Home Main Category General Firearms

Best deal on guns you've made

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,575 Senior Member
I've got a couple of deals on guns, being in the right place at the right time.  Probably the best two I've gotten was

(!).  A Remington Nylon 66, in Seneca Green.  Paid $125 for it earlier this year.  A Nylon 66 is a great rifle and they made a lot of them but what makes this one special is the color of the stock.  Seneca Green.  Not many of them ever made.  It's in 98% condition.  When I bought it from a guy I thought it was a brown gun, which is what the most of them are, got it outside and saw it was not another brown gun.  Look it up on GB and you won't see many and they're pricy.

(2) A Mauser sporter, made in 1919-10, in 8mm J, not JS, (the "J" is really an "I", as in "Infantry", they just write it differently in Germany).  Can't remember how much I paid for it, I bought it because it looked good.  Since then I did research and found that it started off as a sporting rifle, not a customized military rifle at all.  Back when I bought it, I think I posted it and I think the price, too, but that post is long gone and I've forgotten what I paid..

What were your sweet deals on guns?
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #2
    Bought an unmolested  Chilean Mauser for $129 only to find out here, I think through Antonio, that one of them in the original chambering of 7.65 is a pretty rare beast.  Sold it about a year later to a collector for close to $1,000.  

I’m always looking for a deal in guns so it’s not unusual for me to get great deals on buys of opportunity.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Walked into WalMart at 6 am one Sunday for a tube of toothpaste and walked out with a NIB Browning A-Bolt for $450. An employee had written his name all over the box, put it on layaway, and shortly thereafter got fired. The sporting goods manager was laughing as he rung it up, saying, "Man, this is your lucky day. I can't sell it as new, and it costs way too much to send it back".

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    A neighbor once asked what I knew about guns.  I said a little.  He said I have this AK, do you think I can get 125.00 for it.  I only said it depends on what shape it is in and if it has anything bad in its history.  Said it had been sitting in the back of his closet for 10 years and just wanted to get rid of it.  I went to the ATM and got 160.00.  According to BigDan it is worth a whole lot more than that.

At a gun show, I saw a NIB EO Tech 512 on a table.  Asked the guy how much and he said I guess about 50 bucks.  I gave him the money thinking maybe it is a Chinese knock off or something.  Started checking when I got home and the next week called EO Tech, its for real one of theirs.   Guess the guy that sold it to me was the owners father and had no idea what it was.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Had some cash burning a hole in my pocket and headed to my local gun shop up in Gypsum Kansas and walked out with an NIB Old Model .45 Colt Ruger Vaquero 7.5". In the original box, with papers and shipping sleeve.
    2nd year production for $375.00
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,502 Senior Member
    Probably the 1899 Savage take down in .38-55, one of the rarest calibers 'cause it was discontinued in 1914. Paid $400 'cause "you can't buy the ammo at Walmart!!"

Followed by the pristine 1881 Marlin in .40-65 for $800.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #7
    Sounds like some good deals, there.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #8
    I had a LGS where I used to live that was a honey hole for revolvers, and I picked up a Security Six and a Redhawk .44, each for under $400.

With that said, bar none the best deal I've gotten was witnessed by Bullsi and Big Chief at a range in Central Texas, where I found a very good condition S&W 48-4 8 3/8" barrel in .22 WMR for $250 because it was "broken." One $15 ejector pin later, and it's 100%.

With that said, my local range has a Remington 700 ADL .30-06 (old style w/ wood stock) and Redfield scope listed for $250 right now. I may cave on that one if its still available after the new year, and keep it as a loaner/backup rifle.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    Probably the "best" was my R51, for $199 from an online pawnshop whose name I've forgotten. Rural King reportedly has them for the same price right now. Not bad for a handgun that originally sold for about $450 - only time will tell if it was worth it or not, but so far so good!
    Wait! Better than that was my LC9s on a blowout sale from PSA - paid $239 for it which is less than I see even EC9ses going for now. Thank you Big Chief for finding that smokin' deal for me!
    Now the luckiest find was probably the Ruger Wranger that I was able to get about a month to the day after its announcement, and furthermore was able to pick it up on my way to the SE shoot. That was from RK as well, the price was decent enough, but not exceptional - but I was really glad to get the gun because they were hard to find at that time and were for months afterwards.
    My WW II era Walther PP was a pretty decent deal too.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
    I paid 200.00 for a mint polish p64.  Probably never go up much but i thought it was a good deal.  Looking at prices going up. My Garand and mosin nAgant have appreciated pretty well.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    1908 Oberndorf Mauser Model B Sporter in 10.75X68.
    It wasnt a deal......One of my friends who also grew Orchid flowers for export suffered a heart attack in the middle of the export season. I stepped into the breach ( no pun intended) and by working 20+ hrs a day, 7 days a week for 5 weeks managed to get both his crop and mine picked, graded, packed and exported.

