Home Main Category Hunting

Game cameras with cell service

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberCentral MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
Who is using game cameras/trail cameras that have cell service incorporated into them and what do you like/dislike about the ones you have used?
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I think SixGun has a few.  Hope he sees this.  Bump
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    edited October 2019 #3
    Yes, I do have 5 Spypoint cellular game cams on my place to supplement a few more traditional game cams.  They are extremely useful for giving you a sense of what (or who) is moving on your hunting grounds without having to constantly travel long distances or disturb the location to check activity.  They also give you a leg up on security, especially if you set them up high or in other hard to reach places. 

My Spypoint cams consist of 2 different series.  Link-Dark series cameras that feature invisible flashes, photo and video modes (only photos thumbnails are set cellularly, with the option get hi-res pics on demand), and a very full feature set.  The tradeoff is that they are pretty pricey.  

The other 3 are the much cheaper Link-Micro cams that are photo-only with less settings and lower-res thumbnails as the only cellular transmission option.  That said, the thumbnails they send work just fine to show me activity, and excellent quality pics are stored on the card for periodic download.

All cams are Verizon versions, as they have the best network strength in my area.  They have lithium batteries in them during the season since  work reliably down to -20 degrees F.  While all of them are pretty good at not triggering on junk movements, DEFINITELY use your first free month of premium service to fid out if close-by twigs or a wobbly tree that sways in the wind will cause a glut of worthless pics to transfer, as these will waste valuable transmission and sap your batteries.

Spypoint definitely had some growing pains when they brought these cams out, but virtually all of the cell cam manufacturers have, as well.  The good news is that firmware updates have helped things a lot, and I have had no real problems recently that weren’t solved with a fresh set of batteries.  You get 100 free transfers per month on their free cell plan, and I pay $4/month equivalent (prepaid annually) to get 250 transfers for one of the cams in a more active area.  Overall, I’m pretty happy.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Yes, I do have 5 Spypoint cellular game cams on my place to supplement a few more traditional game cams.  They are extremely useful for giving you a sense of what (or who) is moving on your hunting grounds without having to constantly travel long distances or disturb the location to check activity.  They also give you a leg up on security, especially if you set them up high or in other hard to reach places. 

My Spypoint cams consist of 2 different series.  Link-Dark series cameras that feature invisible flashes, photo and video modes (only photos thumbnails are set cellularly, with the option get hi-res pics on demand), and a very full feature set.  The tradeoff is that they are pretty pricey.  

The other 3 are the much cheaper Link-Micro cams that are photo-only with less settings and lower-res thumbnails as the only cellular transmission option.  That said, the thumbnails they send work just fine to show me activity, and excellent quality pics are stored on the card for periodic download.

All cams are Verizon versions, as they have the best network strength in my area.  They have lithium batteries in them during the season since  work reliably down to -20 degrees F.  While all of them are pretty good at not triggering on junk movements, DEFINITELY use your first free month of premium service to fid out if close-by twigs or a wobbly tree that sways in the wind will cause a glut of worthless pics to transfer, as these will waste valuable transmission and sap your batteries.

Spypoint definitely had some growing pains when they brought these cams out, but virtually all of the cell cam manufacturers have, as well.  The good news is that firmware updates have helped things a lot, and I have had no real problems recently that weren’t solved with a fresh set of batteries.  You get 100 free transfers per month on their free cell plan, and I pay $4/month equivalent (prepaid annually) to get 250 transfers for one of the cams in a more active area.  Overall, I’m pretty happy.
    Very nice, thank you.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11