Home Main Category General Firearms

Quick range trip today...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
Killing a few hours.  It’s getting cold so I need to practice draw and shoot from concealment in heavier clothing, AND I wanted to test drive the new Kimber.

First, I’m totally digging the mag well.  One of those things I never knew I wanted.  I’m not running out to install them on every 1911 I own but it’s not getting removed from this one.  More testing to follow.  The rubber finger groves were ditched last night exposing the much better fine checkering on the front strap which is also on the bottom of the trigger guard giving some very positive grip action.  I might have to send my other Commander sized Kimber to the Custom shop to get this done.

I'm keeping the WC grips for now but will probably order a thin version just to keep all my 1911s consistent.  The Wilson Combat trigger is nice but I want to lighten it a little so I will be ordering new springs and adjusting the overtravel screw better.

So how do you test reliability on your new 1911s (actually any new auto I buy nowadays)?  GunNuts torture test!  I run multiple magazines of mixed ammo from the “leftover” pile.   Various weight bullets, some +Ps and multiple bullet profiles loaded at random... 😈

First 3 magazines I ran, 7 yards, offhand one shot per second, aimed fire.  It passed with flying colors.  Started center of mass, then head, then abdomen.  You can see I was settling down by mag #3.

Spent the rest of the time playing around with double taps, weak hand firing, etc.   Then I went to the rifle range and found a small metal target (circle) hung at 25 yards so I spent some time ringing it offhand just to play.

The gun is a keeper!!!  It’s now cleaned and loaded, ready to go out.

Oh, for your entertainment, I found this heavy board silhouette target also at the 25 yard range.  This is what passes for acceptable shooting around here.  Just about all the targets I find at my club look like this...  (your looking at the back of the target).

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I just shoot mine when I can. Only failures my old gun's ever had were mag related. That Kimber's looking rock steady.

Ive upgraded my phone and been watching some 1911 stuff on youtube today. Most people on there really like them. Easy to understand.

I can relate to the poorly perforated target. I would have disposed of it to hide the evidence though. 

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I just shoot mine when I can. Only failures my old gun's ever had were mag related. That Kimber's looking rock steady.

Ive upgraded my phone and been watching some 1911 stuff on youtube today. Most people on there really like them. Easy to understand.

I can relate to the poorly perforated target. I would have disposed of it to hide the evidence though. 

I’m convinced that just about all common failures on a 1911 are magazine related.  Funny most folks will sing the praises of Sigs and Glocks and they are well earned.  But most folks would never think of running one of those guns with surplus $6 mags from some gun show.  But have no problems doing that with a 1911 and calling them unreliable.  Magazines ARE the heart of a semi auto pistol.

Anyway I’m with you, I would thrown that target in my trunk to dispose of at home 😁
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,774 Senior Member
    Nice shooting.   That's about how my 1911s shoot group size,  but I shoot about 12" low at 30 feet.   That's every 1911 for me,  yet anyone else shooting the same gun will be right on target. 
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,911 Senior Member
    We had trouble with my sons 1911 with my reloads. I loaded a different bullet and after he ran some of those it got to where it would function with the others also. There is a reason I don't post my targets, they would look closer to that one not yours.
    mitdr774 said:
    Nice shooting.   That's about how my 1911s shoot group size,  but I shoot about 12" low at 30 feet.   That's every 1911 for me,  yet anyone else shooting the same gun will be right on target. 
    That’s funny!  I have other friends that have those issues.  Must be a grip thing.  In any case if your accurate and consistent that’s all that matters!  You can just get a shorter front post and call it good! 😁
    We had trouble with my sons 1911 with my reloads. I loaded a different bullet and after he ran some of those it got to where it would function with the others also. There is a reason I don't post my targets, they would look closer to that one not yours.
    The issue just went away?  Interesting.  Did you post that here?  I kind of remember reading about it.  🤔
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 386 Member
    If you want to tighten up the group on that second target change out the cylinder choke to full. Guaranteed results.
    Rafterman said:
    If you want to tighten up the group on that second target change out the cylinder choke to full. Guaranteed results.
    Yeah....  those were not shotgun pellet holes 🤣
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    Looks like it works well. 

