Home Main Category Hunting

KP-0, Mrs KP -1

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,391 Senior Member
edited November 2019 in Hunting #1
Today is opening day of our deer season. Was rainy this morning, plus my work schedule, so we didn't go this morning.
We did go this evening though.
About 5:30, this doe came out about 35 yards away. She had her head down when the wife shot. Bullet went in the right side of her neck and came out her left "armpit"
She fell DRT.
When I got there, I noticed a piece of her heart in the exit wound.

Ruger Compact 308, 125gr NBT, 40.0gr H4895 in a LC18 pull down case

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    For the record, I shot every deer that came out in the field I was hunting (none)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
    Ain't that just something   
    Ain't nothing but a thing. Meat all goes into the same freezer :D

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,453 Senior Member
    Gonna be some good eating on a doe that size. Antlers are nice, but don't taste all that good. I'll take does all day over a buck, unless the buck is a thirty pointer. :) Them is few and far between up here, though.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Thanks Mike, and was good chatting with you earlier

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,885 Senior Member
    Its good to have two hunter/gatherers working together.
    LOL Early, I do most of the work (Green fields, loading, sighting in, tending the feeders and game cams) she just goes with me and shoots stuff :D 

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Congratulations to the Mrs.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Thanks Ron, I'll pass them along to her

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,963 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    LOL Early, I do most of the work (Green fields, loading, sighting in, tending the feeders and game cams) she just goes with me and shoots stuff :D 

Let me guess: She lets you clean her gun too.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,326 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #12
    knitepoet said:

Then we know who the brains in the outfit is, no? 😁

Congrats to the huntress lady!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

@zorba, Of course, and she HATES the smell of bore cleaner, so I have to do it when she's not home

@GunNut yep and thank you

Yea, dunno what it is about women and #9 - they hate the stuff.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    I don't use #9, that stuff, in its new formulation, is less than useless

Works fine for me 99% of the time. *shrug*

To each their own :wink:

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,298 Senior Member
    Congrats to the Mrs!  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Thanks Bullsi

edited November 2019 #20
    We'll be back out there this evening, HOPEFULLY one will come out in the field I hunt. 

The field she sits at has a MAX of a 92 yard shot. At the one I'm hunting, the closest edge of the field is 100 yards away. She prefers the shorter shots, and I'm okay with that

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    Hope your evening hunt is doubly successful.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull

Thanks Mike

knitepoet said:
    To each their own :wink:
    There's always WD-40! >:)

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,512 Senior Member
    Well done and good for her!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    It's late, even here in the Rocky Mountains. I'm taking this as a good sign. You're probably dragging out two deer.

Or....you could have had a flat in a deep mud hole.

Hunting is like that.

I'm hoping for the former.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    edited November 2019 #27
    @Zee
    Thanks. 

No joy this evening, but I pulled memory cards and there's been a LOT of activity the last few mornings. ( A bunch of does & quite a few bucks, including another of the cull 3 points I've been trying to eliminate)

Wife's off all week, and I don't have to be in until evening shift, so we'll be back at it before daylight in the morning

edited November 2019 #28
    @Linefinder
    No sir, met dau-in-law and the 3 teenage granddaughters for dinner on the way home. I had stray dogs raising hell CLOSE but in the woodline. :rage:
    Wife saw a rabbit, that's the only fur either of us saw tonight :(

Here's the level of activity I'm talking about...

subtract 1 hour, I haven't reset the clock on this one yet

I missed a chance at this one by sleeping in this morning

And here's the 3 pt.
    I've already removed 2 or 3 bucks with basically the exact same rack. The left side is short, and wide, front to back.