Home Main Category General Firearms

Inertia Recoil Reducer

2»

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    The person who stole it never shot it. It was one of several firearms stolen at the same time. Collectively, they were worth ~$3K in 1976 dollars. He sold the entire lot in the parking lot of a bar in Jackson, MS for $20.

A couple months later my Dad got a call from a detective with the Jackson PD saying they'd recovered our guns and to come claim them. (Unfortunately, my dad didn't bother to write down the detectives name). When my dad got to Jackson in person he was told they'd not recovered anything.

Thieves abound.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Back to the OP.  Fluting, vs reducer.  It seems redundant to take 6oz off the front, and add it to the back.  More importantly,  a barrel heavy rifle is much more stable than a stock heavy rifle.  As was said, if you're worried about barrel weight, go with a lighter contour.
    My .02
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    Here's an interesting article. It might be useful.
     As a practical matter, subjectively most shooters I know can’t tell the difference in recoil between an 8 ounce spring loaded weight and an 8 oz fixed weight.

https://shotgunreport.com/2013/02/15/how-recoil-reducers-work/

If the above is truly the case then fluting and adding weight to the backend might make things worse. You'll be changing the center of mass of the gun moving it closer to your shoulder (the first point of rotation) and have less mass on the end to help with muzzle rise without actually changing the overall weight of the gun.

I've not tried an inertial recoil reducer but if what they say about them is true, seems like a bad idea.

jmo

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• gofishingupgofishingup Posts: 8 New Member
    Thanks for the input. After considering everything, I don't see the benefit to a recoil reducer. Fluting the barrel appears to be more cosmetic, with maybe a tad extra recoil for the reduced weight the fluting removes. The main way to reduce the recoil appears to be the muzzle brake. I've taking everything into consideration and got some calculations and it looks like a muzzle brake would reduce recoil about 33% on this gun. I'm looking at the Terminator. I think with that reduction, it will make the recoil acceptable particularly when it's in a hunting rifle.
    Fluting is cosmetic, unless shooting world class BR, where 1/4 oz. of weight may put your rig overweight for the class you want to compete in. 

Muzzle brakes are effective and their best feature (depending on chambering) is they allow you to see and follow through your shot.

Mike
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Yes, they were both factory loads, for sure. We were kids and didn't reload at the time.

But I have read on more than one site that the .32 Win Spl would knock you around a lot more than the .30-30.

That was certainly my experience. 

That rifle was stolen when I was 16. While I wish I still had it, I'm glad I haven't had to shoot it since then. LOL.

Mike
    My dad killed his first deer with a borrowed .32 Winchester Special.  He mentioned that it kicked like a mule.  Just thought I'd throw that in.

Also, fwiw, I know from experience that bullet weight can make a big difference.  When I first got my 7mag, I worked up a 140 grain load and a 175 grain load.  With a light powder charge, the 130 grain load was like shooting a .243.  I was very surprised.  With a full house 175 grain load, even with a brake, touching it off gets your attention.  That was what it had in it when you shot it, Mike.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited December 2019 #38
    I certainly remember that shot, Jerry. Even offhand it knocked me back a step and my cap hit the ground. LOL.

Heavy for caliber bullets seem to increase recoil in a very non-linear way. My 160 Partition load in my .270 at 2850, while not painful, sure lets you know you've squeezed the trigger.

Mike
    N454casull