Home Main Category General Firearms

Worst gun trades/deals?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,227 Senior Member
We've done best trades, so how about worst ones?

I bought a Savage 99 .243 for $200 at an auction.  It had the cartridge counter, so it had to be fairly old.  I really didn't want it, but no one was bidding on it, so why not.

On my way out of the auction, I was stopped by someone who told me he had a friend who might be interested in it.  I gave him my name and phone number, and told him I would let it go for $240.

The following Monday I did exactly that.  Looking back, I can only wonder what the heck was I thinking.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,833 Senior Member
    25 or so years ago I special ordered a Remington KS model Seven rifle in 223 Rem. I was impetuous and impatient. After several weeks I traded the yet unrecieved rifle to the LGS owner that ordered it form me for a Remington 700 BDL VLS in 22-250.. The later got sold a long time back. The model 7 would never have left my warm living hand. :'(
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,664 Senior Member
    Beyond selling a few guns for a fraction of their worth when I was younger in order to pay bills...every trade I have made since was done with full knowledge of what I was doing...
    Last time I had a guy offer me one of my grail guns...A Marlin 1895 .45-70 Cowboy...a gun I had been searching for for better than 20 years...so we made a trade...he walked away with one of my safe queens,a Browning High Wall in 7mm Rem. Mag. With a 28" round to octagon barrel
    The value between the two was substantial, however, we both walked away happy...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,516 Senior Member
    I've sold only one gun in my life, and just wish I'd held out for $100 more, but no big deal. 
    The barrel was going south way too early in it's life to be a reliable pdog rig. Told that to the guy I sold it to, but he didn't care. He was going to use it as a 'yote rig, and it had years of life left for that. (Funny, you can kill a pdog barrel in a single outing if you're inattentive, but for most other endeavors it usually takes some time). Can't say it was a bad deal, but it was worth a good bit more than I sold it for.

OTOH, I've given away a few firearms that I wish I'd put a bit more thought into.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,786 Senior Member
    I sold a Marlin lever in 44 mag, wasn't totally enamored with it  but should have kept it. Saw it a few months later in a gun shop for $100 more them I sold it for. I did buy another Marlin later in 30-30 for $100 less then I sold the 44 for.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,420 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #6
    A few years ago I saw a 4'' Diamondback .22LR in it'd cardboard box for $600...... and I thought, ''Boy that's expensive.''
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,516 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    A few years ago I saw a 4'' Diamondback .22LR in it'd cardboard box for $600...... and I thought, ''Boy that's expensive.''
    Possibly my only grail gun. What a deal!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,542 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #8
    I did an even swap: a SBH for a MkII gov't model. I shoot the .22 way more than that .44.

Remembered another one: 

Swapped even a SRH in .480 w/scope(brand forgotten) for a M77 in 7 mag and a Bushnell scope  for my son. I don't reload, couldn't afford to shoot the SRH enough to be proficient for hunting and I needed a deer rifle. May not have been a smart trade but I don't regret either trade. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,384 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #9
    I sold a Colt Python made in 1963-64 in 99% condition for $700.  I'd had the gun for probably 20 years and didn't remember exactly what I paid for it, and I made money but lost my mind.  It was probably a $1500-$2000 gun.  I should have checked on GB, lesson learned.  Thanks for reminding me of this, now I'm going to lean against a tree and kick my own ass. :smiley: )

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    I sold a Colt Python made in 1963-64 in 99% condition for $700.  I'd had the gun for probably 20 years and didn't remember exactly what I paid for it, and I made money but lost my mind.  It was probably a $1500-$2000 gun.  I should have checked on GB, lesson learned.  Thanks for reminding me of this, now I'm going to lean against a tree and kick my own ass. :smiley: )

I guess the physical therapy is working then? 😁
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I don’t recall ever losing money on a gun deal.  I have however, sold guns to friends at well under market value, but I’ve never thought of that as a bad deal.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,572 Senior Member
    Back before I understood how pawn shops work, I went to my local one, which is also my LGS, and bought an HK USP in .45acp.  I hated it, and took it back two weeks later to trade in on a Springfield XD tactical.  They gave me just over half of what I paid for it to go towards the new gun.  Never did that again. 
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.