Home Main Category General Firearms

Gonna try a RRA upper in .450 Bushmaster

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
edited December 2019 in General Firearms #1
https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1918

I’ve considered a .450 Bushmaster upper for a couple of years now, but just never saw a package from any manufacturer  that made me jump.  I have a personally assembled lower sitting in the safe for just such an occasion.  Well, RRA finally got my attention with their mid-length A4 upper.  

It includes a 16” stainless barrel, pre-fitted brake and a 5-round mag.  I ordered a spare mag, as well.  After a year of pretty much zero gun purchases and lots of positive field experience with their HBAR A4 .223 upper, RRA’s excellent military pricing on this new offering forced my hand.

It should be here in 2-3 weeks.  Range report may have to wait until I get back from overseas.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    That should be fun...don't think you'll be disappointed...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,044 Senior Member
    I have really been enjoying mine.  The round seems to be a real powerhouse.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    I’ve bounced back and forth on getting a big bore upper. 

Interested in your result. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I’ve bounced back and forth on getting a big bore upper. 

Interested in your result. 
    I’ve been doing the same for the better part of 2+ years.  

Truthfully, the past is pretty littered with lost interest and apathy toward most “non-standard” cartridge experiments I’ve undertaken.  The 6.5 Grendel is a good example.  Had an upper for a little while, felt like it hit an underwhelming accuracy ceiling for practical velocities (and still had a rainbow trajectory) and parted with it shortly thereafter.  Lots of promises of a “500-yard hunting gun” that I just never saw even close to fulfilled.

On the flipside, the short range hunting specialty and superb accuracy offered by the 6x45 has definitely been one I’m happy to keep.  I hope to mirror that role and success in a larger bore this time. 

I’ll keep you all posted.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    I'll be watching, as well.  There is a BIG influx of 450 BM around here, with the opened up straight wall hunting laws.  Not that I need another deer rifle, but, you know.
    edited December 2019 #7
    jbohio said:
    I'll be watching, as well.  There is a BIG influx of 450 BM around here, with the opened up straight wall hunting laws.  Not that I need another deer rifle, but, you know.
    Oh, I imagine that influx is crazy.  Western Ohio/the Dayton area always weirded me out in that ARs were crazy popular despite the fact that they were, for the longest time, illegal for big game hunting.  I don’t think I ever had a public range trip where there wasn’t someone on the line shooting one.

Now that they’re allowed for hunting with straight wall stuff?  It’s gotta be nuts.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1918

I’ve considered a .450 Bushmaster upper for a couple of years now, but just never saw a package from any manufacturer  that made me jump.  I have a personally assembled lower sitting in the safe for just such an occasion.  Well, RRA finally got my attention with their mid-length A4 upper.  

It includes a 16” stainless barrel, pre-fitted brake and a 5-round mag.  I ordered a spare mag, as well.  After a year of pretty much zero gun purchases and lots of positive field experience with their HBAR A4 .223 upper, RRA’s excellent military pricing on this new offering forced my hand.

It should be here in 2-3 weeks.  Range report may have to wait until I get back from overseas.
    Why not a 50 Wulf?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    I like to shoot mine, but I am surprised that no manufacturers offer “training” ammo at reasonable prices.
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    I've been deer hunting in Ohio the last couple of years with my Bushmaster 20" barrel, Timney Trigger,  Vortex 4x16x42 in 450 Bushmaster. I really like it enough, that I haven't taken out the Marlin 45-70 guide gun. I've taken a couple of does with it.
    edited December 2019 #11
    snake284 said:
    Pretty much what knitepoet said.  The 450 Bushmaster has a ton of industry backing and options accordingly.  The Hornady FTX bullets are a good example.  It also lets me experiment with my own .452” hardcast bullets using a slightly harder alloy than I use for .45 Colt.  

As for the scope, because this one has a muzzlebrake, I am still looking. variable power but in low magnification, if for no other reason than to make zeroing and load tests a little easier to carry out.  Specifically, a 2-8x36mm option.
    I threw a Nikon 3-7 on my upper, and it seems well served by that.  And since Nikon is getting out of the scope biz, you can find good deals
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I threw a Nikon 3-7 on my upper, and it seems well served by that.  And since Nikon is getting out of the scope biz, you can find good deals
    Good point!  As long as they continue warranty service for a reasonable time, that is a good option.  I am also awaiting a reply from Leupold’s military purchase department to see what deals exist on a similar magnification scope.
    U T said:
    I've been deer hunting in Ohio the last couple of years with my Bushmaster 20" barrel, Timney Trigger,  Vortex 4x16x42 in 450 Bushmaster. I really like it enough, that I haven't taken out the Marlin 45-70 guide gun. I've taken a couple of does with it.
    That’s great feedback and a fine looking setup.  Great to hear that it’s doing well on Buckeye deer.

