Home Main Category Hunting

Buffalo hunting with a spear

ken55ken55 Senior MemberPosts: 782 Senior Member
Not sure this is a very good example of how it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKI1xmtf5Ck

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    I have 3 words for that. All of them are stupid.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,297 Senior Member
    Is he related to the guy that shot himself in the leg at the range?

(ETA, I just couldn't help but root for the buffalo.)
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,635 Senior Member
    Even the neanderthals knew you need the animal broadside.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,759 Senior Member
    Initially I thought you were talking about a Bison...you know, way back when Mexican Lancers used to hunt them with lances on horseback...

However, back to the video: Water Buffalo can be pretty cranky critters and it took either a HUUUGGGEEE set of balls and full load of stupid to try to pull that off....
    Looked like Mr. Buffalo was intent on getting a piece of this guy before the handgun came into play...that could have made for some entertaining video as well...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Initially I thought you were talking about a Bison...you know, way back when Mexican Lancers used to hunt them with lances on horseback...

However, back to the video: Water Buffalo can be pretty cranky critters and it took either a HUUUGGGEEE set of balls and full load of stupid to try to pull that off....
    Looked like Mr. Buffalo was intent on getting a piece of this guy before the handgun came into play...that could have made for some entertaining video as well...

This looked like a "Hold my beer and watch this" episode. Man, that critter is fast!
  • Billy GunBilly Gun Member Posts: 51 Member
    I like how the buffalo caught the speer with it's horn. If that guy had't had a large revolver? Darwin award?
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    Stupid is as stupid does.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Lynn Thompson, owner of Cold Steel. I gotta say, the man believes in the quality of his products.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,824 Senior Member
    If you want my opinion it was a fore gone conclusion he was going to shoot the buff. Just look at the way he threw the spear, I doubt it would have penetrated the hide let alone reached any sort of vital organ. Just another bone head stunt.

Sako
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    Not something this white boy will be trying.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Billy Gun wrote: »
    I like how the buffalo caught the speer with it's horn. If that guy had't had a large revolver? Darwin award?

Darwin must have been on his lunch break ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    Ok...lets think about this for a minute

This
    D458LottBell.jpg

was invented because this

Proof458WinMag.jpg

Failed to stop this

p179821-Africa-Cape_Buffalo.jpg

which is actually smaller then this

water-buffalo.jpg

And these guys wanted to use......a pointy stick. Hmm
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Billy Gun wrote: »

He deserves a Darwin Award anyway. Hey, I mean they occasionally give the Congressional Medal of Honor to those who survive as well as those who die. It should be the same way for the Darwin Award. Just because the guy lucked out and dodged the bullet doesn't mean he's any less stupid for trying.

Now before i catch flak for referring to the Medal of Honor here, that's a whole nuther thang. Guys that win that award know the odds of survival and proceed regardless from sense of duty and are Heros. Guys that win the Darwin Award are clueless, stupid daredevils, that occasionally survive to continue to pollute the gene pool.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • backwaterbobbackwaterbob Member Posts: 102 Member
    :tooth: Ken55 looked to me like the speer stuck in the horn !!
    I have an old vhs tape of two guys sticking a bear from a tree stand. not quite the same but ...
    bwb
  • backwaterbobbackwaterbob Member Posts: 102 Member
    :tooth: Ken55 it looks to me like the soeer stuck in the buffalos horn..

I have an old vhs tape of 2 guys hunting bear in canada and using speers from a tree stand. they bith got one, but the bears didnt like it. lol
    bwb
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    Is it wrong that I was pulling for the buff a little??? :devil:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 473 Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I was pulling for the buff a little??? :devil:

I'm with you.

I'm surprised that he even put that video out there. Yeesh, I thought he came off as an arrogant jerk, with an incredibly selfish move to begin with and a bit too macho with the "I just let 'em have it" comment at the end. I could have done without that.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    That "hunt" looked as challenging as walking into a farmers pasture and killing a cow. If you threw a stick at a cow, it might charge too.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Well if the whole "Spearing Buffalo's" thing doesn't work out for him at least he has the "Fastest Gun Alive" title to fall back on. :up:
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not thinking that water buffalo was all that wild. That guy wasn't all that stealthy. So, that cow was either sudo-tame or exceptionally stupid to let him get that close.

Hmmm ... there might be something to that. All I know is "not all that wild" or not ... no how no way would I be pissin' him off with a pointy stabby thing.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member
    PFD wrote: »
    Well if the whole "Spearing Buffalo's" thing doesn't work out for him at least he has the "Fastest Gun Alive" title to fall back on. :up:
    I think Jerry Miculek might take offense to that, considering how many speed records he holds
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    I think Jerry Miculek might take offense to that, considering how many speed records he holds

Exactly what I thought when I saw the first 2 seconds of the video.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member
    PFD wrote: »
    Exactly what I thought when I saw the first 2 seconds of the video.
    :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.