Home Main Category Personal Defense

What would y'all do?

rbsivleyrbsivley Senior MemberPosts: 1,166 Senior Member
We're attending a church social tomorrow night at a church members house. We've met them at church but we don't know them. I don't know their 2nd amendment stance. Should I carry in their home?
Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God 9 not by works, lest any man should boast.
Ephesians 2:8-9

Replies

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    I always did.  It’s called concealed carry.  
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Unless they specifically asked that nobody comes armed on their premises, I would assume that they are welcoming you as you are.

If they don't allow guns, that is your call to show up unarmed, or not at all. Otherwise, I see no issue.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,031 Senior Member
    I don’t go places without a gun. 

They don’t have to know. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    Carry concealed. Be discreet. No one has to know.
    Some time during the gathering find out how he feels about all the recent shootings. Ask for his opinions and thoughts on the matter. It won't take long before you know his position. If he seems like the kinda guy that might carry concealed then steer the conversation in that direction.
    If he's adamant against, you'll have to decide whether or not to attend future gathering at that location unarmed or to simply not go.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Carry concealed. Be discreet. No one has to know.
    Some time during the gathering find out how he feels about all the recent shootings. Ask for his opinions and thoughts on the matter. It won't take long before you know his position. If he seems like the kinda guy that might carry concealed then steer the conversation in that direction.
    If he's adamant against, you'll have to decide whether or not to attend future gathering at that location unarmed or to simply not go.
    Well said, and I agree 100%
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    If it came down to push/shove, I'd honor the property owner's wishes.  To do otherwise would be an insult.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    His house...his rules...find out and either attend or don't...pretty simple really...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,817 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #9
    I carry everywhere.  As long as there is no sign on their premise saying no concealed carry as per our state law I’m good to go.  Not really interested in his stance on the subject unless it turns out he’s got a great gun collection.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    Concealed means concealed. I'd do it without a moment's hesitation.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Depends.  Carrying is not a religion with me.  If I expected bad guys at a church social, yes.  However unlikely.  If I was invited to one, I wouldn't expect any kind of violence to occur, unless you go to a weird church.  I go to many locations not armed, and some places armed, and I feel the decision to carry (concealed) is personal.  On the other hand, carrying open carry is a whole different issue.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 330 Member
    edited April 3 #13

Old thread, I know.  Just a recommendation from some dumb old mook who is a newbie on this forum, but I would advise against making any social media comments indicating that if you carry a weapon, you only do so 'sometimes' or that you do not carry when you are not 'expecting' trouble. 

I am not saying that 'sometimes' carry is wrong, it is an individual choice.  I just would not advise advertising it in print, electronic or otherwise, even if you did so thinking you are being perfectly anonymous. 

My point is that should you find yourself in a self-defense situation while armed and, as a result, end up as a defendant in a criminal or civil proceeding it can potentially be turned against you in an unpleasant way - you "do not carry when you are not 'expecting' the potential for trouble" can easily be morphed into 'you were looking for trouble' and that is why you were armed in a specific instance.

Some people never carry, some people always carry and some people sometimes carry.  No 'wrong' decision either way, although any of these decisions could result in regret at some point in time.

If the 'sometimes' choice is made, I would suggest that it be kept personal and not thrown out there for the world to see.

Posting on social media can be very entertaining, but it can also be very damaging if shared too freely.

Be safe out there

My $0.02

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,675 Senior Member
    Although I don't consider discussion boards like this one to be "social media", Mook is right. There are certain things best not discussed on the Internet, regardless of what you call it.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    edited April 3 #15
    So I get a call from my daughter that she was assaulted in the course of doing her job..managed to fight her way clear.....after ascertaining that she was OK, the next question I asked was "is he dead"...she said "I didn't have it...I didn't think I'd need it"...

Before I turned her loose in the world, I made sure she was well armed and well trained...BUT..that single unthinking moment could well have cost her her life...

Turns out, the guy was on parole, for murder (of all things)...seems he killed his last girl friend and set her on fire and the powers that be found him a job where he could could interact with the public and his inclinations got the best of him...the investigation revealed that since his parole for "good behavior" he had a string of assaults and rapes to his credit....

That "sometimes" thing doesn't work in my world...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

That "sometimes" thing doesn't work in my world...

That's why even in my own home I am normally well enough armed to make GunNut feel "nekked"  :D  (see the "So what are you carrying right now?" thread).  I don't expect trouble, but how many people are expecting trouble when it finds them?  Most are not.  This is a philosophy that I am still trying to pound into my wife's and daughter's brains.  I am making some progress, my wife now normally carries anytime she leaves the house (unless she is headed to work, she is a 1st grade teacher) but will take it off as soon as she gets home.  My daughter pretty much only carries when she walks the dog.  I know people like to think they are safe in their own homes, but home invasions happen.  There was one not too far from my house a couple of nights ago.  Don't know details other than the homeowner shot the intruder.  It barely made the news ticker across the bottom of the screen because it was not coronavirus related.

If you end up in a criminal prosecution on trial, you're already been indicted by a Grand Jury who found probable cause so you've got a lot of problems other than posts on the web. 

A lot of fear about liability in a civil trial is IMO unjustified.  I'd like to know of examples to justify this widely-held fear.  And second, I'd like to see examples of any attorney who pores through posts on the net unless the litigant is the head of a major corporation worth millions. Could it happen?  Yes, anything CAN happen, but not likely TO happen.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,817 Senior Member
    I don't post anything that I don't think I could easily explain away to anyone in Law Enforcement or in a Judicial setting but I do agree we live in strange times so sometimes it's easier to just shut up.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,477 Senior Member
    Always carry. Concealed carry is just that. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member

I am making some progress, my wife now normally carries anytime she leaves the house (unless she is headed to work, she is a 1st grade teacher) but will take it off as soon as she gets home. 

Thanks to several instances lately of the Sheriff's helicopter circling around the neighborhood I am making more progress in this department.  My wife now straps on her Kimber when she gets dressed in the morning even if she is not planning to go anywhere.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    rbsivley said:
    We're attending a church social tomorrow night at a church members house. We've met them at church but we don't know them. I don't know their 2nd amendment stance. Should I carry in their home?

I would ask.

When I was going to visit my mother several years ago she told me not to bring firearms because she was living on church property. I told her that we would get a hotel room down the street and visit from there and that I was not driving that far from home and not carrying a firearm. While there I spoke to some relatives that live have a house there who said they are armed.

I was going to meet some people and do some shooting and a guy was coming to ride with me and he asked if I minded if he was armed. I told him I expected him to be armed as we were going to shoot.

If it is a business then I don't ask. A church I would ask.
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 421 Member
    Unless they specifically say no guns at the home, I would. Worst case scenario you can always secure the weapon in your car.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Don't advertise CC...that's why they call it CC.  If your worried that exposure could occur maybe reevaluate how you carry.  I go visiting and its never been an area of discussion and no one has ever complained.