But I have to ask, how is trying different ammo for reliable function a “torture test”?  
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Looks like it works well. 

But I have to ask, how is trying different ammo for reliable function a “torture test”?  
    It’s not.  Sorry it was just meant as humor.  I not a big fan of the YouTube “torture test” videos.  Just a feeble attempt at being funny.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    👍🏻
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    GunNut said:
    mitdr774 said:
    That’s funny!  I have other friends that have those issues.  Must be a grip thing.  In any case if your accurate and consistent that’s all that matters!  You can just get a shorter front post and call it good! 😁
    The issue there is that if I let anyone else shoot them, which happens almost every time I take on to the range, they will be shooting 12" high.  That puts them into the target carrier which is currently a steel T bar.  They used to be square stock that was turned with the corner toward the firing line, but now they are all fairly rounded from being hit so many times.  My solution will probably be to sell the Colt LWC and DW RZ10.  The Kimber Pro Carry II will remain as it was my first handgun.  
    mitdr774 said:
    GunNut said:
    mitdr774 said:
    The issue there is that if I let anyone else shoot them, which happens almost every time I take on to the range, they will be shooting 12" high.  That puts them into the target carrier which is currently a steel T bar.  They used to be square stock that was turned with the corner toward the firing line, but now they are all fairly rounded from being hit so many times.  My solution will probably be to sell the Colt LWC and DW RZ10.  The Kimber Pro Carry II will remain as it was my first handgun.  
    I’d rather get rid of my friends!!! 🤣
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,911 Senior Member
    Yes I brought it up on here and received some information on things to try including just shoot it and it would break in and I guess it did. 
    Yes I brought it up on here and received some information on things to try including just shoot it and it would break in and I guess it did. 
    I thought I remembered the story.  Unlike Glocks and other modern high quality handguns that have been engineered to minimum contact of components, 1911s were designed by JMB to be bank vaults for a 100+ years of service.  That means  a lot of massive metal touching and working together so a gun off the assembly line just might have a hiccup or two until all that metal settles in.
    GunNut said:

I’d rather get rid of my friends!!! 🤣
    I cant in good conscience alter the sights knowing that anyone else shooting it will be shooting high and as a result potentially create an unsafe situation.  Last thing I want to do is introduce someone to .38 Super or 10mm and have them end up with a bad experience.  It is only 1911s that I shoot low.  The sight picture will be perfect, but I will be 12" low at 30'.  I even sent the Colt LWC back thinking it was an issue with the gun.  When it came back I went to the range and was shooting low still.  Had one of the employees, whom I trusted with my gun, take it out and he came back with a nice cluster right in the center of the target.  I just dont shoot 1911s well for some reason.
    Did that with the LWC and it shifted about 2" higher.  1911s and I just dont work.
    mitdr774 said:
    Did that with the LWC and it shifted about 2" higher.  1911s and I just dont work.
    Well I run a home for wayward 1911s so if you want to send them to me for retraining I’ll be happy to take it on 😁
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #20
    GunNut said:
    mitdr774 said:
    Well I run a home for wayward 1911s so if you want to send them to me for retraining I’ll be happy to take it on 😁
    He is fibbing, I saw the No Vacancy light. Send them down to me instead. I have room for them
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    mitdr774 said:
    He is fibbing, I saw the No Vacancy light. Send them down to me instead. I have room for them
    HEY!  Don't try to muscle in on my chance to do some charity work!
    They may be in a upcoming trip to the LGS to see about consignment.  I have to find time to even get there though.  As much as I like them, I just dont shoot them for the stated reason.  I also dont feel bad about running hot loads through the G40 or SRH.  Now if only I could get a "cheap" non 1911 in .38 super......
    knitepoet said:
    mitdr774 said:
    Hey, it was an idea anyway :smile:
    That was the though behind changing it out.  If it had worked I would have purchased one for the RZ10 as well.