Home Main Category Hunting

Anyone have experience with this ammo?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 20,850 Senior Member
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301310307/cci-quik-shok-ammunition-22-long-rifle-subsonic-40-grain-plated-lead-hollow-point

CCI Quik-Shok subsonic 22LR.

I'm a big fan of the regular CCI Subsonic HPs
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301163351/cci-ammunition-22-long-rifle-subsonic-40-grain-lead-hollow-point
but am looking for a quicker kill on possum sized critters.

Anyone tried it?
Good? Bad? Inaccurate?
Other comments about it?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Paul,

I don't think you are going to get a lot of variation in a 40 gr bullet at 990 FPS. Only soft lead will expand at that speed, and significant fragmentation is going to disperse the energy too quickly for larger sized critters. I would think head shots would be the way to go, and you are the resident .22 rimfire accuracy benchmark.

FWIW my opinion is it is too small a piece of lead at too slow a speed to make a lot of difference.

Maybe the 60 gr Aguila SSS subsonics might deliver more energy?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    My expierence is that possum sized critters are hard to kill with a .22 lr unless you shoot them in the brain stem, then any .22lr is good. Even a CB short.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »

Maybe the 60 gr Aguila SSS subsonics might deliver more energy?

D
    They may deliver more energy, but a LOT less accuracy, since they're tumbling when fired from my CZ.

The "regular" CCI SSHPs expand nicely to ~.35" or so. Still not getting the "DRT" results I'm wanting, even with head shots. I'm hoping multiple wound paths through the brain tissue will stop them quicker
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• backwaterbobbackwaterbob Member Posts: 102 Member
    Knitepoet, i have used both. the segmented rounds work great on Squrriels, breaking up into 4 peices. 3 segments and a base. The 60 Aguila keyholes from my ruger 77/22 at 25 yards. bought a whole brick and have most of them left. just my .02 cents..
    bwb
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Winchester 40grain subsonic hollowpoints are very accurate and expand well for me in smaller critters.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,297 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I doubt they would make much difference. Possums are tough bastards to kill. I have literally put multiple .22 caliber pellets in ones head, and it was still hissing at me.

:roll2: After a possum crawled up 12 stairs & got a couple of feet away from my friend & I, he shot it square in the back (muzzle was 6" away) with a .22. It pulled itself to the cat food bowl & started eating.

I don't know if bullet construction was an issue but them things ain't right.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    Possums are tough to kill.
    Reread my first post, I bolded the important part
    knitepoet wrote: »
    but am looking for a quicker kill on possum sized critters.
    Possums are hard to stop because they're North America's only marsupial and have a very primitive nervous system

I doubt they would make much difference. Possums are tough bastards to kill. I have literally put multiple .22 caliber pellets in ones head, and it was still hissing at me.
    That was pretty much my point from before, the brain is very small in a relativity large head. Gotta hit the sweet spot just like a gator.
    Sorta what I was getting at, the brain is very small in a head much bigger; gotta hit the sweet spot like in gator hunting.