Mine will be also strictly be a hunting rig.  I was on fence about the muzzlebrake due to needing hearing protection in the field, but decided that the recoil impulse is stout enough to merit that tradeoff.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    I have thought about a big bore upper for some time. Future son in law has the .458 SOCOM, other than the .458 vs .452 bullet dia does one have a real advantage over the other? 
    The 450 Bushmaster has a lot of bullet option available, several tailored specifically for it (non-can elured FTX and soft point bullets from Hornady and others).  The .458 SOCOM had some early reports of feeding issues/going into battery, but so did the Bushmaster due to the slight case taper allowing the case to pop up in the mag.  Overall, folks around the web seem happy with both options.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    One other thing, the SOCOM, I believe, isn't Ohio legal, since it isn't a straight walled case
    If I were to do one it would just be for fun, not hunting I expect. 
    Knitepoet is correct, that in Ohio to hunt deer, it must be straight walled cartridge.
    Recoil to me isn't bad at all, compared to Ohio's primary other option - 12 guage shooting 1 oz slugs.
    I have not had any failures to feed, or any failures for that matter.
    The scope has a BDC Reticle, which worked out real well for me. At 100 yds it's zeroed about 2" high, at 200 yds it's about 5" low, which works well on the 1st hash mark below the main crosshairs, and at 300 yards it's about 26" low, which works on the 3rd hash mark below the main crosshairs - when on 16 power.

I use Hornady 250 gr FTX factory ammo

Fun to shoot!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #19
    Well, partially due to this thread, I just spent money. 

I’ve been thinking about doing a 450 build for a while. I’ve built or modified a few guns for buddys lately with spare parts donated to me, and already had a box of AR parts and a stripped lower laying around. So, I built a complete lower with nothing but spare parts. Then, it just happens that Midway has a 450 complete upper on sale for $281. The AR Stoner brand. So that, dies, brass, bullets, magazine and a couple odds and ends are on order.. cheap build. $35 in the Anderson lower, $281 in the upper and spare parts, barely over $300 in the gun... Now to figure out an optic and make it more expensive...
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    Jay you saved so much money on building the gun, you can go all out on glass
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I’ve been pretty happy with the Vortex Strike Eagle on my 308 AR for what they cost. Might go with another of theirs in a low magnification variable... not sure yet. Probably look at Nikon as well. 
    Mine will definitely not stay that cheap for too long. The standard M4 style stock and handguard will be changed out for a free floating handguard and probably an A2 style stock and it’ll get a muzzle brake. But for now, cheap thrills...
    I have the strike Eagle 1-6 on my 6.8spc that I like a lot. At first I wished I had gotten the 1-8, but for my use it stays around 2 or 3 anyways. Being in your location you will get much longer shot opportunities though. Brownells had a great sale which included a mount. They are pretty decent scopes in my opinion 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I was also contemplating the AR-Stoner lower for this particular build, but when I got the military quote from RRA and based on my excellent experience with their previous products, I decided to pay a good bit more for what they are offering.  

Now, the .350 Legend that AR-Stoner is offering is now well under $300 on Midway.  With that price and the increasing number of .355” bullet options coming out specifically for AR hunting, it’s definitely tempting.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    I have the strike Eagle 1-6 on my 6.8spc that I like a lot. At first I wished I had gotten the 1-8, but for my use it stays around 2 or 3 anyways. Being in your location you will get much longer shot opportunities though. Brownells had a great sale which included a mount. They are pretty decent scopes in my opinion 

Diver, have you killed game with the 6.8 and if so, how did it perform? And what bullet do you recommend?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    Diver43 said:

Diver, have you killed game with the 6.8 and if so, how did it perform? And what bullet do you recommend?
    Sadly have not shot anything alive yet.
    It shoots excellent groups at 100 yards with Hornady 110gr v-max, about a quarter for 5 shots with one flyer.
    Hornady 120 gr sst opened up a bit, but still a decent group.
    Now that it has cooled off a bit 70s at night low 80s during the day, after the Holidays I plan to get a hog.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Diver43 said:

Snake...I have killed a bunch of deer and coyote with my 6.8 using 110 grain Hornady BTHP Match bullets...I have also had good luck with the 120 grain SST.

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    In case anyone else is interested (Zee?...), since I ordered my 450 BM upper, Midway dropped the price another $40 for their AR Stoner brand. Complete upper with BCG for $240. Nothing fancy by any means. But it has potential for that price.. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019500940?pid=466691

knitepoet said:
    Jay said:
    In case anyone else is interested (Zee?...), since I ordered my 450 BM upper, Midway dropped the price another $40 for their AR Stoner brand. Complete upper with BCG for $240. Nothing fancy by any means. But it has potential for that price.. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019500940?pid=466691

If I wasn't all in on my 'wulf ( upper, brass, dies and 1k 334gr Rainier HP's, I'd be all over that)
    Yeah, that’s an insanely good price.  Worth the interest if someone in the market to try it, without a doubt.
    That is cheaper than the Bear Creek Arsenal upper I bought for my .450.

Great deal
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Holy crap that is cheap! Mine was $679.99 in March 2018. I had to look it up, but at least I didn't spend real money,  just Cabela's points that paid for it.