Home Main Category General Firearms

Because there is no such thing as too many 1911s

2»

Replies

  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Jayhawker said:
    There are any those that claim we are clinging to outdated technology...
    Guess I need to bury my tactical folding knives and fixed blades as they're no longer capable of doing damage.
    That's what outdated means to me.
    😁
    Yep, time to move on... 😁
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,754 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #33
    I got into them because of the gun magazines and Jeff Cooper.  Suddenly, the 1911 became the gun to have.  There was so much BS spent around them, and hey, they could knock over a bowling ball.  Courses of fire, and tactical and impractical courses were designed around them for wannabee Operators.  I  bought one as a cop, tricked it out, and found I couldn't shoot any better with it than any other handgun.  I  fell into the trap of advertising. And later felt like a sucker born every  minute.  Oh,  carried it for a while. I kinda wish I never had never bought one, took a bath on resale.  In my pathetic defense, I'll say that was back when the 1911 was the only reliable (semi-reliable) large auto available, so long as it was a Colt  And was superior in knocking over bowling balls.
    And the culture that grew around the Tactical Crowd lost me after a while. To disagree that a 1911 was the best handgun ever, could get you into a stink-eye, at least.
    The 1911 is a great pistol, and perhaps everyone should have one.  But spending $2000-$4000 on a custom built 1911 you'll almost surely never use to protect your life with is several bridges too far.  I know there's such a thing as pride of ownership, and respect this.   I like to dress up my guns, and if that gives you pleasure, go for it. I do.
    My personal tastes in handguns has fairly recently changed and certainly are not intended to change yours.  I'm kinda down on large frame autos at this time.  They're heavy to me (recently due to a bad back), they're difficult but not impossible to conceal, and I'm no longer a fan of belt pistols. 


    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,774 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Diver43 said:
    I only have two, to, too, tutu, 2
    Both Commander size one in  45 the other 9mm
    I need a 9mm and a .40.
    Dont forget about the .40 S&W Long.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    GunNut said:
    Diver43 said:
    I only have two, to, too, tutu, 2
    Both Commander size one in  45 the other 9mm
    I need a 9mm and a .40.
    Dont forget about the .40 S&W Long.
    Got that covered 😁
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,069 Senior Member
    If I was to ever purchase another 1911 platform, it would likely be a 10mm. 

    But, I don’t really need/want one that bad. So, I’m probably done getting 1911s. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I like them because of the shape, the steel, internals being surrounded by steel, the history etc.. A small revolver carries and deployes easier for me. A glock or similar would negate the need to snick off the safety.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,774 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #38
    Zee said:
    If I was to ever purchase another 1911 platform, it would likely be a 10mm. 

    But, I don’t really need/want one that bad. So, I’m probably done getting 1911s. 
    They are fun at the range.  My RZ10 does get attention when I let loose with some close to proper 10mm loads.  People always want to try it out.  I could have the G40, Ruger SRH, and RZ10 out at the same time and the one that will get the attention is the RZ10.  I guess thats a drawback of it???


    GunNut said:
    mitdr774 said:
    GunNut said:
    Diver43 said:
    I only have two, to, too, tutu, 2
    Both Commander size one in  45 the other 9mm
    I need a 9mm and a .40.
    Dont forget about the .40 S&W Long.
    Got that covered 😁
    It just seems to work so well doesnt it?
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    I got into them because of the gun magazines and Jeff Cooper.  Suddenly, the 1911 became the gun to have.  There was so much BS spent around them, and hey, they could knock over a bowling ball.  Courses of fire, and tactical and impractical courses were designed around them for wannabee Operators.  I  bought one as a cop, tricked it out, and found I couldn't shoot any better with it than any other handgun.  I  fell into the trap of advertising. And later felt like a sucker born every  minute.  Oh,  carried it for a while. I kinda wish I never had never bought one, took a bath on resale.  In my pathetic defense, I'll say that was back when the 1911 was the only reliable (semi-reliable) large auto available, so long as it was a Colt  And was superior in knocking over bowling balls.
    And the culture that grew around the Tactical Crowd lost me after a while. To disagree that a 1911 was the best handgun ever, could get you into a stink-eye, at least.
    The 1911 is a great pistol, and perhaps everyone should have one.  But spending $2000-$4000 on a custom built 1911 you'll almost surely never use to protect your life with is several bridges too far.  I know there's such a thing as pride of ownership, and respect this.   I like to dress up my guns, and if that gives you pleasure, go for it. I do.
    My personal tastes in handguns has fairly recently changed and certainly are not intended to change yours.  I'm kinda down on large frame autos at this time.  They're heavy to me (recently due to a bad back), they're difficult but not impossible to conceal, and I'm no longer a fan of belt pistols. 


