Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Meanwhile, in Virginia...

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,291 Senior Member
    Hopefully people will surprise us tomorrow with civility. The consequences for the extremist driver that committed vehicular mayhem were well reported.

Lawful policy will always hold the greatest reward.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,499 Senior Member

. . .Gun culture does this by becoming more inclusive and bringing in people from all walks of life. We need black, gay trans people toting guns and wearing rainbow skirts filling up our ranges. We need lesbian vegans concealed carrying glocks. We need muslim women firing ARs while wearing a hijab. We need hasidic Jews busting clays. We need hipsters hunting. 

As long as gun culture is viewed exclusively as white men driving pickup trucks, wearing camo, we lose. . .
    Well, here's the rub - "gun culture" contains and is driven by a certain spirit of independence - - more than a few folks who's character is cast from the Daniel Boone mould - "If you can see the smoke rising from your neighbor's chimney off on the horizon, they're too close and it's time to move"

It isn't even that we have anything against any of those groups that you mention; just that we're not interested in their company - - or even the company of many people that we may share common interests with.  As I like to say, "The best time to spend shooting on the range is after everybody else leaves"  It's hard to be inclusive when your desire is to frequently exclude YOURSELF.  

The Second Amendment to me is all about the right to, as Fleetwood Mac says "Go Your Own Way".  The LGBT's, blacks, feminists, Jews, vegans, whatever, should start grasping that this applies to them as well.   Our best bet is probably to politely point that out to them.  Really, we have to view it as getting all of these disparate groups united for our right NOT to be unified - if that makes sense. 

Think of it this way:  start being an advocate for individualism rather than your own personal identity block.  Only when people realize that the only absolute guarantee they have to continue being gay Jewish black vegan feminists is the ability to point a pistol in the face of anyone who tells them they can't, will the case for RTKABA will be secured.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2 New Member
    The current state of affairs in VA and its accompanying news coverage is making adding a new dimension to the gun control issue that is good for gun owners.  If the size of the demonstration is as predicted it will get national news coverage. And that is what gun rights advocates need.  For too long the Anti 2 crowd has been in the spotlight and getting the lions share of news coverage.  

I subscribe to Apple News and follow  FOX, The Hill. Reuters, CNN, MSNBC, Business Insider, and a few others.  The VA rally is getting international coverage.  If the pro gun attendees behave, and I think they will, it will reflect well upon those of us who re responsible gun owners. The VACDL (VA Civil Defense League) is doing a masterful job at orchestrating this protest.  If they get out the thousands of VA gun owners that they project the message to America will be that many people are responsible gun owners advocating for their 2A Rights.  That will contrast with the over publicized Anti message that people with guns are dangerous.  I just made a donation to the VACDL.  

[B]Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.[/B]........... Theodore Roosevelt
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

Think of it this way:  start being an advocate for individualism rather than your own personal identity block.  Only when people realize that the only absolute guarantee they have to continue being gay Jewish black vegan feminists is the ability to point a pistol in the face of anyone who tells them they can't, will the case for RTKABA will be secured.

Well said. Sadly, the concept of individualism is mostly lost on the left. The greater good is the mantra, the individual is somehow less. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,189 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    Bigslug said:

Well said. Sadly, the concept of individualism is mostly lost on the left. The greater good is the mantra, the individual is somehow less. 

It is also lost on some on the Right as well.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 887 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:

Why shouldn’t it be lost.  After all nobody ever did anything good on their own.  It took a village.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    AllenR said:
    The current state of affairs in VA and its accompanying news coverage is making adding a new dimension to the gun control issue that is good for gun owners.  If the size of the demonstration is as predicted it will get national news coverage. And that is what gun rights advocates need.  For too long the Anti 2 crowd has been in the spotlight and getting the lions share of news coverage.  

I subscribe to Apple News and follow  FOX, The Hill. Reuters, CNN, MSNBC, Business Insider, and a few others.  The VA rally is getting international coverage.  If the pro gun attendees behave, and I think they will, it will reflect well upon those of us who re responsible gun owners. The VACDL (VA Civil Defense League) is doing a masterful job at orchestrating this protest.  If they get out the thousands of VA gun owners that they project the message to America will be that many people are responsible gun owners advocating for their 2A Rights.  That will contrast with the over publicized Anti message that people with guns are dangerous.  I just made a donation to the VACDL.  

If anything happens at the demonstration, the lame stream media will be sure to spin it against us responsible gun owners...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    zorba said:
    CaliFFL said:
    Bigslug said:

It is also lost on some on the Right as well.

True, but scaled way down. The left uses climate change as a justification to control everything. And I mean everything. Plastic bags, lead ammo, cows, fossil fuels, ad nauseum is targeted because "we need to save the planet". In reality, this is a means to control the populace. When travel, self defense, food, and inexpensive goods are diminished, the individual is forced to depend on Uncle Sugar. 

I don't see the right doing this on this magnitude. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Accipiter said:
    CaliFFL said:

Why shouldn’t it be lost.  After all nobody ever did anything good on their own.  It took a village.
    I remember, I didn't build that. 

Adam J. McCleod

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,499 Senior Member
    Accipiter said:
    CaliFFL said:

It took a village (San Francisco) to raise that idiot (Nancy Pelosi)

Would you describe that as a hive mind making honey from opium poppies and feeding it to their larvae?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Xactly
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    Accipiter said:
    Xactly
    I saw what you did there. :)

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,650 Senior Member
    It's approaching 11:00AM in VA, so far, all I've seen about it is on the local news crawler, saying it's planned and thousands are expected to attend. I've also switched over to Fox News a few times and haven't seen anything.

Unless something bad happens, it appears the msm has responded with a resounding "MEH" regarding the whole thing
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

NewsMax had live coverage, interviews, etc.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    -Thomas Paine
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 335 Member
    I watched some of the live streaming.  Saw no issues.  I read an estimate of 35,000.  Don't know if its accurate but there were a lot there.  Saw one guy carrying a Barrett on his shoulder, lots of slung ARs.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,801 Senior Member
    MSLSD calls it a "a swarming of the capitol by white nationalists."
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Does anyone think this large yet peaceful protest will result in the VA democrats withdrawing the proposed legislation? 

Or will the dems pass the laws; regardless of the 2A people or the sanctuary cities/counties?  

Then what? VA residents vote them out at the next cycle and hope the new GOP reps repeal the law? 

I find it ironic the VA governor was concerned about potential violence, but his laws are backed by actual violence. 

Adam J. McCleod

No
    Yes 
    Yes

Agree

The real question is what do they do if the repubs lose, or win and fail to repeal the laws?

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

edited January 2020 #112
    Civility bought credibility for gaining control of the narrative.

The courts and ballot box are next.

Edit.
    PBS News Hour just reported the polls show people in favor of the new infringements hold a substantial majority.

There was a single arrest the entire time. It was a 21 year old woman that refused to take a bandanna off of her face after being asked to do so....

-Thomas Paine
    edited January 2020 #114
    PBS News Hour just reported the polls show people in favor of the new infringements hold a substantial majority.

I am not sure of the specifics of that poll, but many of them are misleading. If I asked everyone here if they wanted to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, most would say yes-- but it doesn't mean we want more gun control. Many of those polls count the "yes" as support for additional firearm restrictions.
    -Thomas Paine
    I definitely agree with news poll scepticism. The reporting of poll numbers regardless of accuracy, shape public opinion. Im not sure how much, but assuming media outlet intentions of bias, the amount is surely significant.
    A few years back, when Obama was touting that 87% want more gun control number, I looked into the actual poll... it had those questions phrased that way. It was hugely misleading.

(An exaggeration) Question:Should 3 year olds have unrestricted access to AR 15's?
    Answer: No.
    Conclusion: 99% of respondents support age restrictions for assault rifles.
    (then of course they use that to justify raising the age to purchase a long gun to 21)
    -Thomas Paine
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,956 Senior Member
    Nothing bad happened.  Amazing no? 😴
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Could it be because the armed bad guys knew they were outnumbered by the armed good guys 10,000 to 1?  :)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,956 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Could it be because the armed bad guys knew they were outnumbered by the armed good guys 10,000 to 1?  :)

Mike
    Could be 🤣🤣🤣
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

edited January 2020 #120
    Mass civil disobedience per the sanctuary counties/cities?