Home Main Category Clubhouse

Ancestry.com

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,742 Senior Member
It works.  I joined up about 5 years ago, sent in a sample of my DNA, and continue to get information regarding my ancestors.  Stuff I didn't feed them, like great grandfather/mother, cousins and possible cousins, someone in that organization actually does research.  A lot more than I expected.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
«1

Replies

  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,800 Senior Member
    Yep, it works.  I’m 9% African.  Who knew 😁
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

    General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,925 Senior Member
    It's a good tool to use to set up a baseline for further study...With the basic stuff we got from Ancestry we have traced my Fathers side of the family back to my 6th Great-Grandparents, learning they came to America in 1723,when they changed the name from O'Sullivan to Sullivan. From there we have have traced the family our family in Ireland back to the 1500s.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,742 Senior Member
    Got nothing the FBI has against me, so I'm not worried.  In fact, I applaud DNA tests.  One show I saw on TN  (Forensics) was able to find a rapist/murderer through DNA on his mothers side.  I don't think they got the info from Family Tree, which I'm sure responded to a subpoena.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,921 Senior Member
    Just wait until they share your DNA with your insurance company and they cancel you because your prone to get something expensive to treat
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #8
    jbp-ohio said:
    They started sharing the info with the FBI in 2018? With a "republican" in the Whitehouse? Fake news! o:)  
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    *refrains from commenting about feds and DNA evidence gathering*

    I don't get the genealogy thing. I guess it is interesting to know about your ancestors, but it doesn't change anything about your life. IMO, it seems trivial. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #10
    Some of my wifes side grew up on a Reservation in Oklahoma when they were younger, supposedly some Native American back 2 generations, my FIL, my oldest son, and one of my nephews did the test and came back as "european" for some of it, no "native american", I guess the landbridge from Asia to North America was legit, LOL. FWIW, my FIL and his brothers and cousins definitely have Native American features, maybe the tests need to be more refined or specific for a region. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,742 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Just wait until they share your DNA with your insurance company and they cancel you because your prone to get something expensive to treat
    Long way from the FBI to Allstate, and it's not progressive.  If you got your insurance cancelled on such specious grounds, it's time to sue Family Tree.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    Gene was a LEO..... Personal Liberty was the enemy of easy evidence gathering.


    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    They can get my DNA when they pry it from my cold dead hands.
    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,742 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    Gene was a LEO..... Personal Liberty was the enemy of easy evidence gathering.


    Who said getting DNA evidence is easy?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Was Charles J Colchester the founder???
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    They can get my DNA when they pry it from my cold dead hands.
    Mike
    Of course, if you were ever in the military, LE, arrested or hospitalized -- they probably already have it. 😡
    All we need now is a personal information chip implanted under our skin which allows each individual to buy and sell goods. 😈
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Yep, it works.  I’m 9% African.  Who knew 😁
    I knew it!
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,742 Senior Member
    edited November 2019 #18
    Hospitals and the military don't keep DNA...and why should they?  It's expensive and there's no reason to file DNA criteria.. Same with LEOs....although they take your fingerprints.  Prisoners do have DNA on file in many, maybe most states, and it's resulted to people being arrested for rape years after it happened.
    You can't beat DNA evidence...unless you're OJ and got a biased jury.

    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    Gene L said:

    You can't beat DNA evidence...unless you're OJ and got a biased jury.

    So you're saying it's possible.
    :D:D:D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,921 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    Hospitals and the military don't keep DNA...and why should they?  It's expensive and there's no reason to file DNA criteria.. Same with LEOs....although they take your fingerprints.  Prisoners do have DNA on file in many, maybe most states, and it's resulted to people being arrested for rape years after it happened.
    You can't beat DNA evidence...unless you're OJ and got a biased jury.

    Gene
    The Military has been keeping DNA on file since 1992
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,742 Senior Member
    News to me  I guess they need it for cases of identity if someone is blown up.

    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Gene L said:
    Hospitals and the military don't keep DNA...and why should they?  It's expensive and there's no reason to file DNA criteria.. Same with LEOs....although they take your fingerprints.  Prisoners do have DNA on file in many, maybe most states, and it's resulted to people being arrested for rape years after it happened.
    You can't beat DNA evidence...unless you're OJ and got a biased jury.

    Gene
    The Military has been keeping DNA on file since 1992
    How do they gather it? I was in the military 89-95 and don't recall any such action. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,921 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Diver43 said:
    Gene L said:
    Hospitals and the military don't keep DNA...and why should they?  It's expensive and there's no reason to file DNA criteria.. Same with LEOs....although they take your fingerprints.  Prisoners do have DNA on file in many, maybe most states, and it's resulted to people being arrested for rape years after it happened.
    You can't beat DNA evidence...unless you're OJ and got a biased jury.

    Gene
    The Military has been keeping DNA on file since 1992
    How do they gather it? I was in the military 89-95 and don't recall any such action. 
    Never went on sick call? Had blood drawn for any reason? Deployed?
    They didn't tell us they just did it.

    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,925 Senior Member
    I have always believed that knowing where you come from is stuff worth knowing if only to tell your children where they came from.....and you don't need to submit a DNA sample to find out.....just commit to a lot of work and research
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    *refrains from commenting about feds and DNA evidence gathering*

    I don't get the genealogy thing. I guess it is interesting to know about your ancestors, but it doesn't change anything about your life. IMO, it seems trivial. 
    I never much saw the point of it either. *shrug* - ancestry doesn't define who I am.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • dlddld Member Posts: 412 Member

    Who Are You? DNA Registry Knows

    By Douglas J. Gillert
    American Forces Press Service

    ROCKVILLE, Md., July 13, 1998 – Ten minutes by car from this Washington suburb is a deep-freeze warehouse containing foolproof identifications of more than a million soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines.

    In the freezer reside the DNA "fingerprints" of nearly two-thirds of all active duty and reserve component service members. By the turn of the century, everyone in uniform will have a DNA card on file.

    https://archive.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=41418


    FOURTH AMENDMENT & DOD DNA REPOSITORY

    file:///C:/Users/Dana/Documents/Downloads/451541.pdf


    As of December 2002, the Repository, now known as the “Armed Forces Repository of Specimen Samples for the Identification of Remains,”6 contained the DNA of approximately 3.2 million service members

    https://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/07-08-2003.pdf

  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    .
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

    ECHO...ECHO....echo...

    Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

    Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    After reading some of a above it appears they collect a sample but simply store it with the service members name on it. It isn't "processed" unless the service member is killed and requires ID. 

    Unless you wear a tinfoil hat...
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,742 Senior Member
    Yeah, it's kinda expensive time-wise to process DNA.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • TugarTugar Senior Member Posts: 2,222 Senior Member
    I did the 23 & me one. Got all the pasty countries plus a few very minor addtion. Spice to stew I guess. 
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    Winston Churchill
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,742 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Some of my wifes side grew up on a Reservation in Oklahoma when they were younger, supposedly some Native American back 2 generations, my FIL, my oldest son, and one of my nephews did the test and came back as "european" for some of it, no "native american", I guess the landbridge from Asia to North America was legit, LOL. FWIW, my FIL and his brothers and cousins definitely have Native American features, maybe the tests need to be more refined or specific for a region. 
    You and Elizabeth Warren, too?   I've got 1% NA.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement