Home Main Category Clubhouse

Dad passed

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,401 Senior Member
on Sat night. He has been in and out of the hosp for a year or so with congestive heart failure and last weekend he had fluid IN his lungs also. So breathing wasnt great. They tested him and found his throat wasnt working well. Basically he was aspirating any fluid into his lungs. They hit him with a drug that is normally end of life, and it seemed to work for a day. I was there for a bit Sat, left at 7 as he was falling to sleep, said I would see him tomorrow, got a call about 830P. I had talked to the doc a few days prior and she said this was a one way trip at this point so I had my head wrapped around it.

He grew up on a farm with no power, an outhouse, and running water because the spring was uphill. Plowed with horses when he was to small to pick up the cultivators unless the horses were moving. Was a MP in Okinawa during the Korean war. Went into construction and started his own business. Quit pretty far ahead in the game. He did a lot more in his life than I have and had a good run in 87 years.

I have kept busy moving his stuff out of his place and getting that finalized so there isnt another payment for Jan. This executor stuff is a pain, but it is keeping me busy, which is a good thing. The worst part about it being over the holidays is that no one is open who I need to be and it is going to stretch this out.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,098 Senior Member
    Our condolences for your loss
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,051 Senior Member
    So sorry to hear of your loss. This time of year has to be especially tough. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,829 Senior Member
    My deepest condolences.  Sound like he was a heck of a man.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,932 Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss.  Sounds like he was a heck of a guy.  My Dad was a MP in Korea during the same time frame.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    My sincerest condolences.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,677 Senior Member
    Condolences - and may he Dance In Joy! It hurts when we lose a parent.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Me and mine are keeping you and yours I, our thought. Hard times, especially at this time of year...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,094 Senior Member
    Condolences to you and yours.

Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,647 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about your loss, been down that road myself this year, take care.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    Wow, that is tough, man.  Very sorry for your loss.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,815 Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss. 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    Please accept condolences to you and yours from Clean and me.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    The Lord called your dad home at a very special time, take comfort in that.
    He sounds like a very special spirit and I'm sure he'll be greatly missed. Me and my family will keep you and your family in our prayers while you make this difficult adjustment.
    I'm certain your dad still smiles down on you all. 😇
    Family members never really leave. Take care.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    I don’t know if there is ever a good time to lose a dad, but it seems like around holidays would make it especially sad.  Condolences.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 236 Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss .
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,400 Senior Member
    Condolences on the loss of your Dad. Deaths around the holidays are hard; had to deal with that with my Mom. Hang in there.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Oog. . . :(

Experiencing "The Void" sucks; especially when it's left by the loss of someone you perceive as always having been there; especially when it's someone we perceive as from an era of giants.  My best to your family.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,160 Senior Member
    Sympathies for your and your family.  Real sorry to hear that
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss.  Your dad seemed to have had a very full and rewarding life.  Thank God for the Good Guys of his era.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,660 Senior Member
    Condolences for loss of your dad.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    I'm sorry for your loss.  
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    Very sorry to hear of your loss.  Losing our parents is the toughest!  Thoughts and prayers with you  and your family!  God Bless!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #26
    Sorry for your loss Varmintmist, he sounds very much like a bloke you could be proud of.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear it.  He sounds like a great man.  Prayers
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,401 Senior Member
    Thanks guys.

He did a lot and came a long way. His business was built on word of mouth and contrary to liberal thinking he was honest and still grossed what would be well over a mil in todays dollars. Not the easiest guy to live with, but he had a quick wit and an attitude that he would get it done. He wasnt always right, but he was more than not. He was also the boss, so you could have an opinion, then do it his way. My uncle brought up the story of when dad was 13 and he was 7 my grandfather brought home a Farmall M. He asked my uncle if he wanted to go for a ride, and they did, until the grandfather pulled up the drive.

Just a tip. If you are doing any planning, pre pay your stuff for your kids.
    He did and that made this go a lot smoother. He laid out what he wanted and there were very few decisions left to me. I have kept plenty busy with what was left over and I can imagine what this would have been like having to deal with all of the arraignments and the relatives and the retirement home and what I havent found out about yet.

My sister and I are co executors, but she lives near Boston so I pretty much have the duty. It looks like he may have taken care of most of that also, or at least arranged it to be minimal effort.
    Another pro tip,
    Make a list of all your assets. WITH acct numbers and phone numbers, and go over it with your executor. I know where most of stuff is, but there are a few things with partial info that I have to hunt down.It wont take long for you to do it, and hunting down stuff after this happens, just isnt necessary.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 733 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear of your loss, just saw this and offer my sincere condolences.  I think we can be prepared but are never really ready for the actual event when it does happen. :'(
  • Lt.Lt. New Member Posts: 40 Member
    Sorry for your loss!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,860 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear....sounded like a heck of a guy.  Lucky to have him for 87 years.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain