Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

A good CNN article regarding guns and the NRA

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,303 Senior Member
    Not many CNN articles I read to the end. That was a good, balanced one.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    It was written over 2 years ago, but she did a fair job of it.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,303 Senior Member
    The Constitution was written over 2 years ago.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,718 Senior Member
    Surprising indeed, did they change hands or maybe their viewing numbers are way down.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 887 Senior Member
    Good article.  I suspect her interaction with the individual attendees had a more powerful impact than anything one of the speakers said.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,458 Senior Member
    The author of that article is from India.  One of the most stark cases for private gun ownership and against dependency on government that I've ever seen came out of India.

A couple years back - I don't remember the source - I came across the story of how in a rural Indian area, wolves had taken to sneaking into the villages and eating the small children. 

Being of Euro/American heritage, the vision that came to my mind was that of the northern wolf species - the 100-plus pound apex predators that run in large packs and are capable of killing elk, bison and other extremely large herbivores.

I dug a little deeper and found that the Indian variety is a scrawny little thing, appearing to be little more than a large coyote.  If a Canadian gray wolf is captain of the football team, the Indian wolf is the nerd in the sweater vest on the chess club.  They don't even have numbers working for them - usually hunting in pairs and living in packs of under a dozen.

The reaction from the disarmed local population to the child-eatings was lots of wailing, hand-wringing, and petitioning the local government to come in and deal with the wolf problem - as I recall, with a lot of bureaucratic hoops and red tape to contend with.

My reaction - being an American - was that if they'd send out a couple of motivated junior high school boys with Mini-14's, they could solve their problem over a weekend for the cost of a six pack of soda and a couple of peanut butter sandwiches.

It gelled a couple of things in my brain:  Number One, if you're dependent on your government to solve your littlest problems, you could be spending a long spell waiting for them to show up; and Number Two, if you are that government, you're going to be expending a lot of time and energy looking after the folks you have conditioned to be unable to look after themselves.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,926 Senior Member
    I fully believe a range day for non gun people would change a lot of minds.  Not a bad article.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    After that article I wonder if she is still employed by CNN.
    No good deed goes unpunished...