Home Main Category Hunting

Dad's buck

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,976 Senior Member
Had to sign back on to share this.  

My dad said this was going to be his last hunt.  77, tired,  done with chasing animals.  His dad died at 76 at elk camp about 27 years ago, (grandpa i don't remember meeting) lots of emotion.  I didn't draw but I committed to making this happen,  took him 9 years to draw this tag. One of the more coveted deer tags in the world,  rut buck in the gunnison valley.  

Saw a few shooter worthy bucks over the season,  but just couldn't connect.  TONS of does but never seeing does WITH bucks.  Was getting a bit nervous and thinking it might be a season of shooting a tag filler vs empty hand.  On the final morning the sunrise was beautiful and I was rocking my lucky camo and full of drive.  

We came over a draw and a stock tank we'd seen does using and finally *FINALLY* saw a herd with bucks,  3 to be exact.  The first deer I glassed was a very fine buck by any western hunters standards. I saw him turn his head and counted 5 points,  so a non typical. Tried to get dad on a shot but he was having trouble following the buck in the crowd at that distance (300+ ish and he has glaucoma). I can admit I was getting a little frustrated because I could've nailed this fat boy easily, but I'm not nearly 80. 

We watched the herd move around without care of my truck so I drive down past them and they don't care.  20 yards and they couldn't care less. We have  actually moved back and forth 3 times without them moving much.  I find a 2 track trail that should skirt the direction of the herd. Bingo,  there's the buck.  We have just a little time to get out and line up a shot and it all works out before the herd vanishes into the dark timber. 

About 150 yard shot,  and the buck dropped DRT from a 100gr Barnes TTSX behind 50.5gr 4831sc from a Ruger tang safety 257 Ackley breaking the shoulder and taking out a lung. 

I worked my hiney off for 5 days trying to get my dad onto a shooter buck he can actually get to and i don't feel is a compromise buck.  

Taxidermist gave him a rough measure of low 170's (190 if his rears had a little more length) and one happy Dad after my getting frustrated playing guide yet again.  The couple guys here ive helped get onto an animal can understand what kind of emotion i put into hunting,  take that and quadruple that.  

I gutted and packed it out for pops, and dropping it off today the taxidermist gives us a very rough score in the low 170's. Truly a buck of a lifetime and well worth the 8 years wait.  I feel.so blessed I could help my dad FINALLY connect on a real trophy. 

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,976 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #2
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    He's healthy looking. Big n' fat.

Hope you have a lot of time left with your Dad albeit in less strenuous circumstances.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,554 Senior Member
    Fantastic, the last hunt with my dad is a cherished memory,and we did not score trophy, just a fat doe.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,467 Senior Member
    Quite a nice buck!
    Well done. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Good to hear from you again, Dan.  Don't be such a stranger.

Please offer you dad my heartfelt congratulations.  He and your mother were very gracious in putting me up for the night last year on our trip back from Montana.  I'm glad he got such a great deer.

And, I know from experience how it feels to turn the tables on dad after he has helped you get your deer for so many years.  Well done.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,119 Senior Member
    What a great way to end the saga...congratulations!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I love how you guys out west score them on one side as a 5...  That's a 10 in my book in every way.  Congrats on a great hunt, and doing right by your dad.  Memory of a lifetime!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,504 Senior Member
    Great hunt and an even better story! Congrats on a great trophy!!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,145 Senior Member
    Congratulations to you and your Dad
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Great story and beautiful deer!  Thanks for sharing brother!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    Very nice!   Congrats to you both
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 326 Member
    Awesome and Congrats- I wish I could have 1 more.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    That's a hunt you'll never forget, and treasure forever. It means a lot to you now, but it'll mean a lot more in your future. Trust me.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,209 Senior Member
    Good to hear your guiding skills have progressed to shooting them within 150 yds of the truck :) , pictures look even better on the big screen, hope the Toyota does not smell like buck-in-rut now
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Wow! Great story, not because of the result ( which was awesome), but because of the circumstances. Congratulations to your Dad and to you for your patience and perseverance.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,332 Senior Member
    CHUBBY!  Well done! 

Dad deers are important stuff.  We're committing to trying for a drawing in a better zone next year to try and score something a little closer to that fellow.  He'll be 70 with a collection of artificial and rebuilt joints - so yeah, something of a time factor involved.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,036 Senior Member
    Excellent buck!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    BigDanS said:
    I love how you guys out west score them on one side as a 5...  That's a 10 in my book in every way.  Congrats on a great hunt, and doing right by your dad.  Memory of a lifetime!

D
    Well the way you guys score a pimple as a point this would actually be a 13 pt. Eye guards plus a trash point would make it 6x7. To us,  those are deductions since mule deer typically have 4x4
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Good to hear your guiding skills have progressed to shooting them within 150 yds of the truck :) , pictures look even better on the big screen, hope the Toyota does not smell like buck-in-rut now
    If you'd been stacking deer points like id told you to do we could be talking about YOUR deer next to the road lol. I'll take mule deer hunting over elk 15 to 1 any day and twice on Sunday (which coincidentally is when he killed). I frankly just don't enjoy elk hunting anymore,  it's too tied up in luck and weather or private land access.  

The toy is fine.  Rut had literally JUST started the night before as we'd not seen any bucks with dors, and saw does every day.  He hadn't started started himself yet so no foul odor at all. 
    I have some points, not nine though, glad you avoided the rut buck smell hey :D
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Non rez would probably be closer to 10 points or more *eek* but, we can chat about some other deer possibilities ...
    OK, I need to look at my account....