Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

PACT Act

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberKaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
Trump signed the "Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture Act" (PACT) a couple days ago. The animal rights groups are already declaring it as a step in the right direction towards other animal protection legislation. The left is dragging out pics of Trump Jr on safari with all the usual vitriol. 

BTW - The PACT Act specifically declares hunting, trapping, farming, etc is exempt. 

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/724/text
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    This is all well and good (from my brief scan of it), but like everything else, "they" will use it as a lever to get stupidity passed. The GOP and Dems BOTH do this - slippery slope and all that.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I would think that most folks are born with an inherit perception that cruelty and torture are wrong in the extreme.

My bad.......
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #4
    I would think that most folks are born with an inherit perception that cruelty and torture are wrong in the extreme.

My bad.......

It isn't that simple. It depends on who gets to define cruelty and torture. 

I've seen statements from people who say eating meat or eggs or milk is cruel to the animals exploited. I've been told that trapping/hunting is cruel and I should be imprisoned for participating. Rodeos, horse and dog racing, zoos, circuses, ad nauseum are cruel and should be outlawed. 

I've been told by members of this forum that waterboarding is not torture. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:

My bad.......

It isn't that simple. It depends on who gets to define defines cruelty and torture. 

I've seen statements from people who say eating meat or eggs or milk is cruel to the animals exploited. I've been told that trapping/hunting is cruel and I should be imprisoned for participating. Rodeos, horse and dog racing, zoos, circuses, ad nauseum are cruel and should be outlawed. 

I've been told by members of this forum that waterboarding is not torture. 

Exactly.  Something like this could be amended through a rule change (like our lovely BATFE does all the time) and make your favorite hunting a federal crime.

I have had someone tell me the bark collar I use on the kid’s terrier is “cruel”. Just wait until Bernie or Fauxcahontas get the ability to pander to the insane animal rights activists with a simple rule change.

laws should be incredibly hard to pass.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Thats kind of my point. We didn't need a law.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Sure we did. How else do we force our mores on everyone else without federal involvement? 

Adam J. McCleod

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,911 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #8
    What happens when you take rover to the vet and he needs $2000 to fix him and you can't afford it so you put him down. Now you are a felon. There are already state laws for this, we didn't need the feds interfering. 
    What happens when you take rover to the vet and he needs $2000 to fix him and you can't afford it so you put him down. Now you are a felon. There are already state laws for this, we didn't need the feds interfering. 
    This law will let the States defer cases to the feds. Mark my words, most of the PACT prosecutions will be against the crazy cat lady living with 100 cats in squalor or the trailer trash with the dogs chained outside in subzero weather. 

Adam J. McCleod

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    This law will let the States defer cases to the feds. Mark my words, most of the PACT prosecutions will be against the crazy cat lady living with 100 cats in squalor or the trailer trash with the dogs chained outside in subzero weather. 
    Well duh, these types of people are enemies of the state and require the full force of the Federal government on them to keep them in line, because ya' know there were no laws on the books to enforce about animal cruelty before they passed the PACT Act. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    And like every other law in existence, it will apply - or not - to whomever "they" say it does/doesn't.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • BufordBuford Senior Member CA. Beach citiesPosts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member