Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Racist souvenirs

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
edited December 2019 in Second Amendment/Politics #1
Just when I thought the lunacy had ended. 

Consuming the Confederacy

Beyond the scope of these national discussions, my research on Confederate myths and memory finds, many unexamined Confederate symbols have made their way into people’s kitchens, bedrooms and living rooms.

Take “Confederate cookbooks” that help modern-day chefs recreate the recipes of the Old South and stuffed animals based on Little Sorrel, the taxidermied war horse of Confederate General Stonewall Jackson, for example.

People probably don’t reflect on the horrors of slavery when baking an apple pie or purchasing a cuddly toy for their child. They aren’t meant to. But they are participating in that history and its mythologies nonetheless.

In that way, seemingly apolitical objects like cookbooks, toys and Christmas ornaments commemorating Confederate history serve to normalize the objects, rituals and stories surrounding the Confederacy.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2019/12/24/confederate-christmas-ornaments-are-smaller-than-statues-but-they-send-the-same-racist-message/
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    Just when I thought the lunacy had ended. 

Consuming the Confederacy

Beyond the scope of these national discussions, my research on Confederate myths and memory finds, many unexamined Confederate symbols have made their way into people’s kitchens, bedrooms and living rooms.

Take “Confederate cookbooks” that help modern-day chefs recreate the recipes of the Old South and stuffed animals based on Little Sorrel, the taxidermied war horse of Confederate General Stonewall Jackson, for example.

People probably don’t reflect on the horrors of slavery when baking an apple pie or purchasing a cuddly toy for their child. They aren’t meant to. But they are participating in that history and its mythologies nonetheless.

In that way, seemingly apolitical objects like cookbooks, toys and Christmas ornaments commemorating Confederate history serve to normalize the objects, rituals and stories surrounding the Confederacy.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2019/12/24/confederate-christmas-ornaments-are-smaller-than-statues-but-they-send-the-same-racist-message/

'And while these keepsakes may seem apolitical, their very circulation enables Confederate myths and symbols to become “normal” features of people’s daily lives. My research suggests they can thus desensitize Americans to the destructive nature of such stories and icons'.

This statement confirms the 'Lunacy' for me. Terrible things were done by both sides (which is common in all civil wars). The symbols and artifacts should be on display reminding us forever not to repeat them.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,306 Senior Member
    Having lived on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line (and west of it), I can assure you that without a doubt I'd rather have a Confederate cookbook than a Yankee one.

I must be racist.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    Spreading like wildfire?

Really?

How did I miss that????
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I've never understood why people are so obsessed with memorabilia from history's losers.
    Oh, come on now.... I'm pretty sure you have a "Hillary in 2016" bumper sticker stashed somewhere......

Mike
    N454casull
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I've never understood why people are so obsessed with memorabilia from history's losers.
    The collectors or the lefties writing OpEds? 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,111 Senior Member
    32 years ago I quit drinking. Before that time, I did things that most folks don't brag or even talk about, including me. Irreguardless those experiences are part of who I am, and my son knows about many of them. The same can be said about history. What was remains unaltered by intentional ignorance, ridicule, glorification, opinion, embellishment, detraction or judgement. It belligerently defies the distortion of convenience.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Having lived on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line (and west of it), I can assure you that without a doubt I'd rather have a Confederate cookbook than a Yankee one.

I must be racist.

Mike
    I like me some Southern cooking too, but I doubt it has much to do with the Confederacy.

To witness this phenomenon, I went to Amazon and searched the term "Confederate cookbook". Those are some slim pickings. I am not sure where the author is getting this from. It actually sounds like she is blowing it out her ass to generate some outrage. And yea... Alpha is probably right that it will get more views by those outraged by the outrage.

This is outrageous!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    A search for "little sorrel toy" doesn't come up with much either. A sorrel horse is just a chestnut colored horse and has very little to do with Stonewall Jackson unless you are going out of your way to be outraged over nothing.
    -Thomas Paine
    Well....I'm outraged. General Jackson was blown off his sorrel horse by one of his own men. That sorrel horse lost the war for my people, and I'm outraged every time I see one.

Mike
    N454casull

Just saw this on Instagram. Found it hilarious in relation to this thread.
    And then the murders began.

Mike
    N454casull
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,352 Senior Member
    I know, right?

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,692 Senior Member

Just saw this on Instagram. Found it hilarious in relation to this thread.
    Well he’s got half his Instagram user name right.  That’s a good way to kickstart your violent demise...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,842 Senior Member
    I like pecan pie
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,692 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #16
    I know, right?

Except they won. Twice.
    The ONLY reason that “Dream Team” won, TWICE...

I’m cheering for Bloomberg as an independent for 2020!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,089 Senior Member
    NN said:
    I like pecan pie
    Me too! Preferably frozen.
    EVERYTHING is "racist" according to the Left. The word has lost all meaning.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    People need to get better at telling the propigators of this nonsense to go pound sand...

I can't do that on most sites. Between the auto censors and getting banned, it's a hard row to hoe.
    Anyway, only 3-5% of Southerners owned even ONE slave, and no one has given me an adequate explanation on why the other 95-97% of Southerners fought given that they didn't have a dog in the slavery fight thing.
    As to  the Confederate battle flag and union jack, many men, and young boys, rallied around that flag, went into battle under that flag, and were killed or maimed for life under it. The KKK marched under the U.S. flag for most of the KKK V1, and V2 period, and only coopted the battle flag for KKK V3 during the last iteration. Does that make the U.S. flag a racist symbol? Same rules should apply; look up the Clan Bake for one reference.
    And if all y'all what don't like the South retire, then retire to California; we don't want ya! :D:D:D 

Look at my  avatar carefully. That flag might not be what you think. :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,111 Senior Member
    Since almost all the responses to these threads never indicate anything stronger than mild irritation. The editorials must be, for the most part, failing to instigate outrage.

The real crime though, is the total absence of anything for dinner.......
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 887 Senior Member
    Yep, need a new one. I've got a suggestion. 

Except they won also.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #21
     alphasigmookie said:

Maybe you can explain the Left's obsession with the Indigenous, I mean history's losers. 

Losing a war doesn't mean the cause wasn't righteous. 

Adam J. McCleod

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,543 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #22
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Paul... time to take your medication. You posted in the wrong thread.
    -Thomas Paine
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Rather refreshing...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    I beg your pardon. He gives meds.

Mike
    N454casull
    I beg your pardon. He gives meds.

Mike
    My bad.

Paul... the meds are for the patients.
    -Thomas Paine
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 887 Senior Member
    They say you should never self medicate.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    edited December 2019 #28
    Accipiter said:
    They say you should never self medicate
    Well, just try asking your best friend to help you with the Prep H.

Mike
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,543 Senior Member
    I was multi-tasking a few too many things.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,463 Senior Member
    Interesting that we're having a discussion of "Confederate Cookbooks" and debating the notion of the Confederacy as "losers". . .

. . .when one of the major reasons Lee's army surrendered is that they didn't have anything to cook.  Pretty sure they'd have used any actual cookbooks as kindling or toilet paper.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    General Lee's troops wanted to carry on a guerilla war instead of surrendering. All y'all should be glad Gen. Lee talked them out of that path; things would have got ugly quick and lasted for a long time. The recent examples of the Viet Nam war, and the 20 years and counting war in Afghanistan should not be overlooked as to how effective that tactic is.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams