Home Main Category General Firearms

Most accurate sub $1k off the shelf hunting rifle

2»

Replies

• SPQR70ADSPQR70AD Posts: 8 New Member
    it amazing that an adult either with a safe full of guns that are hardly used or no guns at all asks this type of question when there are tons of articles here on every rifle made. either some guys have nothing to do and start a thread like this or they like guys starting to argue that their rifle is better then the other rifle which after a while all these type of threads turn into
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    SPQR70AD said:
    it amazing that an adult either with a safe full of guns that are hardly used or no guns at all asks this type of question when there are tons of articles here on every rifle made. either some guys have nothing to do and start a thread like this or they like guys starting to argue that their rifle is better then the other rifle which after a while all these type of threads turn into
    Funny I see no "arguing" on any of the responses and the only negative of the whole thread is your post.  There is nothing wrong with a member asking his forums friends/peers their opinion.  That is kind'a what this forum is about.  What's amazing is  that anyone would have a problem with this.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member South DakotaPosts: 2,040 Senior Member
    All great choices so far.   Don't forget the CZ 550 and Marlin L7?
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    SPQR70AD said:
    Funny I see no "arguing" on any of the responses and the only negative of the whole thread is your post.  There is nothing wrong with a member asking his forums friends/peers their opinion.  That is kind'a what this forum is about.  What's amazing is  that anyone would have a problem with this.
    Not to mention the fact that articles written by those who are paid to review firearms are normally biased on the basis that 'You dont bite the hand that feeds you'.

I would and do place far more value on the opinions expressed here than on reviews by  some Gun writers or youtubers seeking hits on their channels.......

Another point is that this place is like a second family to me, having met quite a few of the members, and while sometimes arguments start, you must have led a very sheltered life if you havent argued with family.........

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 326 Member
    I like real world reviews-not fake news. Update- the Montana rifle was sold to someone else while I was trying to schedule a trip to see it. Not meant to be.

To the naysayer- yes, I have plenty, and they get used plenty. Most are common run of the mill firearms, I am looking for a great rifle to go along with my never sell one hole revolvers(2) and my shotgun- named Black Death by others. 
    The Weatherby I am going to replace shoots 1.5" groups if I try real hard, and doesn't really fit me well, like a Glock- I have to try real hard to shoot it well, which might have something to do with the groups. 
    I want something better. I had a 1 hole( 3 shots at 100 with no paper between them) Browning A bolt and a thief got it. I would like another 1 holer.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Argument?

Those don't start till the end of January. About the time someone thinks their rattling old Winchester is as good as my Marlin.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,823 Senior Member
    I was surprised no one mentioned the Browning  A-Bolt II. I've zeroed probably 2-3 dozen over the years, and with the sole exception of a .300 WSM all were sub MOA  out of the box at 100 yards using factory ammo, and usually much better with handloads.

I think the X-Bolt replaced the A-Bolt, but I've never fired an X-Bolt.

I do like A-Bolts, though.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ojrojr Senior Member New ZealandPosts: 1,341 Senior Member
    I don't like the Abolts magazine though I've had two quite accurate ones in the short actions,243 very accurate, 7mm 08 not too bad.
     However the detach underfloor plate mag is far to short for the calibers/ Bullet lengths I shoot now. Ive never shot an X-Bolt either so cannot comment.

There is a bloke in Aussie manufacturing and selling decent length magazines for the Tikka T3 or T3x, no smithing required on the rifle only simple assembly of the magazine.
    Can provide link if any one is interested.

I got one in six [can get a 10] shot into New Zealand  for my T3x fast twist 223 I before the laws here went mental.
    He also does them in  308 and 30 06 length,not sure about magnum 

That would be my choice for an under 1k accurate out of the box rifle.

The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member The Giant Side Of TexasPosts: 1,305 Senior Member
    I was very interested in the Savage 110 tactical- didn't want to taint the answers. It will be replacing a Weatherby Mark V 30-06. Probably keep my scope- Trijicon Accupoint 2.5 x10 x 56. Love the low light capability of the Trijicon. 
    Does anyone have real experience with the Savage 110 tactical?
    Is the mark 5 going away, if so, any reason that you would care to share?
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    41magnut said:
    I was very interested in the Savage 110 tactical- didn't want to taint the answers. It will be replacing a Weatherby Mark V 30-06. Probably keep my scope- Trijicon Accupoint 2.5 x10 x 56. Love the low light capability of the Trijicon. 
    Does anyone have real experience with the Savage 110 tactical?
    Is the mark 5 going away, if so, any reason that you would care to share?
    I like real world reviews-not fake news. Update- the Montana rifle was sold to someone else while I was trying to schedule a trip to see it. Not meant to be.

To the naysayer- yes, I have plenty, and they get used plenty. Most are common run of the mill firearms, I am looking for a great rifle to go along with my never sell one hole revolvers(2) and my shotgun- named Black Death by others. 
    The Weatherby I am going to replace shoots 1.5" groups if I try real hard, and doesn't really fit me well, like a Glock- I have to try real hard to shoot it well, which might have something to do with the groups. 
    I want something better. I had a 1 hole( 3 shots at 100 with no paper between them) Browning A bolt and a thief got it. I would like another 1 holer.