When he was back on his feet he showed up one day with a rifle bag, handed it to me along with 50 rds of Eley factory loads and told me to go shoot it.......which I did. When I tried to return it he told me he wanted me to have it as a thank you for what I did.

He later gave me a Mauser in 8x57J when I took possession of all his firearms and sold them on his behalf.
    Then there are the 4 pre 64 Model 70 Winchesters I bought at auction from a deceased collector............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 807 Senior Member
    Local high school teacher called and asked if I was interested in a couple of guns that he’d like to sell because they were moving.  One of the guns was an unfired, still has the price tag on it, Marlin 1894 in .357.  Bought it for $600.  I love that gun, it is not unfired anymore.  The other one was an SKS, bought for $300, sold for $350 a few weeks later.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,044 Senior Member
    I had a LGS where I used to live that was a honey hole for revolvers, and I picked up a Security Six and a Redhawk .44, each for under $400.

With that said, bar none the best deal I've gotten was witnessed by Bullsi and Big Chief at a range in Central Texas, where I found a very good condition S&W 48-4 8 3/8" barrel in .22 WMR for $250 because it was "broken." One $15 ejector pin later, and it's 100%.

With that said, my local range has a Remington 700 ADL .30-06 (old style w/ wood stock) and Redfield scope listed for $250 right now. I may cave on that one if its still available after the new year, and keep it as a loaner/backup rifle.
    Yeah, I should have bought that first.  Smoking deal.

Best one I ever bought was a Helwan Brigadier (license built copy of the Beretta 1950 built in Egypt) 9mm.  Bought it for $75.  Great shooter... Had it for 2 weeks before it was stolen.  That was back in 1994

Recently, it would be the European surplus S&W Model 10-6 I got for under $300 a few weeks ago.  This thing is an incredible shooter, and was dirt cheap.... and they JUST got another shipment in.  Thinking of getting a second one.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Walked into WalMart at 6 am one Sunday for a tube of toothpaste and walked out with a NIB Browning A-Bolt for $450. An employee had written his name all over the box, put it on layaway, and shortly thereafter got fired. The sporting goods manager was laughing as he rung it up, saying, "Man, this is your lucky day. I can't sell it as new, and it costs way too much to send it back".

Mike
    Back in 1995ish I saw a Remington 1100 20ga on the rack in Walmart for $250. Went back the next day and they were all gone (later saw all 5 at a LGS for $450).

Couple weeks later I was walking past the counter and a girl was trying to put the barrel on one to put back in the case that an employee had on hold. I asked the price and it was still $250........ my brother has it now.

A year later they had 10/22 Stainless Internationals for $150...... same same. This was pre credit card in my wallet time. Came back the next day and all were gone. Saw all of them at the same LGS for $250....

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #15
    The best deals I’ve probably ever run across in a gun shop were my 5.5” Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag and Ruger No.1 A Light Sporter in .30-06 Springfield 

Both were ridiculously cheap for their going price and I’m very fortunate to have them. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 671 Senior Member
    I bought a Colt Python for $600 with all the original papers and the box of ammo the old timer bought with the gun. The box was missing 6 rounds. He said he bought it shot it 6 times and it was just to much gun for him so he put it in the safe. Years later he was cleaning out the safe and just wanted his money back for it. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #17
    As for not song ago, probably I would nominate the Star BM9, a fine, well made pistol, like a mini 1911-well, kinda.  As I recall, $220 plus shipping.

I bought a 16 gauge SxS off the web; a Sears version of the Savage 311 for about the same price.  I wasn't expecting much, but when it arrived  it's beautiful.  New bluing, walnut stock, neidner style steel butt plate.  I figure it was some gunsmith school's magna opus for graduation, because who else would spend the time and money on a cheap shotgun.

