Home Main Category General Firearms

Not a great day at the range

BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
edited December 2019 in General Firearms #1
Between being sick since thanksgiving, weather, and life getting in the the way have not shot in 2 months.  Went to steel challenge match today and had a few duds with .22 and then had an out of battery 9mm go off on me.  Sprayed a few granules at me but no damage.  It was the fastest stage but I don't think I was outshooting the gun but maybe.  Cleared it and checked it out and continued on without incident.

After the match I went to try my first 30 carbine reloads, new mags and shoot the Garand some.  First mag with the lightest load, shot all 15 rounds great.  Was hitting at 100 yards plus easily.  Next mag, old one that has worked in the past, .2 grain increase in powder won't chamber.  All new brass and bullets made in the same sitting.  No changes but the charge.  I try several bullets and all the same.  About 3/8 inch from chambering.  Try different mag, same.  Loaded some factory bullets, same. So I put it away and switch go the Garand.

Garand is a CMP Special in .308. Essentially a new gun or at least totally rebuilt with a new barrel stock and springs.  Loaded up 4 clips of Creedmore 165 grain ammo I got from CMP.  The thing shoots like a dream.  Shot all 4 without incident hitting steel out to 200 yards, range limit.

At least something worked right.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,981 Senior Member
    Ya can't hit 'em all, but you can always rely on a Garand!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Any day at the range is a good day, unless you drew some blood (yours) and even then you might end up with a great story!

M-1 Garand, Carbine and .22? My kind of a fun day!

Can't realize why a powder increase and new components is causing a failure to chambering. Check if the chamber is ok and free of any obstruction and try some factory ammo to be sure headspace is ok.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I think the 30 carbine case tapers from .355 at the base to .335 at the neck. Never hurts to check those dimensions with a caliper. If they're in spec, it at least eliminates that as the problem.