Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Trump's Economic Policies (Stock Market Performance)

NomadacNomadac Senior MemberPosts: 902 Senior Member
I am amazed at those that have "Trump Derangement Syndrome" and would never vote for him or would vote for a Democrat.

Trump may not be perfect but he is light years ahead of the typical Politician running for President.

I watch and follow the Dow Jones Stock Market performance since he was elected in 2017.

Under Obama from Jan. 2014 17,823 to Jan. 2016 19,762 the market rose 1939 points.

Under Trump from Jan. 2017  19,882 to Jan. 2019  28,455 the market rose 8573 points
the largest increase in decades.

With the lowest unemployed for all groups, higher wages for workers and more Businesses forecasting new plants this is the best time in decades.

I watch FOX Business ch. daily to monitor what is happening in the market.

The the Majority of Economist do not think we will have a recession and the market will continue to grow.

So if you prefer to vote for a Democrat on Nov. 3rd, 2020, wait for the Democrats to raise taxes and destroy our economy, and put our Economy into a Recession, etc.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,111 Senior Member
    I skimmed through this link from the impeachment thread.
    http://www.magapill.com/

Well the content seems a bit creative, listing some accomplishments multiple times. I do concede that the economy seems to be doing very well under his leadership.

My personal finances have not entertained significant improvement. In all fairness some of that began in the Obama years.

The stock market seems fickle to me, and I reserve judgement in view for sustained prosperity.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    edited December 2019 #4
    Here is the DOW under various administrations.

-Thomas Paine
    S&P 500 under various administrations....

-Thomas Paine
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,304 Senior Member
    Jerm, I see your graphs, and there are others that show the opposite.  My first hand knowledge is that my TSP account lost 38K under Obama. In the lat 2 1/2 years it gained it back and then some.  I am no finance guy and now that I am approaching retirement since gaining my loss and some back my money is in safer investments.  But bottom line is I lost under Obama and quickly gained it back plus some under Trump.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,021 Senior Member
    My 401 has gone up 175% since 2016!!
    Diver43 said:
    Jerm, I see your graphs, and there are others that show the opposite.  My first hand knowledge is that my TSP account lost 38K under Obama. In the lat 2 1/2 years it gained it back and then some.  I am no finance guy and now that I am approaching retirement since gaining my loss and some back my money is in safer investments.  But bottom line is I lost under Obama and quickly gained it back plus some under Trump.

Take what you will from my links. For or against Trump, everyone is going to believe whatever they want to believe so it doesn't really matter. Objectively, Trump is following pretty close to what George HW Bush was doing this far into office. The markets track very closely when you compare the two.

I am glad that both yours and BigAl's retirement is making gains under Trump. I sincerely do.
    -Thomas Paine
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    My broker must be doing something right as my Stock Portfolio has increased 241% from January 2019 to this December, and the year is not over yet.

I still will stick with Trump as President.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Investments can (should?) be politically motivated. When a democrat POTUS is mandating green energy, invest accordingly. When states legalize recreational cannabis, there are piles of money to be made. 

Same with investing in defense contractors when a republican is in office. 

Keep ~50% in a "normal" portfolio. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,494 Senior Member
    What the graphs say are one thing, but I prefer actual real world performance. Obama said that we would live with 1-2% growth and that was the "new normal" we had to live with forever. I did a little better than that, but after the drop during the recession it took years to recover to where I was at the beginning of his term. I am pretty sure the term used is "worst recovery in history".

If you accept the premise that the pres does not affect the economy, the numbers he put up are the same as Trumps. I dont. Regan came into a recession and economy much worse that Obama, policy rolled the US out of it, then drove the economic engine to produce.

His numbers are the same but the situation was different. He was weak on the economy and there was never a recovery. Yes he gained 33%, but the market had just lost that much so it was a net zero. The years after that were all GDP @ = inflation and we were breaking even trying to get out of the hole. I think at year 5 I matched what I had prior to Obama in the 401K. Post that where the US basically slimed out of the hole, growth was still anemic.
    Since Trump, the 5% gains last years Obama (for my 401K) have been replaced by 12.06% (last 3 year avg) YTD and 1 year total are going to bring the avg up but I dont like to use snapshots.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,494 Senior Member
    And..

This is also not taking into consideration that the sub prime meltdown, a result of govt interference in the market playing the race card and inserting social justice BS into banking at the point of a gun, was SOLELY responsible for the recession at the end of Bushes term.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Despite Democratic claims. Trump economy delivers major working class boost.

• BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 322 Member
    You can't dispute things like record employment, record unemployment for all, not just white America.  Manufacturing coming back, record growth in the economy.  If business leaders are going in debt, its their own greed driving it.  Sort of like the mismanagement of the auto industry in the 70s and 80s.
    Rank-and-File Workers Get Bigger Raises Than Bosses.

Another example of why the Economy is booming.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,304 Senior Member
    Nomadac said:
    Rank-and-File Workers Get Bigger Raises Than Bosses.

Another example of why the Economy is booming.

"Another factor supporting the lowest-paid workers is a wave of minimum-wage increases. Twenty-nine states have increased minimum wages above the federal level, and 21 of those will lift the level again in 2020. For example, the minimum wage will increase 12.5% in Washington state, to $13.50 an hour."
    Te democrats keep pushing for more and more, employers will not be able to pay that much so the jobs will go away. Then they will blame loss of jobs on Trump.  See, some of us have caught onto the game the Dems are playing.  Alpha, we have shared meals, toasted with adult beverages, shot guns, and laughed together. I know you are smarter than the people that believe the crap being put out there. Why do you go along with it?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5