Home Main Category General Firearms

Glocks big announcement

BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
A Friggin .22 lr built on a 17 or 19 frame.  Big Friggin deal.  They kept their Glock fanboys in suspense for weeks for a 10 round .22.

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    And the fans will rush to it to pick one up. Probably be in a magazine in a bit.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,770 Senior Member
    Probably have a Walther stamp on it too. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Don't they already have a conversion that does just that?
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
    GunNut said:
    Yes and I think it's chesper
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    Cheaper training tool if you run predominantly Glock handguns. 

I see it as a good idea. 

3 decades late. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Cheaper training tool if you run predominantly Glock handguns. 

I see it as a good idea. 

3 decades late. 
    Agreed that it's a great training tool.  My puzzlement is explained as follows.

Glock already has that option available in their conversion.  It's like Kimber selling their dedicated .22 1911 that they want over $700 for, when if you already own any ol' Kimber you can throw their OEM slide/conversion and mags on it and have the same gun for $300.  I don't really think Kimber sells many complete .22 guns.  

And with the Glock (like with the Kimber) why would you buy one of these if you already have the gun (17/19) and all you need is the conversion? And why would you if you DON'T have the gun?

I LOVE my dedicated .22 1911.  But there was no way I was shelling out the money for a dedicated Kimber, so I guess I don't really see the demand.
    I have a Colt/Walther 1911-22 and really like it. I’ve used it to teach my kids and a few others the function/use of a “real” carry gun.  Not something that can happen well with a Ruger Mk II or other .22lr that doesn’t match a practical carry platform. 

I don’t like kits/conversions. Not saying they don’t work sometimes. I just like a purpose built platform. 

I’m not gonna run out a get the new Glock. But, I don’t doubt that I will have one in the future, price dependent. 
    Zee said:
    I have a Colt/Walther 1911-22 and really like it. I’ve used it to teach my kids and a few others the function/use of a “real” carry gun.  Not something that can happen well with a Ruger Mk II or other .22lr that doesn’t match a practical carry platform. 

I don’t like kits/conversions. Not saying they don’t work sometimes. I just like a purpose built platform

I’m not gonna run out a get the new Glock. But, I don’t doubt that I will have one in the future, price dependent
    I can see why.  At times it was a PIA to have to swap slides etc so in the end I did end up finding a brand new RIA full frame on GB for $205 so I bought that and installed my Kimber Conversion on it and ended up with a dedicated .22 1911.  My point is that it was a move of opportunity and I don't know that I would have spent $700 on a Kimber .22.

As you said price dependent this could be a good training tool.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 895 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #10
    I own 2 Glock .22lr conversions.  One for the 19, and one for the 17.  They have their place.  Owning these I see no reason to buy a purpose built firearm.  I paid somewhere around 280 to 300 for each, and have had them for many years.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    If they can keep the price point around $400 or less, I can see a market.  Not if the want a price in line with a 17 or 19.
    Agree
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    OGunNut said:
    If they can keep the price point around $400 or less, I can see a market.  Not if the want a price in line with a 17 or 19.
    Exactly.  If the price is comparable to a new Ruger “Mark” Pistol or Buckmark, it would be a reasonable deal imho.

I shoot a lot of 22LR and own Glocks as my self defense pistols.  Training on a Glock 22LR vs 9mm seems like a good value,
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Well. . .kinda.

The Advantage Arms kits are a great little unit that are well worth the ~$250 they were going for ten or so years back, but they are a conversion kit that has to work around the big caliber components of the fram it's being bolted on, not a dedicated .22.  They like to be run on Mini Mags; it's a dice roll on whether they'll work with anything else; and even with Mini Mags, they're not the unstoppable beast something built for the job like, say, a Ruger MKII would be.

Just looking at the Glock factory video, it looks like they're using something like the standard extractor system.  I'd GUESS that they have a frame-mounted ejector instead of the inside-the-slide setup of the conversion kits.  Since it doesn't have the need to fit on a big-caliber frame, it looks like they dropped the bore axis WAAAAAY down.  While that isn't needed to keep a .22 from beating you up, anyone who's ever shot one of the old S&W 2206's knows that having ZERO muzzle climb is a lot of fun.

So yeah. . .I'm kind of intrigued.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Ok so it’s sounding more interesting... 😁
    Just read elsewhere that the MSRP is about $400 which should put the street price in the mid $300s.  That a LOT more compelling.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,541 Senior Member
    If the trigger is identical, the mags are the same size as a G19, and other controls (slide lock, mag release) feel the same I can see it being a great training tool. 

Often these things don't really mimic the centerfire option. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I have a Ceiner 1911 .22LR conversion kit. Had it for over 30 years and it worked great out of the box, and still works great. Nothing wrong with a QUALITY conversion kit. :)

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Bud’s has them Pre-Order for $369. 

It will be interesting to see what they go for after the smoke clears and what the Blue Label price will be. 
    I’d have to hold one, first. 
    Zee said:
    Bud’s has them Pre-Order for $369. 

It will be interesting to see what they go for after the smoke clears and what the Blue Label price will be. 
    Just saw this.  NOW it has my attention.  Priced just a little over a conversion unit.  I have a plan to include a 19 as my SHTF and bedside gun into the inventory in the near future so this is timely.  Will help tremendously with "wife training".
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    I'm interested, but am hoping against hope that they release a MOS version.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Pretty attractive kit.  The threaded barrel would be a must since I have a SilencerCo Sparrow ready to go.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #25
    Zee said:

Know you are admitting, how touching/holding is so important for you... B)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
    Would have cool with 20 rounds.  10? Meh
    Zee said:

Know you are admitting, how touching/holding is so important for you... B)
    I had to hold YOU before I liked you. 😘
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,770 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #28
    BamaakII said:
    I'm guessing that they dont anticipate selling enough to justify making two different magazines.  It's already a limited market, so why limit it even more by excluding places with magazine capacity restrictions?

I'm sure that if there is enough demand for it, the aftermarket will come up with a solution.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    Not sure more than 10 is practically possible in the space allotted.  Rimmed cartridges. . .constraints of the straight mag well. . .consider the curve of a 25 round 10/22 magazine. . .

After more than about 12, I get tired of holding the damn thing up anyway.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee