the Depot since my Stepfather was the head man out there (Frank Bosworth). I wish I could find a scope to go with the Remington 03A4 I have. It was sold minus the scope. That is what the paperwork says too. In the end anything over the price he paid is a win which was basically free. I'm not sure if it was because it was 1962 or because of who he knew. The handling fee was almost as much as he paid for the actual guns. I guess it is why he bought so many. Unfortunately, now I have 20+ guns that I need to learn about and find them the best home. I would rather find someone who will want to preserve or cherish. Not someone who just wants to break it down for the parts. Thanks everyone for all the info. I think I now know what they are. It was what I assumed. I had just hoped a couple were all original. I bought a book to help me learn more before I place them for sale. 
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 326 Member
    I shot my first deer with one of those 45 years ago
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    20+ guns like this one is like Christmas in October at my house, if you have a bunch like that, I would get them appraised as a group just for the insurance purposes until you sell or keep them, some might be worth keeping if the appreciation is significant in the opinion of the appraiser. Good luck hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    If it has no rework stamps that means it's probably never been reworked and is in original condition. That would also probably mean it may not have ever been issued. That's possible. They made a ton of them and they weren't front line weapons in WWII much past Guadalcanal. I definitely would have a professional look at it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jcarter1207jcarter1207 Posts: 28 New Member
    The paperwork/ receipt dating it being purchased in 1962 by my granddad. I have them for all 5 guns. Although, I've sold 2. The 1911 and one of the Winchester M1
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #10
    snake284 said:
    If it has no rework stamps that means it's probably never been reworked and is in original condition. That would also probably mean it may not have ever been issued. That's possible. They made a ton of them and they weren't front line weapons in WWII much past Guadalcanal. I definitely would have a professional look at it.
    That S&C nor any 03a3s were used at Guadalcanal I believe...they didn't start making them until later in 1942.  I would say the rifle posted was not issued.  The date should be on top of the barrel just behind the front stock.  The 1903 was used at Guadalcanal.

I read somewhere that the A3s were made from 42 to 44. The one in the OP was made in 9/43.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.