And I got a No 4 LE, I think a gunsmith school gun...Fajen stock, five round magazine, a very handsome but blocky rifle. It even had a scope mount.  (Fed Ex directly, to my door, which was wrong...how did that happen?)The bolt head is a #1, which indicates very little wear.  Most of the writing had been polished off,  but in the corner, I saw the number 4, so my conclusion.  Very good bluing, a fine job all the way.  Probably the smith bought the gun way back when they were $15 or so.  A project gun. For my preferences, I'd much rather have an unmolested No 4 Enfield, but that ain't gonna happen for what little $$$ I have in it.

Could be wrong about the gunsmith school connection, but there it is.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,044 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    As for not song ago, probably I would nominate the Star BM9, a fine, well made pistol, like a mini 1911-well, kinda.  As I recall, $220 plus shipping.

I agree on the Star BM. I have really been enjoying mine.  Solid little shooter
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 329 Member
    No deals for me. Went so far as to overpay on a auction item. Regret that but can't turn back the clock. Maybe I'll be a little wiser next time.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I traded a $350 Walmart special Winchester M70 .270 with a cheap scope straight up for a pre-64 Winchester Model 88 chambered in .284 wearing an older 4x Leupold scope.  The best part is that the guy I traded with was happy with the trade because he didn't like paying high prices for the .284 ammo.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I bought a Colt Python for $600 with all the original papers and the box of ammo the old timer bought with the gun. The box was missing 6 rounds. He said he bought it shot it 6 times and it was just to much gun for him so he put it in the safe. Years later he was cleaning out the safe and just wanted his money back for it. 
    I'm starting to hate you just a little bit. But if you'll take my 686 in trade, I'm sure we'll return to pre-post levels.

Mike
    N454casull
    I traded a $350 Walmart special Winchester M70 .270 with a cheap scope straight up for a pre-64 Winchester Model 88 chambered in .284 wearing an older 4x Leupold scope.  The best part is that the guy I traded with was happy with the trade because he didn't like paying high prices for the .284 ammo.
    Okay. For the second time in a week you win the internet.
    Mike
    N454casull
    @jbp-ohio
    I have a fifty year old Stevens 20 ga SxS that's the best rabbit gun I've ever owned. But a 20 gauge 1100 has been on my lust list forever.
    Mike
    N454casull
    Mike
    Oh I’m starting to hate him a little 🤬
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    Bought an SKS at a,gun show for $84. Wish I had bought a crate full.

Bought a like new Revelation .22 single shot for $15. It was a tack driver until I let a cousin borrow it and broke the front sight.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,927 Senior Member
    Paid 100 dollars less for my stainless super blackhawk then the blued one was going for, they got a good deal on it and past it on. some years back paid 75.00 for an unfired Single Six in 22 mag, lady wanted it out of her house after divorce. Got my colt woodsman match target 3rd series for 315.

edited December 2019 #27
    A friend of the family traded me a near mint Colt Hunstman in the box made in 1958 for a Kel-Tec .380 even though I told him it was a very uneven trade.  He just wanted a light pocket gun.  I gifted him a ton of ammo for the pistol to try to make up the difference.

I also got a Python 4” and a S&W 610 as gifts from an older great friend who stopped shooting and his kids had no interest in guns.  Outright anti-gunners.  He has since passed away.  I guess free guns for a great friendship is a good deal.  
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    This one by far.

It is a special order  Model 25-2 pinto. It is the only one known.
     Everything on the gun lettered including the special barrel length.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I bought a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 .40 cal carbine for $275 back around 2003.  As a novelty shooter, it was used very little.  

During the Obama gun panic, I sold it on consignment for over $600.  Talk about a good return on investment!  It wasn’t a purchase, but it was definitely the best current gun deal I have completed.

I currently own a 8” Colt Anaconda in .44 mag that I bought new around the same time for around $900.  Based on current blue book values, it’s worth about 3x that amount.  It won’t get sold, but if my kids ever want to move it when I’m gone, they’ll be sitting pretty.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    I picked up an 1881 Marlin, for $400.  The guy at the gun shop thought it was a beat up 1895.
      I recently snagged a Range Officer Elite Operator for $650, with 4 mags.  2 CMC, 2 Springfield. 
    Maybe the best was a 70s era Remington 700 HV.  243. 24", high lustre blue, beautiful stock. A guy at work needed cash.  It came in a Browning leather, sherpa lined case.  $400. It's maybe the most accurate rifle I own, shoots .250" routinely.
    There's one at the local Cabelas with an $1100 price tag.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Mike
    Oh I’m starting to hate him a little 🤬
    Did I mention that the rifle appraised for $1200?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.