Home Main Category Clubhouse

Best Christmas Movie

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    I guess I'm just a scrooge..haven't watched a Christmas movie since the kids grew up...

Unless you count that thing that the TranSiberian Orchestra does every year "The Ghosts of Christmas Eve"
    I got talked into seeing TSO live once. ONCE, being the operative word. Never again.

Mike
    TSO comes up with a new show every couple years. You must have seen a different one than us. We enjoyed it very much
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    I never figured out the plot line, to be honest with you. I think it had something to do with Jesus being born in a manger.
    While I'll certainly admit the individual cast members were talented beyond belief, the mix reminded me of a highly amplified cat-fight.
    I'm sure we saw different shows. We had to. :)
    Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,267 Senior Member
    There was the opening title sequence of The Addams Family in which they pour boiling oil on the Christmas carolers gathered outside their door.

Does that count? >:)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    Bonus points if you hit all the carolers simultaneously. 😁

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    Bonus points if you hit all the carolers simultaneously. 😁
    I'm not sure that's really the way to play the game.  If you hit some of them spot on, and others with various degrees of splashiness, they scream in different musical notes.
    WWJMBD?

My wife found Its a wonderful life on Netflix this evening. I'll admit I've never watched it, but I'm trying. I really am.
    Not gonna make it, though.
    Mike
    N454casull
    My wife found Its a wonderful life on Netflix this evening. I'll admit I've never watched it, but I'm trying. I really am.
    Mike
    It's one of those "family" favorites. If the kids are all grown, it's probably not as fun. Watch Krampus instead.
    😁
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Per Futurama:  Your mistletoe is no match for my T.O.W. missile!

WWJMBD?

Ever wonder?
    😁

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Its Still the Greatest Story Ever Told DEC2014 - YouTube
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Mike
    Are ya filled with the Christmas spirit yet or do we need to break out Miracle on 34th Street 😁

Did you ever find Zuzu's petals? Hear any bells ringing?
    :D

Gila knows the true meaning of Christmas.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,403 Senior Member
    Silent Running. The movie came out in 1972. Not EXACTLY a Christmas movie, but I think it covers how the miserable so called human race will end up. At least the star did something right.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,683 Senior Member
    You don't hear much about Silent Running anymore, but it sure was a movie that stuck with me for decades before I found it on DVD.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    I have to admit, I missed that one. I've never seen it.
    I was really into low budget horror movies like Gargoyles.

Or Asylum, The Car and the ever popular A Boy and his Dog.

I'll look up Silent Running and check it out.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,683 Senior Member
    Silent Running is, first and foremost, an environmental movie - at least to my mind.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Silent Running. The movie came out in 1972. Not EXACTLY a Christmas movie, but I think it covers how the miserable so called human race will end up. At least the star did something right.

One of my favorites.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Spk said:

Spk said:

Spk said:

sgtrock21 said:
    tennmike said:

One of my favorites.

'A Boy And His Dog' is another favorite. 
    I loved Gargoyles. Ranks right up there with the original Tremors.

Mike
    N454casull
    I honestly don't know how many times I've seen Tremors but I get a kick out of it each time. Well cast movie. And then there's Burt Gummer. 😂
    I'd like to have his basement.
    👍

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    I honestly don't know how many times I've seen Tremors but I get a kick out of it each time. Well cast movie. And then there's Burt Gummer. 😂
    I'd like to have his basement.
    👍

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Rocky????

Its Christmasy. Kind of. Don't we all have just a little Pauly in is during this special season??? :D
    Rocky????

Its Christmasy. Kind of. Don't we all have just a little Pauly in is during this special season??? :D

This is what I look like before the holidays kick in.

Then after they're over.
    :D

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,861 Senior Member
    I love the different versions of the Christmas Carol. Also luv Christmas Story and Wonderful Life.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Have you seen the new FX version of A Christmas Carol with Guy Pierce? It's a much darker and maybe even realistic version of the classic story. Lots of cruelty, some mild comedy and F-bombs everywhere. Almost didn't recognize the story but all the essential elements are still in there. I wasn't liking it at first. I kept thinking, what the heck did they do to the story but by the halfway point, I had to see the rest. It was well done and a very different take on the classic tale. If you like A Christmas Carol, it's worth watching this version. Just brace yourself.

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,660 Senior Member
    Watched A Christmas Carol with Guy Pierce recently and you are right on, a bit dark and not for young ears.
    edited December 2019 #57
    Strangely, once I got into it (accepted the fact it wasn't going to be like the others) the 3 hr movie went by pretty fast. 😁

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,861 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Have you seen the new FX version of A Christmas Carol with Guy Pierce? It's a much darker and maybe even realistic version of the classic story. Lots of cruelty, some mild comedy and F-bombs everywhere. Almost didn't recognize the story but all the essential elements are still in there. I wasn't liking it at first. I kept thinking, what the heck did they do to the story but by the halfway point, I had to see the rest. It was well done and a very different take on the classic tale. If you like A Christmas Carol, it's worth watching this version. Just brace yourself.
    My brother said it scarred him forever.....think I’ll delete it
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Stalag 17 was Christmassy..... Kind of
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio said:
    Stalag 17 was Christmassy..... Kind of
    So was Behind Enemy Lines with Owen Wilson. 😁
    That's a good theme for this thread Chismassy war time flicks.
    👍

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,248 Senior Member
    Watched the directors cut of Bad Santa last night. Classic and even raunchier in the directors cut!