    The gentleman that got me hooked on 1911s was the guy in charge of a nearby big city SWAT team before he retired.  He was my first mentor and really took me under his wing when I was just a young shooter looking to take care off and protect my recently started family.   

    When he was put in charge of building the SWAT team the first thing he did was dump the issue Model 10s in favor or Colt 1911s because he operated in a city with BAD drug/crime issues so he knew his guys were ABSOLUTELY going to be involved in gun fights.  He must have done right because he never lost anyone in his team.

    Anyway, I’ve had a lot of guns in my life, more pistols than I ever care to even recount and yet every time a 1911 finds its way to my hand it feels right at home.  If I close my eyes and point a 1911 in my hand at something, I KNOW when I open my eyes the front sight will be right there in front of me and covering my target.

    Anyway, these guns have been good to me and since I’m still able to pack a full sized gun every once in a while (all day out today as a matter of fact) I’ll keep packing them until other options become more attractive to me.  But since the smallest one I have weighs but 25 oz, I think they’ll be my gun of choice for a long time.  
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    If I was to ever purchase another 1911 platform, it would likely be a 10mm. 

    But, I don’t really need/want one that bad. So, I’m probably done getting 1911s. 
    You kind of already have the ultimate 1911s and impossible to replace too!

    I can tell you a nice 10mm 1911 is absolutely a joy to shoot and a pretty versatile gun.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I like them because of the shape, the steel, internals being surrounded by steel, the history etc.. A small revolver carries and deployes easier for me. A glock or similar would negate the need to snick off the safety.
    I’ve shot 1911s for so long and so much I don’t even know when that safety goes off or on anymore.  It’s basically an integral part of the trigger pull or holstering as far as I’m concerned. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    Zee said:
    If I was to ever purchase another 1911 platform, it would likely be a 10mm. 

    But, I don’t really need/want one that bad. So, I’m probably done getting 1911s. 
    They are fun at the range.  My RZ10 does get attention when I let loose with some close to proper 10mm loads.  People always want to try it out.  I could have the G40, Ruger SRH, and RZ10 out at the same time and the one that will get the attention is the RZ10.  I guess thats a drawback of it???


    GunNut said:
    mitdr774 said:
    GunNut said:
    Diver43 said:
    I only have two, to, too, tutu, 2
    Both Commander size one in  45 the other 9mm
    I need a 9mm and a .40.
    Dont forget about the .40 S&W Long.
    Got that covered 😁
    It just seems to work so well doesnt it?
    Yes it does!  10 rounds of 155gr HPs in a slim single column mag package (my DW Razorback) are rather comforting for SD and shoot easier than my .45s!!!  And I still have the option of moving up to 180gr hammer of Thor loads with a simple mag change.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,754 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #43
    And they're fine guns....but Jim Cirillo wasted 11 (some say more)  violent robbers in NYC on a stake-out squad.  With a Model 10 S&W and maybe a shotgun.

    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #44
    He sure did.  Everyone rides the horse they feel the most connected to, or in his case the one his range boss says they have to ride.

    That being said I don’t know anyone that KNOWING there’s a fight coming, and having an wide open inventory of handgun options would willingly choose a model 10.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,754 Senior Member
    I suppose he did it with a Model 10 because that's what he was only allowed to do.  But apparently, he loved it a lot.  I would too, after that proven capability.  I carried a SS equivalent of the Model 10 (63?) for years, always expecting a fight.  But I had to.  Back in the day, given the choice, I'd go for a Model 28 and shoot magnums.  Those were the revolver days....NO ONE I knew carried an auto, because so few were available.  Then they started making reliable semis and the departments reluctantly went to them.  Thanks, Gaston Glock.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement