Home Main Category General Firearms

Athlon scopes

BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
edited December 2019 in General Firearms #1
Any opinions?  Looking at a 6.5-24 x50.  Lifetime warranty, glass is very clear First foal plane.  Decent looking reticle.  .1 mil adjustments. 619.00.  From what I've read they have a decent rep.

Replies

• BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
    Found it on Amazon for 549

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,204 Senior Member
    Did this thread start out about "Stalin Scopes"?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited December 2019 #4
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Auto correct sucks
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    I have no personal experience, but in long range circles they seem to be regarded as pretty good optics for the money. For what that's worth. 

I may end up with one when I finally convert my High Power rifle to optics. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Auto correct sucks
    Auto correct is your worst enema
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I have no personal experience, but in long range circles they seem to be regarded as pretty good optics for the money. For what that's worth. 

That's pretty much what i've heard.  Thanks
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,044 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    BamaakII said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Auto correct sucks
    Auto correct is your worst enema
    Dear Autocorrect:  It's never "duck"

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,821 Senior Member

Must be a different circle on long range shooters than the ones I know of.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,044 Senior Member
    Pegasus said:

What feedback do you hear, Peg?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Pegasus said:

What feedback do you hear, Peg?

That's just it; I don't hear ANY feedback because I know of no long range competitor who uses Athlon scopes.  This is why I was saying that SS3 had a different circle of shooters compared to the one I frequent.

Now it must be said that F-class shooters, as a rule, especially at the higher levels, are the very embodiment of what some here would term as an Optic Snob.  So take it from there.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    That's not what I've heard them called.   ;)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    That's not what I've heard them called.   ;)

Mike

What, the Athlon scopes?
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    No, F-Class shooters.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    edited December 2019 #15
    No, F-Class shooters.

Oh, I see.  My mistake.

F-Class shooter are VERY snooty; they empty their noses in your general direction.  They think they walk on water and are phenomenal shooters; without peer.

They look down on everybody, using very high priced optics.

At the last F-Class national in Raton, I was looking at the line and figured there was about $2 million worth of equipment on the firing line.

Insane.  And yet, so much fun.

And we don't have Athlon scopes.

;)
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #16
    Pegasus said:
    No, F-Class shooters.

Oh, I see.  My mistake.

F-Class shooter are VERY snooty; they empty their noses in your general direction.  They think they walk on water and are phenomenal shooters; without peer.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    The same factories in China/Philippines/Taiwan/Japan are making Vortex, Primary Arms, Athlon, etc.  You get what you pay for and in this case that is how much QC/QA those brands want to pay for.

The premium Vortex and Primary Arms scopes are really, really good.  You pay accordingly. 

If you want something for non-serious use, the mid-level Vortex and PA glass will suit the needs.

I don't know much about Athlon, they do have a $1000+ scope model so I'm sure that one is ok.  No experience otherwise.

Glass is cheap by the way.  Your dollars go to buy the turret/erector mechanism and how well made and repeatable it is.  Bear that in mind.  Brass versus steel, stamping versus CNC machining, yada yada.

What gun is it for?
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    edited January 2020 #18
    JasonMPD said:
    (snip)

Glass is cheap by the way.  Your dollars go to buy the turret/erector mechanism and how well made and repeatable it is.  Bear that in mind.  Brass versus steel, stamping versus CNC machining, yada yada.

What gun is it for?
    The highlighted statement is incorrect; glass is not cheap and the better the quality of the glass the more expensive it is.  ED glass is expensive, Super-ED glass is more so and Fluorite crystal glass is very expensive.  Add to that the various coatings and so on.

The cost structure in a riflescope are glass, components, assembly (probably the highest single cost), warranty and yes, the brand name.

The work required to assemble a high end scope (especially one with high magnification and zoom ratio) is quite demanding and requires a high degree of skill.

Glass costs, and good glass costs more.

I disagree.  C'est la vis. 
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD said:

What do you mean "it's the screw?"

Perhaps you meant, "c'est la vie?"  "It's life."
    Pegasus said:
    JasonMPD said:

Sure?
    JasonMPD said:
    Pegasus said:
    JasonMPD said:

Sure?

Positive.
    Everyone does not need or can afford $5000.00scopes.  The most I will ever shoot is 600 yards and that may be once or twice a year At CMP for fun. 200 yards is where most rounds will be shot so I'm ok with what you don't care for.  I may be a trigger snob but not a scope snob
    BamaakII said:
    Everyone does not need or can afford $5000.00scopes.  The most I will ever shoot is 600 yards and that may be once or twice a year At CMP for fun. 200 yards is where most rounds will be shot so I'm ok with what you don't care for.  I may be a trigger snob but not a scope snob

I suspect the above response was meant for me.  If I'm wrong. oh well...

At any rate, I never said that I don't care for Athlon scopes.  All I said was that contrary to SS3, I had never seen an Athlon scope on a highpower line and that we snooty F-Class shooters do not have Athlon scopes.  Then I corrected Jason's French.

That said, I'm sure it will do well for your stated needs, though I'm not clear why you think it's a horse of a scope.
    I ended up with a vortex viper 6.5 -20x50.  Free set of vortex rings included.  Good or bad we'll see. I know the rifle will out shoot my abilities so hopefully the scope is better than me also.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    I ended up with a vortex viper 6.5 -20x50.  Free set of vortex rings included.  Good or bad we'll see. I know the rifle will out shoot my abilities so hopefully the scope is better than me also.
    I have that scope on a Remington 700 in .223.  I think you will find it to be a lot of scope for the money spent.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Pegasus said:
    JasonMPD said:
    Pegasus said:
    JasonMPD said:

Sure?

Positive.
    It was a dismissal of your pedantic nature of overly correcting people for mundane errors; not a question. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #28
    I went for years buying what many here consider entry level scopes(Leupold VX-1s, Nikon Prostaff and Buckmaster and such) and was totally satisfied for what I used them for. Finally, after years of defending them I caved and bought what, at that time, seemed to be the sweet heart scope of this forum, the Leupld VX-3. Now, I never hear of anyone using Leupold VX-3s of any flavor. I've had one 4.5-14x56 VX-3L for a few years now and then last year, 2018, I went full tilt bozo and over a few months bought 4, 3.5-10X40 VX-3is. OK so I've moved up in the world but I can't keep up around here it seems. Now everybody seems to be buying Night Force, Zeiss, and uber level Leupolds for $600-$2000 or more. But here goes again, for my eyes and the way I hunt, these VX-3is are the bees knees for me. But I guess I'm still slumming, LOL!

On another forum I frequent, SWFA and Meopta seemed to be the favored optics by the majority, I think that's mainly because one of the older forum members sells them. I'd never  heard of SWFA and I thought Meopta was an off brand, but apparently not. They are made in the Czech Republic.

I have heard of Athlon but never had any experience with them.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    JasonMPD said:
    Pegasus said:
    JasonMPD said:
    Pegasus said:
    JasonMPD said:

Sure?

Positive.
    It was a dismissal of your pedantic nature of overly correcting people for mundane errors; not a question. 

Then why use a question mark?
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    Pegasus said:

Then why use a question mark?
    Because he figured you wouldn't get it. He was right.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,541 Senior Member
    Pegasus said:
    No, F-Class shooters.

Oh, I see.  My mistake.

At the last F-Class national in Raton, I was looking at the line and figured there was about $2 million worth of equipment on the firing line.

Insane.  And yet, so much fun.

And we don't have Athlon scopes.

;)
    How many shooters on the firing line at one of these shindigs?