Home Main Category General Firearms

Range Report .450 Bushmaster AR

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberTexas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,629 Senior Member
Since I had an unexpected day off, I hit the range today.  In addition to getting in some practice with my Ruger Mark IV, I took the AR out to shake out with its new scope.

Good:
1) The little 2-7 Vortex I stole from another rifle fits nice and provides the right amount of magnification.  I was able to easily adjust it to bring shots directly where I was aiming.

2) Accuracy- better than I expected.  Definitely MOHog.

3)  New Stock:  replacing the cheap adjustable stock with a fixed Magpul stock, the recoil went from harsh to no problem at all,

@.  While it would load the first round fine, the failure rate on the 2nd round was atrocious.  I will need to fix it or replace it.

Replies

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Texas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,629 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Was the second round hitting low on the receiver/barrel extension?
    If so, a minor tweak to the feed lips should take care of it. Open them up slightly at the front and it will present the second round at a better angle to the chamber. At least it does with my 50 Beowulf
    I think they were tipping up.  It was supposed to have the necessary anti-tip follower, but I am going to have to investigate further.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Texas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,629 Senior Member
    I took her out for a trip to West Texas in two weeks.  Dropped a spare Sig 3-9 scope in and sighted it in.

1) In the same price range, I like my Leupold VX-Freedom better than the Sig.  Having said that, the Sig didn’t suck,

2) She sighted in like a dream with more reliable feeding from the Ruger magazine I bought of the Ruger website.

My last three shots.  I am pretty sure that the outlier was my fault.

The only downside.

ii was having so much fun that I shot more ammo than I planned.  Gotta buy another box for my trip.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Refresh my memory: which Ruger rifle is this?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    edited January 2020 #5
    duplicate 
    Six-Gun said:
    Refresh my memory: which Ruger rifle is this?
    I built it myself.  Originally, I bought a Bushmaster brand mag which failed to load the rounds correctly. 

Switching to the brand Ruger sells with its upper fixed the problem.
    Ah, makes good sense.  Seems that mags and manufacturer, or tweaking thereof, are serious factor in the reliability of this round.