Home Main Category Hunting

Quick friday evening hunt

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 343 Member
At this time of the year lenght of the day here in Finland is pretty short, little over six hours here in southern part of the country.
despite of that I managed to squueze in a short hunting tip into my schedule today. 
I drove the one hour drive to my hunting area and I was ”inside” the small spruce by the field at 2.15 p.m. The Sun was setting around 3.20 p.m today. That meant that I had about two hours of hunting time ahead of me as it would be too dark to shoot or see anything as we don’t have snow yet.

i sat by the field and enjoyed the peace and quiet. At 4.p.m it was getting very dark and I knew I had to leave within ten minutes. But then at 4.04 p.m. I suddenly saw three deer on the field, about 150 yards away from me. Doe and two fawns. Fawns we already pretty big at this time of the year. I didn’t have any time to waist so I quicly put my Zeiss’ red dot on other fawns shoulder and pulled the Mauser’s trigger.
Big, orange and yellowe muzzle flash blinded me for a second and after I recovered from that I saw that one fawn was missing and other was standing with the doe. Shoud I shoot another fawn too? Naah, I didn’t want to be greedy and desided to let it run away. Which it did after a few seconds. Then I saw a dark lump on the field and I knew the game was over for the other fawn.
Walked through the soaking wet and muddy field to pick up the young buck/fawn. It already had small buttons on it’s head.

All that was left was to drag it to my car about 450 yards. Luckily I had taken my self built game cart with me.

At home I understood that it had collapsed on the spot as the bullet went through spine and shoulder blade on the exit side.
It was a deer number six for me in this season. Third for my new rifle.

I would like to wish Merry Christmas to members of this forum!
To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies